Tata Sky vs Big Tv

That again may not be true as anuragn has already pointed out above. The STBs (both Tatasky+ and big TV) MAY be capable of HD output. Please go through his post as I cannot find better word to describe the same.

Look, even if we get HD channels, it might not be 1080p. If its 720p or 576p or 1080i, then an upscaling STB would upscale the channel images to 1080p! Just like any upscaling dvd player does (The upscaling done in case of DivX videos via hdmi to 1080p is awesome. So imagine something like that on your STB!). So, upscaling options would definitely help! Even 576i is supposedly more high def than dvd, coz it has higher resolution than a standard dvd. So, am I watching high def on my Big TV STB? Definitely not! (My MX component cable upscales to 576i by default when connected with the stb)
At this point, without the upscaling, there's no option (in both Big Tv and Tata Sky Plus STB) to achieve a 1080p resolution. Only if a video signal is 1080p, only then will a component produce 1080p. Otherwise a componet cable (without the upscaling options) would display images as it gets it. 720p, 576p, or 1080i.

Last edited:
As far as I know, all HD transmission is in 1080i format and not p.
And why does the STB need to upscale? It can be of "pass-through" type, where it would simply output the signal in its original form as i have said in my previous post.
And a standard DVD is 576i, although a VCD is lesser (3xx don't exactly remember).
Also, how can a cable upscale to 576i?
Anyway, I'm only saying: Do not jump to conclusions unless it is confirmed that we need to buy new STBs for HD.
And also, comparing TS+ with Big TV is not fair, becoz TS+ has a video recorder, hence the extra cost. How much extra should be OK is another question though.

Rs. 350 is automatically deducted from your account balance.

For me TS deducted 600rs which is the normal relocation charge. I hate it when people call it DVD quality. I havent seen BIGTV so no comments. But i have my reservations about quality with channels which are compressed so highly

As far as I know, all HD transmission is in 1080i format and not p.
And why does the STB need to upscale? It can be of "pass-through" type, where it would simply output the signal in its original form as i have said in my previous post.
And a standard DVD is 576i, although a VCD is lesser (3xx don't exactly remember).
Also, how can a cable upscale to 576i?
Anyway, I'm only saying: Do not jump to conclusions unless it is confirmed that we need to buy new STBs for HD.
And also, comparing TS+ with Big TV is not fair, becoz TS+ has a video recorder, hence the extra cost. How much extra should be OK is another question though.

Upscaling should be the job of your AVR and not of the STB. i would be happy to gobble up any STB which gives me a 480i/576i via HDMI.
But yes, I would really love to receive "true" 1080i..(not 480 stuff upscaled to 1080i )
Waiting for the HD :)

For me TS deducted 600rs which is the normal relocation charge. I hate it when people call it DVD quality. I havent seen BIGTV so no comments. But i have my reservations about quality with channels which are compressed so highly

You're right. None of the DTH players are using true DVD quality imaging. Try this simple test if you have an LCD. Play a standard good quality DVD (not DVD rip but a true 4.5 GB DVD) from your dvd player. Check the picture quality. Immediately after that switch on your STB and check the image quality of channels there. I'm sure you'll catch the difference. No DTH company, be it BIG or TATA SKY are true dvd quality.Look, I have my support for Big TV as I feel it has a better quality of signal than Tata SKY but all said and done, both of them are not upto the mark. As far as compression is concerned, I would say that a DivX video produces almost the same quality of sharpness as a dvd with much lower bitrates and much less space consumption. The point that DivX(MPEG4) is more convenient for users than MPEG2 can be seen by just browsing through any torrent site.

Again, none of the DTH companies provide CD quality sound. I mean haven't these people heard a CD before? The amazing clarity of a CD is really awesome. To a keen listener an mp3 and an audio cd track means a huge difference. I can definitely say that no DTH provider has true CD quality sound, no matter what they claim.

Last edited:
being a tata sky customer since beginning, i never noticed any "hanging" of channels and i notice, the PQ in past month has improved. being the pioneers in dish tv and with Tata name i would prefer it if given choice with airtel or reliance. As far as component or HD quality is concerned so long as they are not broadcasting in HDMI then how does it matter?
Moreover, it is not practical for a customer to keep switching service providers whenever one or the other upgrades its overall service. Market forces will compel even the most indifferent supplier(unless its a Govt agency, but nowadays even they have to improve, look at MTNL!) to improve its quality or lose the customer base.

Moreover, it is not practical for a customer to keep switching service providers whenever one or the other upgrades its overall service.

That is what the Indian govt. was initially trying. They wanted to ensure that the same hardware (set top box) should work with all operators. So that you can switch to a different service provider whenever you want. (The way a SIM card allows you to change service providers, without changing the mobile phone). Unfortunately none of that worked at the ground level.

By the way, Tata Sky were not the pioneers in DTH in India. They came long after DishTV and DD-Direct. I wish they use some of the good technology the SKY has. The new operators use MPEG4 compression so they could provide better picture quality using the same bandwidth if they wanted. There were talks about starting HiDef transmission by the end on 2008, but the recession is taking its toll. Most of the DTH operators in India are incurring huge losses right now. I just hope they survive.

Thanks,
Sharad

By the way, Tata Sky were not the pioneers in DTH in India. They came long after DishTV and DD-Direct. I wish they use some of the good technology the SKY has. The new operators use MPEG4 compression so they could provide better picture quality using the same bandwidth if they wanted. There were talks about starting HiDef transmission by the end on 2008, but the recession is taking its toll. Most of the DTH operators in India are incurring huge losses right now. I just hope they survive.

Thanks,
Sharad[/QUOTE]
Thank you sharad for your useful inputs, invariably Govt fails to install controls to safeguard the consumer,where they're must due to various internal equation the private operators are able to manage within the ministry and various deptt. We may have to wait a long time before we get the state of art technology the Sky or others use worldwide,till such time we have to see only what they are dishing out or else buy good quality CDs/ DVDs to enjoy what you want to see.

Here is some news.

Not entirely disappointing :)

Regards,
Sharad
--------------------------
Business Standard
Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009

With a subscriber base of around 10 million since its launch in 2003, the DTH television service has not been finding it so easy to dislodge the cable operators from peoples homes. In its efforts to attract more people, the HD TV was expected to play a big part.
But, the HD (high-definition) TV rollout is expected to slow down, thanks to the depreciating rupee. When the rupee was stronger the industry had it better. The set-top boxes, used to unscramble the signals, get costlier as the rupee gets weaker as these set-top boxes are imported.

Tata Sky has already introduced its PVR (personal video recorder) service. Dish TV had plans to start selling its HD set top boxes by December 2008. BIG TV plans to launch its HD services by Q4 of current fiscal.

According to industry sources, some 3 million set-top boxes are imported by the DTH operators every year. The industry has seen more competition with new entrants like Big TV and Airtel DTH joining the party in 2008, joining the existing operators like Dish TV, Tata Sky and Sun Direct.

Hi,
Does anyone know if we can transfer Big TV from one person to another? My friends own a Big TV connection, but doesn't want to use it. He has not yet activated his connection, but has the Dish and the STB with him. Will it be possible for me to take it from him and get it activated and use it?
Thanks

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back