Three DACs free build from me

hi tally3tally,

waiting for the final go-ahead!:)

regards.

edit - many people are waiting, cmsajith called yesterday.

Suri,
I might be out of station for a few days. In case there s any progress in the matter and we are ready to order, pl let me know, just send an sms to my cell phone. i will give call you back. I am in!

going to check local avail of items will let you guys know the final plan by eve today

we will wait for the update ... check switches there too,also the USB connector ..i have seen good amount of rocker switches here surely will manage not to worry.

went saw could not conquer :rolleyes:
I gave the list to the biggest shop in pune which stocks electronics parts will get info tomorrow about the parts available their pricing and their make
will update then

btw can someone guide me on the right type of soldering station to be purchased and an economical one for such projects

went saw could not conquer :rolleyes:
I gave the list to the biggest shop in pune which stocks electronics parts will get info tomorrow about the parts available their pricing and their make
will update then

btw can someone guide me on the right type of soldering station to be purchased and an economical one for such projects

Do not lose heart, O brave warrior, tall3tally! Tomorrow we shall have the soldiers to build our Dac with!:D

Is the vendor checking stock? Is he familiar with what you have listed?

nice initiative kaushik !

i had built a couple of ?1 lites (usb only) recently, currently lying disassembled to upgrade them to ?2.

i think you guys should be able to manage the parts between the amb shop, farnell india and the local market.

for mouser only items like the ?2 dac, ask amb if he can order on your behalf and ship together with your order, he may be able to accomodate your request.

some parts like the resistors and capacitors can be sourced locally, a little compromise may have to be made though eg carbon film 5% resistors instead of the recommended 1% metal film for the 1/8W type.

however i would suggest to stick to the recommended switches and enclosures, albeit a little expensive it fits together very well, looks good & is quite robust.

@ tally3tally, a 25w soldron iron ( yellow handle ) with a small tip will be adequate for the discrete components, for the rest you will require a smd iron.

nice initiative kaushik !

i had built a couple of ?1 lites (usb only) recently, currently lying disassembled to upgrade them to ?2.

i think you guys should be able to manage the parts between the amb shop, farnell india and the local market.

for mouser only items like the ?2 dac, ask amb if he can order on your behalf and ship together with your order, he may be able to accomodate your request.

some parts like the resistors and capacitors can be sourced locally, a little compromise may have to be made though eg carbon film 5% resistors instead of the recommended 1% metal film for the 1/8W type.

however i would suggest to stick to the recommended switches and enclosures, albeit a little expensive it fits together very well, looks good & is quite robust.

@ tally3tally, a 25w soldron iron ( yellow handle ) with a small tip will be adequate for the discrete components, for the rest you will require a smd iron.

thanks ..it is a combined effort i am just a trigger you can say ...

but i strongly disagree use of carbon film resistor(5% is way too bad as the audio output depends on the thermal stability of the resistors ) and locally available cheap parts.

if any one wants to go cheap ,ebay china seller sells 10$ (1% tolerance,all values)packs for resistors and capacitor kits.. one pack each will be enough for 3 or 5 dacs...
but i have serious doubt on the result.

mouser parts exactly match designer recommended ones..
if tally3tally gets vishay dale resistors of same parameters
we can use .but capacitors should not be replaced except they are wima or such audio grade ones.

switches as per the owners choice.. after all cabinets will be designed here so no fitting issues will come

let the wolfson DAC chip give the best for that design..
@tally3tally
check SAINI ELECTRONICS too.. they have branches in all metros...
but i doubt much you will get ..wima are possible i have seen some in bangalore.
soldering you need a fine point one ,static safe.static safe tweezers..
cheaper ones are gold point(Rs400)/soldron smd(Rs650).. you need pretty good practice too ;)
magnifier with light needed.
remember i if precautions not taken static damage will NOT fully damage the chip but will make it
last less .. or degrade sound output

Last edited:
thanks ..it is a combined effort i am just a trigger you can say ...

but i strongly disagree use of carbon film resistor(5% is way too bad as the audio output depends on the thermal stability of the resistors ) and locally available cheap parts.

if any one wants to go cheap ,ebay china seller sells 10$ (1% tolerance,all values)packs for resistors and capacitor kits.. one pack each will be enough for 3 or 5 dacs...
but i have serious doubt on the result.

we can use .but capacitors should not be replaced except they are wima or such audio grade ones.

