The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy Blu-ray

Duty, if any, will not be more than 20%. Shipping from Amazon, UK is of course free. Since, the set is Region Free, Amazon UK is a good choice for import.

Aramex charges $18 per kg (minimum charge).

Well, I tend to disagree with you on this, me and my friends have been using ARAMEX Shop and Ship for many months now.
Their charge is based on the weight of the package and they charge Re.1 for 1 gram, my package of BDs weighed 1.3 KG, so they have updated my payment as Rs.1300 :)

Btw, their minimum charge is 500 grams or should I say Rs.500 :)

I got the above rates from their rates calculator. If what you say is correct then that is better news. :)

Nonetheless the problem of multiple shipments remains.

why use aramex, when amazon.uk sends it free of cost?

any reason i am not aware?
You are right. But sometimes (and not in this case), Amazon (UK) has region coded (Region B) BDs. Most folks here want region free or at most Region A BDs. In that case, the choice becomes Amazon.com (USA).

I didn't understand this deducting VAT funda...can someone please explain it? Is it given in Amazon.uk?
European countries have implemented VAT. This tax is applicable on all goods/services sold within the nation. In EU nations, all sticker prices must include VAT. But if the goods and services are exported (outside EU) then VAT is not applicable. Hence Amazon, UK (and DE, NL, etc.) show prices inclusive of VAT. When goods are exported out, VAT is not charged and refunded.

In fact, visitors to EU countries can shop in those countries and claim VAT refund on the airport. You have to produce receipts and show the goods being taken out.

Same is applicable in some other nations that have implemented GST (Goods and Services Tax) - an equivalent of VAT. Some examples are Singapore, Australia, NZ, Canada, etc. GST is refunded to visitors shopping in these countries.

On the contrary, USA implements State Sales Tax. State Sales Tax is charged at the time of sale. Sticker prices do not include sales tax. Sales tax is not refundable. But US states charge sales tax for in-state sales only (shop in same state, delivery in same state). For example, in case of Amazon, the e-Commerce shop address is in the state of New York (NY). If someone from NY states shops at Amazon, USA and gets the delivery at her/his NY state address, the invoice will include sales tax (currently 9.5%, I think). But if someone from Dallas, TX shops and gets delivery at Dallas, s/he will pay the sticker price only (no sales tax).

Some states such as Oregon and New Hampshire have no state sales tax.

How does this affect us? As follows:

- if we shop at Amazon, UK, and get delivery in India, we will pay stiker price less 20% VAT
- if we shop at Amazon, USA, and get delivery in India, we will pay sticket price
- if we shop at Amazon, USA and get delivery via Aramex Shop & Ship, we will pay sticker price + sales tax (because S&S pseudo address is in NY state)

Shipping charges, if any, are extra of course.

Hi just4kix,

I placed my first order in Amazon.uk, One question to all the guys here who have purchased from Amazon.uk... The website asked my Credit Card no , Name Displayed and Expiry Date; But no cvv no.. Is that ok?

Sukhas

Last edited:
Hi just4kix,

I placed my first order in Amazon.uk, One question to all the guys here who have purchased from Amazon.uk... The website asked my Credit Card no , Displayed No and Expiry Date; But no cvv no.. Is that ok?

Sukhas
Congratulations on your first purchase.

Yes. Amazon does not ask CVV. You are perfectly fine. Amazon is a very safe site. The site will only show last four digits of the CC. Now even if you are compromised, your user-id/pwd is known, if someone tries to shop, s/he will be able to select your existing delivery address only. If the hacker/fraudster tries to create a new delivery address, s/he will be asked to enter the Credit Card number again.

But I am putting a suggestion on Amazon to implement CVV. Perhaps they have not implemented it because not all countries have the CVV - USA, for instance.

Hi just4kix,

I placed my first order in Amazon.uk, One question to all the guys here who have purchased from Amazon.uk... The website asked my Credit Card no , Name Displayed and Expiry Date; But no cvv no.. Is that ok?

Sukhas

Yes That is OK. For some reason Amazon don't ask CVV Number.

One more thing i got a sms from my Bank(HDFC)..."Thank you for using your HDFC bank credit card ending xxxx for Rs. 71.58 in amaZon.co.uk at amazon EU......

Any idea what is this Rs 71.58? pound exchange rate?

One more thing i got a sms from my Bank(HDFC)..."Thank you for using your HDFC bank credit card ending xxxx for Rs. 71.58 in amaZon.co.uk at amazon EU......

Today's GBP-->INR rate is 71.04 but it fluctuates. HDFC may be charging 71.58. Could be yesterday's rate.

But the SMS should state the total value of the purchase. Exchange rate not usually mentioned.

Hi Guys,

I got a mail from Amazon saying....

"You have not yet been charged for this item. We do not debit money from your payment card until just before your items are dispatched. We will send you a dispatch confirmation email on the date of dispatch."

But money is already debited from my credit card... What does the above statement mean? any idea guys?

Regards,
SUkhas

Hi Guys,

I got a mail from Amazon saying....

"You have not yet been charged for this item. We do not debit money from your payment card until just before your items are dispatched. We will send you a dispatch confirmation email on the date of dispatch."

But money is already debited from my credit card... What does the above statement mean? any idea guys?

Regards,
Sukhas

Money is blocked on your credit card but will not be charged till Amazon clears for payment. This often happens.

For instance, I go to US on company business trips. When I book a car at the rental, the rental agency asks for the rental period. Then they calculate the approximate amount and charge it to my credit card. This money is blocked from the credit limit. When I return the car, the actual amount is calculated, and the difference, if any, is added/refunded to the credit card. At this time, the money is actually charged to the card.

Since this is your first time, it is natural for you to be sceptical and worried. But the txn will proceed smoothly.

This is currency conversion charge. I also use HDFC CC and they always deduct some money when i buy something in foreign currency. It sucks!

Now i always use Standard Chartered Manhattan CC. They never deduct a single extra paisa.

I am also very tempted with the 37GBP. But i never did shopping with Amazon. I buy Music CDs from Spun.com and get my CDs in 20-30 days..

Is there any difference in LOTR EE UK and US versions? If there is no difference, then I would definitely buy it from Amazon UK which I checked is with free shipping and almost at half the price of India.

In the earlier posts I checked that there is color difference of BD boxes. I don't care about that.!! But is there any other difference?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back