The Movies I Liked

The Bourne xxxxx series. Loved them immensely. And their first 3 novels too. Anyone attempt to read the lustbader series ?

Looks like OTT platform algos have ascertained that i enjoy watching Russian movies.
The Blackout popped up and had a viewing. Production values look as good as Hollywood.

Pathaan - What kind of shi*t movie is this? I don't know how it raked up several million dollars world wide. What is Salman bhai doing in this movie and as usual he has this constipated expression. The VFX/SFX was terrible.
I skipped

Pathaan - What kind of shi*t movie is this? I don't know how it raked up several million dollars world wide. What is Salman bhai doing in this movie and as usual he has this constipated expression. The VFX/SFX was terrible.
Downloaded and skimmed thro it to check out what the hype was all about - utter waste of time!

What SRK does in the movie is peanuts as compared to what he did in real life - non conviction and clearance from all charges 😆🤣

The original “Magnificent Seven”.
How the West was won
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

These movies can only be thoroughly enjoyed in their original 70mm format with that stereo sound !

Those lucky to have seen them are well “lucky”.
Yes old westerns were untouchable.

And “The Untouchables” !

Dunno if it has been dropped here (its been around since oct last, but i just caught it) but The Stranger is a must for audiophiles.
The sound design is scary deadly.
And the movie itself? Well, it claims to be crime/drama, but i'd say its truly horror.
Stunningly made, stunning acting, stunning sound design.

I haven't been posting here for the longest time, because I barely manage the time to watch movies any more. Thanks to my sticking to a 9.30PM bedtime, I was getting just about an hour free in the evenings. And I hate watching movies piecemeal, so as hard as it was for me, I just stopped watching movies. I've started taking a half-day break once a week, on a random weekday, so I managed to catch up a bit with my lists.

Here are the Movies I enjoyed very much over the last month:

State and Main (2000)
I didn't know this movie even existed until I saw it mentioned by someone I knew, on the Internet. This is among my favorite movies now. Very good cast (and production team), and a heartwarming story wrapped in very nice humor and movie-making in-jokes. And a special (Audiophool) mention that it stars Rebecca Pidgeon (I think she features in all of David Mamet's movies, being his wife). [Side note: This movie would do really well in the current Malayalam Indie Movie style: Predatory movie crew descends on a sleepy backroads village filled with very colorful village characters. The possibilities of what they could really do with this idea!]

Upgrade (2018)
This is not a very unique story. We've seen it play out many times, and in many ways, including part of the movie's concept in a superhero movie featuring Logan-Marshall Greene's virtual twin. But the execution is very, very enjoyable.

Black Rain (1989)
Slick Cop Thriller by Ridley Scott, with cinematography that calls back to Blade Runner.

The Outfit (2022)
Excellent Crime Drama that plays out in a room/building. Very Hitchcock-esque.

One False Move (1992)
Another crime drama, with very well written characters. The hillbilly Sheriff played by Bill Paxton and the uh, intellectually lacking villain played by Billy Bob Thornton (he also co-wrote the screenplay), and the rest of the main cast are quite memorable. A lot of the dialogue in this movie would trigger the politically correct crowd (but without it, the characters would be empty shells).

Clean (2021)
This might be a controversial pick. This movie may not be quite to everyone's taste, but I quite liked it. It takes a while to get to its point, but that time is spent with Adrien Brody slowly showing us what his character is. Again, the story is nothing new. It's the way it plays out, and the way in which Adrien Brody plays the main character that makes the movie what it is (at least for me).

Lamb (2021)
This had been waiting for the longest time in my to-watch list, and when it randomly showed up in my Mubi, I decided to watch it right then, without just adding it to the Mubi watchlist. This is one of those movies that can't quite be described, but need to be experienced. And that experience will likely stay with you for a while. It is also best watched without knowing anything about it.

Darkland (aka Underverden, 2017)
I was very impressed with what Dar Salim did in The Covenant (2023). I looked him up, and found this movie. This is a revenge thriller that follows the typical beats of the genre, but Dar Salim makes it his own with this character. I like dark movies very much and this ticks that box in spades.

Other movies that I watched and liked:
The Covenant (2023) [Dar Salim and Jake Gyllenhall shine in a very un-Guy-Ritchie-like Guy Ritchie Movie].
Sisu (2023) [The action was a bit too over the top for my taste after the first half, but the movie was very enjoyable nonetheless]
Air (2023) [Matt Damon does a Caroll Shelby again, but in a sports movie. Excellent movie.]
AKA (2023) [Surprisingly good for what I thought would be a generic Netflix movie].

