Suggestions on good UPS for PJ

I use a 1KVA APC UPS for my projector. It lasts for a long time.
Make sure you do not connect your AVR or other digital audio equipment to the UPS. The ProFx guys claim that a lot of Denon AVRs are damaged that way. My Denon 2809 came with a big red sticker on the top of the box warning that the warranty would be void if used with an inverter/UPS!

Thanks,
Sharad

Sharad, Thats a very good input about AVRs. Actually you should use a proper surge protector with an AVR. AVRs are more prone to power spike. Belkin is a very good brand when it comes to surge protectors. I use it for my AVR.

More on the UPS >> When the UPS ages (say after 1 yr) you should test it with a device of equivalent power rating and see if it can hold on for the required time. Its not a good idea to test a UPS with a projector switched ON.

I have an old 500VA APC UPS. Backup time is very bad. I am getting Optoma HD65 which has a power draw of 265W. I think it would be a bad idea to use this old UPS. Perhaps I should go for a 1VA APC one?

The basic idea is to let the projector cool down before the power goes off completely, right?

I have an old 500VA APC UPS. Backup time is very bad. I am getting Optoma HD65 which has a power draw of 265W. I think it would be a bad idea to use this old UPS. Perhaps I should go for a 1VA APC one?

The basic idea is to let the projector cool down before the power goes off completely, right?

John, if you replace the battery of your old UPS with a new one, it should be able to do the job, otherwise u can go for a 650va or 1 KV UPS

I use a 1KVA APC UPS for my projector. It lasts for a long time.
Make sure you do not connect your AVR or other digital audio equipment to the UPS. The ProFx guys claim that a lot of Denon AVRs are damaged that way. My Denon 2809 came with a big red sticker on the top of the box warning that the warranty would be void if used with an inverter/UPS!

Thanks,
Sharad

I have currently connected my Onkyo AVR (the 560 AVR that comes with 5100 ) to a voltage stabilizer and was evaluating between using a CVT and an UPS.. the above warning has me confused. Are we saying that raw power is safer than an inverted / UPS for an AVR ..if so...WHY ?

Request somebody on this forum to rearticulate / point to links explaining the best choices for power supply to Televisions (especially Plasma), AVR's, subwoofers and DVD players.

Sriram
:confused:

Most Inverters and budget UPS produce Square wave or Quasi Square wave outpt.

Such Square wave or Quasi Square wave output damages the Trasformer/s in the power supply part of your AV gear. (Sq wave saturates the Iron core of the trasformer , then trasformer overheats and eventually burns) .
So never use any SQ Wave output Inverter or UPS to power your AV Gear.

In a PC SMPS is used , SMPS has no problem with SQ Wave input.Most TVs also falls into this category.

You can add a Pure Sine wave Inverter or UPS but such things will cost you more than your entire AV setup!. The best budget protection for your AV gear from Voltage fluctation and surges could be a well made Servo Voltage Stabilizers with EMI-RFI filters installed. There are several brands to choose from , KryKard, Vertex, Aplab are some good one. I use KryKard.

There are some dedicated power regeneratores such as PS Audio but those are very expensive.

Search on this forum for 'Voltage Stabilizer' for some more information.

Hope this helps.

Hi SuhasG, That was a good piece of information... I am using a V-Gaurd 600VA UPS with my Sony LCD TV. From your post I guess any UPS would be ok for TVs... or is there anything else? I am a little scared to switch on my TV now!

Regards

Denon receiver is the only component I have come across where they recommend 'not using an UPS'. I have used a UPS with other things like projector, DVD player, Blu-ray player, etc. without any issues. According to the ProFx guys, even the so called pure sign wave UPS/inverters do not produce a pure sign wave. Apparently they have tested this, after many customers came back with damaged receivers. So now they have these big red warnings on all the receiver boxes.

Thanks,
Sharad

Sharad,

You are right. The Denon amp has a clear-cut red sticker with a warning not to use with UPS.

Hi SuhasG, That was a good piece of information... I am using a V-Gaurd 600VA UPS with my Sony LCD TV. From your post I guess any UPS would be ok for TVs... or is there anything else? I am a little scared to switch on my TV now!

Regards

PCs and all modern CRT , LCD and Plasma TV sets incorporate a SMPS. SMPS first converts input AC volatge (160-270 VAC in India) to equivalent DC, then it is chopped(switched) and then converted into a high frequency (several Kilo Hertz) AC voltage for futher processing. So if you feed a square wave AC to the SMPS no harm is caused as it is any way going to be converted into a DC.

While in appliances using a linear power supply, input AC volatge (160-270 VAC in India) is directly fed to a linear trasformer, which is a typical Iron Core one and needs sine wave volatge at its input to function properly. If a sqare wave or quasi square wave is fed to this Iron core trasformer , it gets saturated then heats and over heats and fail.

