Tata Sky vs. Videocon D2H

They keep lying to customers like this always just so that customers don't discontinue their service. They have been telling about new channel addition happening since 3 years now but their poor planning has left them with no bandwidth to add new chs, i am pretty sure that by 2015 end they will again be in space crunch unless they move to a foreign satellite

You're absolutely correct!! Tata Sky has fooled around for such a long time to its customers and even after almost one year of GSAT-10 launch, they haven't been able to omit their space crunch.
Even if they are able to create some space due to MPEG-4 migration, they will certainly go low on cash due to this upgrade and hence regularly increasing their prices. No matter how good they claim to be good in their customer services, but space crunch will always be a major issue for Tata Sky despite acquiring Transponders on GSAT-10, until they move or hire new TPs on some other satellite.
Airtel and Videocon have never had any space crunch due to having space on more than one foreign satellite. Moreover they have options to acquire more TPs on other satellites in the same orbit, hence technically no space crunch for Airtel and Videocon if money is not an issue. I have been using Airtel since start and satisfied with its quality, but their customer services are pathetic. (Fortunately, I don't have to face any issue with Airtel.)
Now a days, I have been advising every friend to take Videocon D2H and remain happy due to their low cost channels, more channels than all DTH providers and no space crunch for any future addition!!

To be fair, there are 22-23 + more HD channels available in India. Although Wikipedia is known for bloopers sometimes, here is a list of HD channels in India. There will be more HD versions of the channels as flat panel TV sales increase.

Whether the HD channels get introduced on TS, is a big Q at the moment.

TataSky is a total failure in providing HD cahnnels. Many of their HD customers have already been migrated to D2h. Now they are promoting HD STBs ( with very limited HD channels - how many of them are popular?) while changing STBs for Mpg4 compatibility.
Watch their misleading advt. which says that you can over come "the picture stretch of HD TVs" by having HDSTBs. No body knows how is it possible for SD channels. With a meager number of HD channels the advt. is a shameful thing on their part. Time to complain against the advt. to a competent authority.

my frens,

I've just booked videocon d2h hd box with 1 yr subscription. I had 2 questions...

1. How do I make sure they bring me the bigger 90cm dish and do I have to pay extra for it ?

2. How do I make sure that the installation has been done properly ? Is there a way to check that the signal quality being received by the TV via the HD cable box is of maximum quality possible ?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, did u get the 90 cm dish? and if yes what was the procedure? thanks

Hi,

I am loyal customer of videocon D2h for the past 2 years. I am extremely happy with their services and the amount of channels that they give. Frankly, there is no other service provider with a better deal.

I have shifted home in the last month. So, thought of giving Tata sky a try since D2h subscription will end by this month. So, I have got D2h in the TV in Bedroom and have Tata sky as the in the main living room.

I did not notice any difference in the picture quality of HD channels between Tata sky and D2h. If at all, D2h gives more HD channels. In terms of Audio, I think Tata sky is a little bit better. I guess its because D2h does not give 5.1 through HDMI (I was connecting it through SPDIF to my avr). For Example, for Zee cinema channel's sound is much better in TS when compared to D2h.

For SD channels too, I think there is not much of a difference both in terms of Audio and Picture quality. If anything, TS is a little bit costly with lesser options. But they are giving HBO Defined HD and HBO Hits HD in TS now, So I have subscribed to those channels. The quality of these channels if fantastic. These are not there as yet in D2h.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

D2H provides DD through hdmi. You have to set the audio to auto in settings. You can also select DD audio by pressing info button and then the yellow button.

D2H provides DD through hdmi. You have to set the audio to auto in settings. You can also select DD audio by pressing info button and then the yellow button.

Hi,
I have set the audio settings to home cinema in D2h. So, For all the HD channels I guess it selects select DD audio by default. As I have said earlier, Mine is a 2 year old STB. I guess it would require firmware update to get DD through HDMI. When I connect it through SPDIF I am getting DD for all the channels that are giving real Dolby Digital HD audio output.

I can say that even in terms of audio quality, it is very hard to notice the difference between TS and D2h. I would pick D2h over TS on any given day. Just fiddling around with TS. I am not sure how will I stick to it.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back