Last edited:
Dunno if it has been dropped here (its been around since oct last, but i just caught it) but The Stranger is a must for audiophiles.
The sound design is scary deadly.
And the movie itself? Well, it claims to be crime/drama, but i'd say its truly horror.
Stunningly made, stunning acting, stunning sound design.
I didn't notice the sound design, probably because my movie sound setup is nothing special, and also probably because I was on the edge of my seat all the time. It is a truly chill-inducing movie, all right! I would watch it again, but this is one of those movies that you really want to re-watch, but need some mental preparation to do so, heh heh. (My other example for this feeling is Requiem for a Dream).

I haven't been posting here for the longest time, because I barely manage the time to watch movies any more. Thanks to my sticking to a 9.30PM bedtime, I was getting just about an hour free in the evenings. And I hate watching movies piecemeal, so as hard as it was for me, I just stopped watching movies. I've started taking a half-day break once a week, on a random weekday, so I managed to catch up a bit with my lists.

Here are the Movies I enjoyed very much over the last month:

State and Main (2000)
I didn't know this movie even existed until I saw it mentioned by someone I knew, on the Internet. This is among my favorite movies now. Very good cast (and production team), and a heartwarming story wrapped in very nice humor and movie-making in-jokes. And a special (Audiophool) mention that it stars Rebecca Pidgeon (I think she features in all of David Mamet's movies, being his wife). [Side note: This movie would do really well in the current Malayalam Indie Movie style: Predatory movie crew descends on a sleepy backroads village filled with very colorful village characters. The possibilities of what they could really do with this idea!]

Upgrade (2018)
This is not a very unique story. We've seen it play out many times, and in many ways, including part of the movie's concept in a superhero movie featuring Logan-Marshall Greene's virtual twin. But the execution is very, very enjoyable.

Black Rain (1989)
Slick Cop Thriller by Ridley Scott, with cinematography that calls back to Blade Runner.

The Outfit (2022)
Excellent Crime Drama that plays out in a room/building. Very Hitchcock-esque.

One False Move (1992)
Another crime drama, with very well written characters. The hillbilly Sheriff played by Bill Paxton and the uh, intellectually lacking villain played by Billy Bob Thornton (he also co-wrote the screenplay), and the rest of the main cast are quite memorable. A lot of the dialogue in this movie would trigger the politically correct crowd (but without it, the characters would be empty shells).

Clean (2021)
This might be a controversial pick. This movie may not be quite to everyone's taste, but I quite liked it. It takes a while to get to its point, but that time is spent with Adrien Brody slowly showing us what his character is. Again, the story is nothing new. It's the way it plays out, and the way in which Adrien Brody plays the main character that makes the movie what it is (at least for me).

Lamb (2021)
This had been waiting for the longest time in my to-watch list, and when it randomly showed up in my Mubi, I decided to watch it right then, without just adding it to the Mubi watchlist. This is one of those movies that can't quite be described, but need to be experienced. And that experience will likely stay with you for a while. It is also best watched without knowing anything about it.

Darkland (aka Underverden, 2017)
I was very impressed with what Dar Salim did in The Covenant (2023). I looked him up, and found this movie. This is a revenge thriller that follows the typical beats of the genre, but Dar Salim makes it his own with this character. I like dark movies very much and this ticks that box in spades.

Other movies that I watched and liked:
The Covenant (2023) [Dar Salim and Jake Gyllenhall shine in a very un-Guy-Ritchie-like Guy Ritchie Movie].
Sisu (2023) [The action was a bit too over the top for my taste after the first half, but the movie was very enjoyable nonetheless]
Air (2023) [Matt Damon does a Caroll Shelby again, but in a sports movie. Excellent movie.]
AKA (2023) [Surprisingly good for what I thought would be a generic Netflix movie].
All done...Except...State and Main & One False Move

Pichaikaran 2 - a somewhat boring film putting a few pieces of masala themes together like *mini spoiler* sister sentiment, medical brain surgery breakthroughs, evil politician torture character arks of police officer and female lead role etc... If nothing better to watch you may waste time with this.

Spiderman across the spiderverse - was I immersed or transported into a say Andy Warhol canvas disarray. Whoosh! Thanks for the ride, Sony!!

Pichaikaran 2 - a somewhat boring film putting a few pieces of masala themes together like *mini spoiler* sister sentiment, medical brain surgery breakthroughs, evil politician torture character arks of police officer and female lead role etc... If nothing better to watch you may waste time with this.

Spiderman across the spiderverse - was I immersed or transported into a say Andy Warhol canvas disarray. Whoosh! Thanks for the ride, Sony!!
Simply Skipped...Sequels wont work in India

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back