Tata Sky vs. Videocon D2H

Once you decide to do that, you will see that Airtel (or anyone for that matter) will come running.

I wish that were true. But it looks like one mafia in business disguise. I am still awaiting my refund. Even a consumer court order wouldnt make them refund. They wanted some identification number that was never generated / known only to them. I gave every detail I had to no avail. Airtel on a downslide on all fronts for a long while now. Interesting how theyre still in business.

We keep asking when Tatasky will add more HD channels - ever wonder when D2H which currently has the most, will add more?
Anyone has a list of HD channels that are actually legally available to be downlinked to India ?

Just changed my videocon SD DTH with a videocon HD DVR 2222 on payment for a yearly platinum pack (HD) Rs 5760. Reasonable. They replaced the STB free, (without the dish and cable.).

One big disadvantage- it can record only that program u r watching...which i didnot know before.
So think befor u buy..

DVR can record two channel simultaneously and you can see any one of them...this is because it has two tuners.

Videocon seems to have raised the prices of the Offer of the HD set-top box with 12month Platinum HD pack from 5600 to 7100.:mad:

My TS mega pack is ending next week. Not sure whether it is best time to switch? I was planning to shift to D2H. Now it is bad news for people like me.

just came to know from internal source at Tata Sky, that they have received the go ahead for the 2nd satellite. Just waiting for hand over to them. soon they will launch a lot more HD channels..

just came to know from internal source at Tata Sky, that they have received the go ahead for the 2nd satellite. Just waiting for hand over to them. soon they will launch a lot more HD channels..

Thanks for the great news, but can you specify how soon will this be done, as my subscription is near for a renewal. And I was thinking of shifting to another operator.

Thanks for the great news, but can you specify how soon will this be done, as my subscription is near for a renewal. And I was thinking of shifting to another operator.

I suggest dont shift..
D2H has problems issues with the STB. Airtel is infamous for it great customer service and superb complaint resolution..

Atleast the TS guys heed to complaints..

Tatasky is moving all the SD channels to MPEG4 format. This will create lot of space to add more channels. I would suggest stick to Tatasky. Even if they don't get a new satellite soon, migration to MPEG4 will create enough space for few channels.

Ash..I m listening for the last two years that TS is shifting to another satellite.Dont know how much time they will take to upgrade ?

@saketb, you can take the middle route. If you are not sure about switching just as of now, you can keep TS with monthly recharges.

I feel that MPEG4 changeover will happen but will take quite a while - give or take six months. As far as change to new satellite, as audio_passionate said, we have been hearing of this for over two years. My guess is nothing is going to change substantially in the next six months.

The futue of Tata Sky is not secure. Already we have seen that due to their immense poor planning their customers have suffered alot by getting least number of chs and paying the highest price.

Even if they get transponders from GSAT10 still they will loose Insat 4A transponders very soon as its life has been shortened by power glitches so again in next few years tata sky will land up in bandwidth crunch.

I mean tata sky waited for GSAT 10 for six years without plan B, who does that?
They have strong brand value so their sales r fine and they keep giving weird excuses when asked why they r not increasing channel count
Why tata sky did not shift to MPEG4 2010 onwards when they knew that they will face space crunch in future, also why they are so adamant on not moving to a foreign satellites as foreign satellites launch on time and start operating on time unlike ISRO Satellites.
Had told tata sky about this 3 years back but as usual they didn't do anything

Videoon dh launched in 2009 and have planned all things properly, they have maximum channels be it standard definition or high definition, they charge least for packages, customers support is excellent. Plus their future is secure as they will get new transponders form Singtel on a timely basis and their transponders are of 54 mhz capacity each unlike 36 mh transponders used by other dth ops

Navin u dont have HD DVR, the stb u have is the new HD STB in which u can record thru USB port

Just now got a call from TS CC. My subscription for 2 years is over on 2nd Sep. He wanted to remind me for the renewal. The current cost is 6400 against the 5500 then ( I paid 10K for 2 years). Following things after a detail conversation with him.