Inverters and cheap UPS provide only Square wave or quasi square wave output, it is quite cheap to make one such. Such Inverters and cheap UPS are meant for common household appliances such as (low end) DVDP, TVs, PCS and all lighting loads etc but it is strictly NO for any appliances incorporating Linear Power supply such as dedicated CDP, Amplifiers, AVRs etc.

Voltage stabilizers come in various types, such as Servo, solid state or Relay based . Solida stae and relay based stabilizers are of no much use because their responce time is slow , so before it acts on voltage spike, a damage is already done, futher such designs use tap changing technology so volatge control is not crisp but always within a bind of 5 to 10 % +/-. A servo voltage stabilizer on the other hand uses an Auto transformer and it is controlled by a Servo Motor , though it is not ligthening fast it has a better grip and control on Output voltage within +/- 1% (that is 2-3 V over/below rated 230V) . Even this can't take on those nano-second spikes for that one has to use spike suppressors.

Then there are some high end Power regnerators. They use Battery power as a source , this DC from the battery is cobverted into very stable and accurate AC. AC mains is used only to charge those batteries. Online Sine wave UPS also follows the same methodology. But both designs are quite expensive. Because of In Rush current requirements (during Power on) we have to get a much larger capacity UPS/ Power regenrator, than actually needed during steady state operations.

So a well made Servo Volatge Stabilizer is the best budget solution for Voltage fluctuations.

Hope this helps

So - can projector be connected with an UPS?

Most Inverters and budget UPS produce Square wave or Quasi Square wave outpt.

Such Square wave or Quasi Square wave output damages the Trasformer/s in the power supply part of your AV gear. (Sq wave saturates the Iron core of the trasformer , then trasformer overheats and eventually burns) .
So never use any SQ Wave output Inverter or UPS to power your AV Gear.

In a PC SMPS is used , SMPS has no problem with SQ Wave input.Most TVs also falls into this category.

You can add a Pure Sine wave Inverter or UPS but such things will cost you more than your entire AV setup!. The best budget protection for your AV gear from Voltage fluctation and surges could be a well made Servo Voltage Stabilizers with EMI-RFI filters installed. There are several brands to choose from , KryKard, Vertex, Aplab are some good one. I use KryKard.

There are some dedicated power regeneratores such as PS Audio but those are very expensive.

Search on this forum for 'Voltage Stabilizer' for some more information.

Hope this helps.

Suhas - any help? I am holding back on buying a UPS for my panasonic pt ax200u - waiting for your answer.
Also - what is the difference between a CVT and a servo stabilizer? Where can I buy one in NCR - Noida/ Delhi - and which brand, without worrying about the salesperson selling me inferior stuff?

regards

Please check your mailbox for my PM.
Recently I have explained CVT else where on this forum. Please search for CVT. IMHO Servo is better than CVT for Audio/ HiFi gears.

There are couple of Sevo Stab makers such as KryKard, Vertex. Both are having Delhi sales offices, Vertex is slightly cheaper than KryKard (by say 10%) In fact Vertex guys are Ex-KryKard (at least that is what I heard).

If you conclude on Sevo stab pick any one out of Vertex and KryKard. Get EMI-RFI filter installed (that is about Rs 800~1000 extra).

You can always find a local brand selling quite cheap (typically 50% less than these two brands) but as far as possible stay with either of these two brands

Hope this helps.

Suhas - any help? I am holding back on buying a UPS for my panasonic pt ax200u - waiting for your answer.
Also - what is the difference between a CVT and a servo stabilizer? Where can I buy one in NCR - Noida/ Delhi - and which brand, without worrying about the salesperson selling me inferior stuff?

regards

Thanks Suhas for your quick reply.
The manual says 100240 V AC, 50/60 Hz.
It doesn't require any manual switch. It works out of the box for both 110V and 230V, and it is light weight too. So shall I assume it is an SMPS?

Reason for going for UPS is the brand name of APC, backup time to allow the fan to cool.

Any dealer/ contacts in Delhi for these "good quality" servo stabs?

regards

Re: UPS VA calculator

Folks just use this website to see what should be the minimum and recommended VA rating of your UPS for your projectors.

Suhas mentioned not to use cheaper UPS's (or PC UPSs) which output square waves and he is absolutely right, however sine-wave UPSs are not that expensive. Power One in Peenya, Bangalore makes sine-wave UPSs (as do many others). I bought a 1.5KW UPS with a 10 min battery back-up for 17.5K. Anyone considering a stablizer option should consider the potential price difference to buy a UPS with a similar capacity.
You should ask for a online, double-conversion UPS such that your output is always taken from the battery and not the mains even when mains is available.

cheers

Last edited:
Hi I need to decide in between 2 UPSs for my PJ.

EITHER

APC 1100 VA

OR

Numeric 1 KV.

My vendor tells me the APC one is reported to have problems? Can anyone confirm. Both cost around the same, the Numeric is a little bit more expensive?

Urgent help required.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back