The Customs Duty thread

I have recently imported items through Aramex shopnship service.
For 28$ item I was charged customs duty 1551rs which includes 300rs service charge
For 4$ item I was charged 635rs which includes 300rs service charge.
Local USA shipping charges and shopandship charges are extra.

FedEx contacted me for KYC documents. This included IEC if any.
I expect I will be paying the full applicable duty tax on this.

FedEx contacted me for KYC documents. This included IEC if any.
I expect I will be paying the full applicable duty tax on this.

Please do post totaly duty % for the benefit of all members. Please also post if any BIS certification is asked for/needed.

Kindly avoid FEDUP courier, they do do charge heafty on the customs since they make advance payment to customs + warehouse charges. Also I believe Fedup courier has been one of the partner with Custom department. I have paid almost 80% Duty with Fedex for few items I have brought.

DHL are way better than Fedex. Also Fedex carges are high for shipping too.

I wanted to test waters and I ordered a cable which was about 20$ from China and these took almost 3months to deliver. No customs charged, these were through China Post and were not big in size. However, I was mentally prepared for whatever customs levy were to be.

Today I paid ₹4448 for a 65 USD Fosi Bt20a amplifier. 83% customs charge.

The worst part is, the shipper declared the item value as $10 in the package. ₹4448 customs charge for $10 package.
600% Customs charge paid.

The worst part is, the shipper declared the item value as $10 in the package. ₹4448 customs charge for $10 package.
When I checked this with the Fosi support team this is what they said.

"We have already made a low declaration for you, The amount of the product on the courier bill is 10 US dollars, so it is impossible to charge an additional tax of more than 60 US dollars.
Please check with customs, thank you."

The worst part is, the shipper declared the item value as $10 in the package. ₹4448 customs charge for a $10 package.
They might have checked in Amazon, where this goes for around $80. So, they levied about 75% of that as a duty. It's pretty high but not unheard of.

I have placed an order for a Croft Line integrated (from Croft UK) and am anxiously waiting to learn how much customs duty I will have to pay. Does anyone with recent import experience of audio equipment know?
Any suggestions for a uncomplicated process through the customs also welcome.
It arrived finally. I paid 75% of actual cost as tax. It took nearly three weeks (two of these in Bangalore)
Overall it was a bit anxious and sometimes frustrating.

A rant at FedEx India:
FedEx delayed the delivery after it arrived in Bangalore for unknown reasons or just plain inefficiency.
Their helpline was usually busy for 5 minutes or more, and after several attempts when I got someone on the line, shared the tracking number etc, I was put on hold and soon disconnected. Next time it was a different person after another long wait (all our customer care executives are busy….) who assured me of quick action.
Then after three days, two different people from FedEx called asking if I was willing to pay the 75% tax (yes, I was willing)
Then no news/update for another three or four days.
Back to the help line (never got through)
I left message on the FedEx website (limited options to select from). No one responded.
Then yesterday morning a very polite and pleasant person calls and asks again if I would pay tax on delivery!
I had to send a email confirming I would pay the tax on delivery (Gpay was possible)
And then it arrived, I paid and unpacked the amp, connected all the bits, started playing music and lo behold, all is forgiven, birds are singing, the world is a better place!!!

They might have checked in Amazon, where this goes for around $80. So, they levied about 75% of that as a duty. It's pretty high but not unheard of.
This what happens exactly, Even Customs know ppl will do low declaration on the product so with a Google search- they find the actual or approx value (if its available in india) then they charge accordingly.

These days one small items getting highly charged by customs.

Also you can never get the money back from Customs once it get paid, and we dont have any option to fight againt them.

Only solution is bulk order and send someone to buy and return. If you calculate the travel expenses it might come low comapared to Shipping+ customs in india :)

It arrived finally. I paid 75% of actual cost as tax. It took nearly three weeks (two of these in Bangalore)
Overall it was a bit anxious and sometimes frustrating.

A rant at FedEx India:
FedEx delayed the delivery after it arrived in Bangalore for unknown reasons or just plain inefficiency.
Their helpline was usually busy for 5 minutes or more, and after several attempts when I got someone on the line, shared the tracking number etc, I was put on hold and soon disconnected. Next time it was a different person after another long wait (all our customer care executives are busy….) who assured me of quick action.
Then after three days, two different people from FedEx called asking if I was willing to pay the 75% tax (yes, I was willing)
Then no news/update for another three or four days.
Back to the help line (never got through)
I left message on the FedEx website (limited options to select from). No one responded.
Then yesterday morning a very polite and pleasant person calls and asks again if I would pay tax on delivery!
I had to send a email confirming I would pay the tax on delivery (Gpay was possible)
And then it arrived, I paid and unpacked the amp, connected all the bits, started playing music and lo behold, all is forgiven, birds are singing, the world is a better place!!!
Oh man 75% Tax, with void indian warrantly, thats so bad and feel sorry for you.
We have to find some alrernate and throw this Fedup courier, purposely they hold the item in warehouse to charge you extra and make advance payment to Customs and get extra charge from us, on top of all they are biggest frauds in charging, specifically international shipping.

Pls avoid Fedup and try other solutions, if available.

Oh man 75% Tax, with void indian warrantly, thats so bad and feel sorry for you.
We have to find some alrernate and throw this Fedup courier, purposely they hold the item in warehouse to charge you extra and make advance payment to Customs and get extra charge from us, on top of all they are biggest frauds in charging, specifically international shipping.

Pls avoid Fedup and try other solutions, if available.
As I understand 75% customs duty is the current official rule for goods deemed as “luxury items imported”.
(It’s similar to Rs.50/- per litre of petrol going as taxes; If we want it we pay up). The logic being those who can afford to import luxury items can pay high taxes which the Government wisely and capably uses for providing excellent services to its people.

I doubt customs charges will change with other carriers.

My rant was about inefficiency and atrocious customer care and poor communication by FedEx India. There is no way I could find to send feedback on my experience. I suppose increasing Covid rates these past few days could have had something to do with it.

How do they differentiate between luxury and common items , if both weigh and cost the same ?

How do they differentiate between luxury and common items , if both weigh and cost the same ?
It is unfortunate that customs levy is 75%, the amplifiers normally fall in the bucket of approx 40% (customs, GST et al).

In case of the having Import Export Code (IEC) the regular rates basis the HSN codes are levied.

However, in case of personal imports which are normally without IEC, the rates will be at whims of the customs officer, as there is no recourse to challenge the rates levied.

By applying IEC as a proprietor, you could have saved atleast 40% duty.
This was suggested by some FM, I tried and even got a user name and password registered, but it is not possible for individuals who are not in the import -export business it seems. Hopefully my tax contribution will be used well :)

Back