1. They are switching to MPEG-4 codecs so that they can launch more channels.:yahoo:
2. They are loosing quite a bit of customers for not being able to launch many new channels w.r.t. competition. Specially the HD channels:clapping:
3. He said that already they have begun the process and most likely they will get 22-23 HD channels within few weeks, in fact, before end of September :eek:

All these are definitely good news. Now the question is that, should I stick to them? How about extending it by another month or two by subscribing to GRAND SPORTS PACK plus HD access fee of Rs 100. I would have jumped out to D2H had they continued with the 5600 or so annual offer with the dish+set-top box (it is now over 7K). If this time they fails, then I will have no options but to jump to D2H around Diwali time. So let me give them another chance.

Another dampener is that the guy told me that the Annual package price might be reviewed upward post the addition of new channels (as it happens normally), but I think that may not be possible considering that they already are charging much higher than others. In that case also it will be easier for me to decide to jump to D2H.

manzb, for the time being, "wait and watch" policy is the best. So my advice will be to extend by monthly subscriptions - even if, this means a little more expense. Perhaps you can choose a package that will best suit everybody and at the same time not dig a hole in the trouser pockets. Come end-Dec, and I will be in the same boat.

I would not trust the TS guy with any credit - they are bound to say that (increasing channels and all that). I was told the same thing, in April this year - ??, ?? ????? ?? ???? ???? ???? ???? ?????? ... ?? ???, Movies Now HD ?? Zee Studio HD ?? ??????? ... ??? ?? ??? ??... ???? ?? ?? ?????? ?????.

Tatasky will definitely increase package price too ... coolly stating the number of increased channels, very conveniently forgetting that they were charging a bomb even when there were less channels. The real reason is because they are honour bound to supply free MPEG-4 STBs - some 5 million of them. Now even if the cost (and I mean purchase cost) of each STB is Rs. 1500, just imaging the burden. Now that brings to yet another side of the coin - if they are truly going to increase channels, especially HD channels and jacking up the price soo after, it makes sense to go with the Annual Mega Pack offer and get price protection with automatic channel inclusion.

Be it as it may, the "wait and watch" approach is the best. Stick till a quarter and then decide. I will probably do the same.

They keep lying to customers like this always just so that customers don't discontinue their service. They have been telling about new channel addition happening since 3 years now but their poor planning has left them with no bandwidth to add new chs, i am pretty sure that by 2015 end they will again be in space crunch unless they move to a foreign satellite

manzb, for the time being, "wait and watch" policy is the best. So my advice will be to extend by monthly subscriptions - even if, this means a little more expense. Perhaps you can choose a package that will best suit everybody and at the same time not dig a hole in the trouser pockets. Come end-Dec, and I will be in the same boat.

I would not trust the TS guy with any credit - they are bound to say that (increasing channels and all that). I was told the same thing, in April this year - ??, ?? ????? ?? ???? ???? ???? ???? ?????? ... ?? ???, Movies Now HD ?? Zee Studio HD ?? ??????? ... ??? ?? ??? ??... ???? ?? ?? ?????? ?????.

Tatasky will definitely increase package price too ... coolly stating the number of increased channels, very conveniently forgetting that they were charging a bomb even when there were less channels. The real reason is because they are honour bound to supply free MPEG-4 STBs - some 5 million of them. Now even if the cost (and I mean purchase cost) of each STB is Rs. 1500, just imaging the burden. Now that brings to yet another side of the coin - if they are truly going to increase channels, especially HD channels and jacking up the price soo after, it makes sense to go with the Annual Mega Pack offer and get price protection with automatic channel inclusion.

Be it as it may, the "wait and watch" approach is the best. Stick till a quarter and then decide. I will probably do the same.

KIX.. agreed. For the time being going with the Grand Sports Pack +HD with a damage of 530 p.m. for about 2 months. Let me see whether they actually are going to do anything. Also by then, if D2H gives a better offer, I can switch easily. With annual pack, I am stuck again for one more year and the cost is coming out around 535 p.m.. By not going with mega pack, only major channels I will miss out are TEN SPORTS (3 nos) channels, which I rarely watch anyway. Anyway, I have a cable connection in my other TV, which has all these sports channels (but no HD).

I wonder if "22-23 new HD channels" even have approval for broadcast in india let alone tata sky launching it.
Whatever the executives say is to simply retain the customer. Mostly all is false.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back