The Movies I Liked

I slept in that movie ....not saying it was bad, but it was kinda toooo slow and boring ......

:) yes, I did think of writing that it's an arty type film. Not for action/drama fans :D

lol yea ... I do enjoy Art movies as well (not my prefered Genre though) ........ ..... but somehow this could not hold that interest ..... or maybe I was in a different mood altogether who knows .....:D ....

Upgrade (2018)

This is one of the random 'out of the blue' picks that surprised me. It is kind of predictable, but still enjoyable. My suggestion is not to watch the trailer and not to build expectations.

At first, I thought that the lead actor was Tom Hardy, but a few moments later, I realized it wasn't (Logan Marshall-Green). I thought that detective Cortez was played by Sonequa Martin-Green (from TWD) but realized a little later that it wasn't her (Betty Gabriel). In the same way, this movie felt like a regular B movie revenge flick with some sci-fi thrown in. While the plot wasn't exceptional, the way it was handled felt fresh. In the end, it felt like I had watched a lost episode of 'Black Mirror' mixed with a good dose of action and gore.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5104604/?ref_=login

This is another quirky animation movie from Wes Anderson. In style similar to the Fantastic Mr. Fox, this uses stop motion type animation. The visuals look lovely and the story is very relatable. To add to the quirkiness, the human characters speak in Japanese but the dogs in English.

If you like Wes Anderson, you will love it, else cant say. My son and I loved it but my wife got bored in 15 mins.

Will rate it an 8/10

Just watched Andrey Zvyagintsev's Leviathan. Somehow I am always fascinated by Russian movies ( Tarkovsky being a particular favorite)or movies with Russian themes ( Eastern Promises).
Leviathan is a complex movie. On the surface it deals with an ordinary man trying to fight off foes and so called friends because he has what they covet ( beautiful wife , waterfront property). On a more subliminal level it's the story of all ordinary men buffeted and victimised by forces they have no control over. Leviathan could be the State as in Hobbes eponymous treatise or a Biblical creature w very rich in symbolism.
On the whole a beautiful satisfying movie with great acting, locale, pathos, humor...indeed never a dull moment in it.

Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle--- One word Way Way beyond expectations ..... I wanted to kill some time and did not want to go in to some serious or focus movie, so popped up this ..... and boy this was an all-out fun, funny movie. Jokes are so witty, dialogues are spot on and best of all performances, Dwyane Johnson (Rock) gives one of his best performances if not the best. As you might know, kids get stuck in this VG Jumangi and they get bodies and personalities exactly to opposite to what they are in real world, this aspect is portrayed brilliantly and brings put the performance of everyone especially ROCK. He nails it as a scared nerd with no confidence. The dialogues are funny and I had at least two moments which pure ROTFL. Never expected this movie to be that good. 6.8/10 for this one. If anyone wants to have a fun laughing family movie event this movie is a must watch.

UPGRADE .....ON HELL OF a movie ...after a long time, I was completely blown by a movie ...... not coz of its story .. like AI takes over the control. that has been done many times, but the execution was class apart .... I anyhow love Action, but if its Dark, Gritty, Violent then I love it.... add to it sci-fy and Thrill and blend it to near perfection and you will get UPGRADE. This movie has all, and to just the exact amount, not more not less, just about right dose, and that made it a joy ride. Then the ending, I just loved the way it ended ..... performances are top notch ...... there is nothing I can complain about this movie as such ...even though yes the plot was predictable to the extent that AI will take over, it still brought a twist I was not expecting ....... its a rare 7.8/10 for this one .....

Searching (2018)

Anybody looking for something different and interesting should check this out.

The plot is simple - a father searches for his missing daughter. What is different is that the entire movie is presented on screens. It is done very naturally - Chats, calls, Facebook logins, google searches, password resets, even something like typing an angry message, deleting it and then sending something polite - very similar to how we normally use the internet. I was hooked in the first few minutes and the movie never stopped being interesting due to the twists and turns that followed. It isn't perfect, but it is really good.

John Cho is good as usual and Debra Messing hasn't done anything this different (from what I've seen). Aneesh Chaganty has an amazing debut. Hope he keeps it up!

If you want some mysterious father-daughter conflict melodrama quite away from the ever deteriorating Taken series of movies, here is something for you. IMDB ratings are in the range 6.6 to 7.6, but these films are engaging and on extremely polarized tones from each other. Try watching the triple bill in a go : Leave no Trace (2018), A Quite Place (2018) and Edge of Darkness (2010) in the increasingly pacy order, but you choose your own. The first one might require you to be a bit patient.

Have not watched Edge of Darkness, but have watched the other two. "A Quiet Place" is quite good, but "Leave No Trace" is one of the nicest movies I have seen this year. Debra Granik's earlier film, "Winter Bone" was good too.

With a few posts going on about Upgrade, felt like watching and found it to be entertaining. Recently had a dose of Aliens Convant and boy ... these guys seem to be so creative in plot making. You are right they all look extension of Black Mirror episodes, but hey who is complaining as long as they are creative and entertaining. Now it is time to revisit my past favourites The Island (2005) and Wesley Snipes' The Demolition Man (1993) ...

I LOVED Demolition Man .. Action packed and so funny at times..... and I have my nostalgia attached to it ..since I saw it in the late 90ss......The island is good as well,,,typical M.Bay....

Have not watched Edge of Darkness, but have watched the other two. "A Quiet Place" is quite good, but "Leave No Trace" is one of the nicest movies I have seen this year. Debra Granik's earlier film, "Winter Bone" was good too.

Edge of darkness is really good...... its not as simple plotted as people make ti to be ...its complex, if you go deeper in the concept and ending ..... I lOVED IT

With a few posts going on about Upgrade, felt like watching and found it to be entertaining. Recently had a dose of Aliens Convant and boy ... these guys seem to be so creative in plot making. You are right they all look extension of Black Mirror episodes, but hey who is complaining as long as they are creative and entertaining. Now it is time to revisit my past favourites The Island (2005) and Wesley Snipes' The Demolition Man (1993) ...
Sorry for the typo ... a big one ...
it should be Alien Covenant (2017)

Today the kid in the house and the kid in me went to watch Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018).

Enjoyed J.K.Rowling the humourist all along. The whistle drowned the theatre on the appearance of a certain Dumbledore even at Puducherry.
Never tired of watching Jude Law. Can't say the same thing about Johny Depp (a bit one dimensional IMHO). Dan Fogler's innocent expressions add to the funny moments.

Of course to catch up with the kids all around and to sound wizardly knowledgeable, we screened FB:Where to Find Them last night at home.

My little gripe about these movies is : why do they have to show the movies in such a low brightness? The darkness in scenes that needn't be dark does irritate me. Thank God, it wasn't a 3D movie. The little brightness would have dissipated further.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back