The Movies I Liked

The recent, very underrated “The Little Things” with Denzel Washington, Rami Malek, and Jared Leto. Solid performances by all three, but Leto’s performance is most convincing.
People expected a knock out crime thriller, but this movie broods on biases, skewed perspectives, and most importantly closure, or how the lack of it can entirely change the tone of a person’s life. Like I said, very underrated.

News is only the first draft of history is a quote that The Post , a movie I watched over the weekend , attributes to Phil Graham, the publisher and co-owner of The Washington Post , whereas Wiki would have us believe that someone else had used it earlier. Be that as it may The Post ( directed by Steven Spielberg) is a brilliant and thoroughly enjoyable movie on the theme of media. I am a sucker for this type of film. New Delhi Times , perhaps an early Indian movie of this genre , was made by Mr Romesh Sharma , a gentleman from my hometown who even as an unknown tyro at the time had such a stellar script that the great Shashi Kapoor was persuaded to work gratis for it.

When The Post opens , America is stuck in the quagmire of the Vietnam War and Katherine Graham ( Meryl Streep) , after the suicide death of her husband Phil Graham, is thrust into the role of the sole owner and publisher of The Washington Post. There are also talks underway for the paper — a provincial rag at the time — to get enlisted in the stock exchange. Ben Bradlee ( Tom Hanks) is it’s editor.

The movie takes us to behind the scenes action that culminates in The Post publishing the Pentagon Papers, a cachet of leaked reports on the political subterfuge behind the US involvement in the Vietnam War. This reportage first by The New York Times and then The Washington Post and a whole host of other American newspapers thereafter was instrumental in turning the tide of American public opinion against the war. The political resistance that it overcame and a seminal Supreme Court Judgement on the right of newspapers to publish truth uncomfortable to politicians — a Judge opined that the media is for the governed and not the governors — were instrumental in bolstering the freedom of the press in the country.

The movie deftly and seamlessly takes us into the tense newspaper office deliberations , the corporate boardroom parleys, the Supreme Court , the Nixon Whitehouse — shown in eerie silhouette with sinister voiceovers — and the personal life of Katherine Mayer , who while struggling with the legacy of the great men in her life — her illustrious father and husband — finally makes a decision that shows her coming of age as a humane , warm , brave , intelligent, sensitive newspaper owner not shying, on the pain of her own personal ruin , to take on the political and financial muscle of the establishment to publish the truth. The movie is indeed as much about this remarkable woman as it is about the newspaper that she recreated

The last scene in which we are shown an ongoing police despatch of a burglary in progress at the Democratic National Convention at Watergate , informs us that The Post in now on the cusp of something even greater and breathtaking in the journalistic firmament.

There are no subscription plans. I have been registered for theatre ticket booking for several years now.
I don't know if that helps
Maybe, just maybe, it depends upon your location.

1624347958767.png

I watched this movie 'State Of Siege: Temple Attack' today on Zee5. It is a fictional drama inspired by the real-life terrorists attack on Akshardham Temple in Gandhinagar. The film attempts to provide a detailed overview of what happened during the operation and how NSG succeeded in saving several lives. It's worth the watch and probably the Best OTT Relases of this Year.

Jolt 2021 - The age-less Kate Beckinsale! This was funnier than I expected it to be but that was all due to Beckinsale's spunky performance. The plot is cliched, but nice fun overall if you dig outlandish.

Enemy At The Gates 2001 - A compelling WW II war drama that has enough action, drama, tragedy and thrills. Filled with solid performances by talented cast. At times we wonder whether we are watching a war film or a drama!

Way Down on Netflix. Alternative title of The Vault in some markets.
Movie: 7.5/10
Sound: 11/10 :D
A movie the HT community will fully enjoy in these times.

Watched knives out yesterday. I still think marta did it. She outplayed mr captain america. Or Maybe i am overthinking

Stillwater - lovely performances by all the actors. A beautiful combination of crime and drama.

The Green Knight- just loved the landscape. This movie is apparently based on a poem.

Just watched Dune in theater.
Dennis Villeneuve has tried to stay true to the book and somewhat succeeded.
The world of Dune is captured brilliantly via visual and sound.
I wish there was a bit more character development.
The movie ends somewhere in the middle of book 1 and leaves you hanging.
If there is a sequel, hopefully, it will complete the story telling.
Cinematography, music, costumes and production are excellent.
The worm plays hide and seek :D

Definitely worth a watch on big screen!!

Cheers,
Raghu

Are they maintaining proper social distancing in the theater? No time to die & Dune are on my watch list/
Went to Vega City mall. There were probably 40-50 people in the theater.
Saw the No Time To Die in local theater too. Again 40-50 people.
It was sit wherever you want kind of scenario.

Cheers,
Raghu

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back