switches as per the owners choice.. after all cabinets will be designed here so no fitting issues will come

let the wolfson DAC chip give the best for that design..
@tally3tally
check SAINI ELECTRONICS too.. they have branches in all metros...
but i doubt much you will get ..wima are possible i have seen some in bangalore.
soldering you need a fine point one ,static safe.static safe tweezers..
cheaper ones are gold point(Rs400)/soldron smd(Rs650).. you need pretty good practice too ;)
magnifier with light needed.
remember i if precautions not taken static damage will NOT fully damage the chip but will make it
last less .. or degrade sound output
I guess I will stand by you and watch! :eek:

1 % metal film resistors of 1/8W type may also be available locally but you may have to buy them in a pack. same goes for some of the small ceramic capacitors like 0.1uF X7R.

for the audio grade capacitors it is best to stick to what is recommended.

lets get local replacement only if they are same quality as the recommended ones. I like the idea of requesting amb to ship all parts together. FWIR @ head-fi, amb has recently started to keep some stock of Y2 parts to help people like us.

On other note, I requested Texas instruments to send the samples of PCM2707PJT(costs $7.3 @ amb shop) & they shipped it today :clapping:

lets get local replacement only if they are same quality as the recommended ones. I like the idea of requesting amb to ship all parts together. FWIR @ head-fi, amb has recently started to keep some stock of Y2 parts to help people like us.

On other note, I requested Texas instruments to send the samples of PCM2707PJT(costs $7.3 @ amb shop) & they shipped it today :clapping:
cheeky bugger
ill do the same
thanks for the tip

Last edited:
^^ Don't worry;), I have ordered 5 samples so they would be enough for 5 builds.
Should be here in couple of days. They shipped it through fedex express

^^ Don't worry;), I have ordered 5 samples so they would be enough for 5 builds.
Should be here in couple of days. They shipped it through fedex express

if you plan to give away some of these,count me in advance..
;). Free 1 sample will be like souvenir hehehe...

try TDK .. they used send huge free sample to my previous company..

^^ I am sending all of them to you so you can use them on the Y2 builds.
fine, later also i can have a free sample,letz make this batch a success..

i hope tally3tally gets atleast some capacitor,
if we can eliminate mouser.com order then we will save a lot.

but if you see
mouser prices they are very good like 20Rs for multilayer capacitors etc.. even in india such highQ capacitors will cost same in retail.only mouser shipping is making things costly.

In kerala tvm , there are nichicon and elna available,one amp builder friend of mine gets these..

anyone form kerala here ?

fine, later also i can have a free sample,letz make this batch a success..

i hope tally3tally gets atleast some capacitor,
if we can eliminate mouser.com order then we will save a lot.

but if you see
mouser prices they are very good like 20Rs for multilayer capacitors etc.. even in india such highQ capacitors will cost same in retail.only mouser shipping is making things costly.

In kerala tvm , there are nichicon and elna available,one amp builder friend of mine gets these..

anyone form kerala here ?

iaudio is from cochin, kerala, and so is cmsajith

i am at kannur, kerala - give me exact details and i can source what you need

regards

i have to ask the amp builder ,i met him recently online..
he told in Tvm ,kerala he gets nichicon and elna..
also many PCB makers...

cochin and tvm..electronics hub...in kerala...I have seen high value Nichicon,rubycon,samsung,sanwa,ELNA,pioneer(22-33,000 MFD) both soldering and bolting type..I have used keltron,samsung and sanwa..recently I didn't get 30,000 MFD caps...so bought four 15,000 MFD sanwa's(60,000)..checked it and I am satisfied..

sarith , there you are .... we need some capacitors like elna,wima multilayers ,1% metal film resistors by vishay dale 1/8w...if you get toroidal transformers (50VA 9- 0- 9 v)...too...help us with the xls you of y1 and y2 DAC

Ok here is my report on my forray to the local electronics supplier
the resistors are avail well some of them and the specific values are not avail and he wont go through the trouble of ordering such a low number especially for me
the condensers are avail in bulk order of 1000 min qty ICs are naturally not available

so the best thing to do IMHO is to order directly from mouser

here is the link to the bom at mouser http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=c2395d64ef

the backordered items SHOULD be ordered from Farnell as it would save the time and money spent on the Mouser backordering($40)
fnz71x.jpg

a pic of the farnell order is also given here for everybody's reference
Please check the order before ordering so as not to miss anything

cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back