Tidal in india?

I am trying to understand through this episode the decision making psychology of potential subscribers when it comes to trying out a service.

Tidal always had a 30 days free trial. But the limited period ‘$4 for 4 months’ (reduced rate) trial offer is gaining a large traction among the FMs.

Now I analyse this as follows:

A) Assumption: 30 days is usually sufficient to evaluate the service and decide on taking regular subscription. It’s not as if one needs 4 months to make this decision.

B) It cannot be proven that $4 for 4 months is cheaper than $0 for 30 days. Mathematically, the former is costlier than the latter.

So, theoretically A and B put together should have had more potential subscribers availing the 30 days free trial than the $4 for four months trial. But reality is the opposite.

The possible reason to explain this divergence of reality from theory as I see it lies in the ‘limited period’ validity of this offer.

The 30 days free trial was always eternally available, it wasn’t for a limited period. So, even if potential subscribers were considering it, most did not act upon it. There was no ‘sense of urgency’. And as we know, change seldom happens without a sense of urgency.

But with the $4 for four months offer being only for a limited period (at least that’s the perception on the forum), it has created a sense of urgency in those who were considering trying it out. And they are taking up on it.

Therefore, it makes marketers sense to introduce limited period offers from time to time. The whole ‘seasonal sale’ is based on the same principle. But here we are talking of subscription to a service and not outright product purchase. Yet, the psychology works similarly.

Note: The intention is not to value judge. It’s only to analyse and understand a phenomenon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to understand the decision making psychology of potential subscribers when it comes to trying out a service through this episode.

Tidal always had a 30 days free trial. But the limited period reduced rate of $4 for 4 months trial offer is gaining such a good traction among the FMs.

A) Assumption: 30 days is sufficient to evaluate the service decide on taking regular subscription. It’s not as if one needs 4 months to decide.

B) It cannot be proven that $4 for 4 months is cheaper than $0 for 30 days. Mathematically, the former is costlier than the latter.

So, theoretically A and B out together should have had more potential subscribers availing the 30 days free trial than the $4 for four months trial. But reality is the opposite.

The possible reason to explain this divergence or reality from theory as I see lies in the ‘limited period’ validity of this offer.

The 30 days free trial was always eternally available, it wasn’t for a limited period. So, even if potential subscribers were considering it, most didn’t act upon it. There was no ‘sense of urgency’. And as we know, change seldom happens without a sense of urgency.

But with the $4 for four months offer is only for a limited period (at least that’s the perception on the forum). It has created a sense of urgency in those who were considering trying it out. And they are taking up on it.

Therefore, it makes marketers to introduce the limited period offers. The whole ‘seasonal sale’ is based on the same principle. But here we are talking of subscription to a service and not outright product purchase. Yet, the psychology works similarly.

Note/ Thw intention is not to value judge. It’s only to analyse and understand a phenomenon.
Agree.

A) Assumption: 30 days is usually sufficient to evaluate the service and decide on taking regular subscription. It’s not as if one needs 4 months to make this decision.

There is another possibility, I was on YT music premium subscription which costs Rs 99/month, it also allows pausing the plan when not in use. I'm satisfied with the collection and audio quality, which is at par with Apple music. This limited offer made me pause the subscription for 4 months and try Tidal to see how much of a difference it makes and how many albums are missing with Tidal. More time to evaluate is definitely a plus :)

@Vivek Batra, thanks for the tip!

I am trying to understand through this episode the decision making psychology of potential subscribers when it comes to trying out a service.

Tidal always had a 30 days free trial. But the limited period ‘$4 for 4 months’ (reduced rate) trial offer is gaining a large traction among the FMs.

So, theoretically A and B put together should have had more potential subscribers availing the 30 days free trial than the $4 for four months trial. But reality is the opposite.

The possible reason to explain this divergence of reality from theory as I see it lies in the ‘limited period’ validity of this offer.

The 30 days free trial was always eternally available, it wasn’t for a limited period. So, even if potential subscribers were considering it, most did not act upon it. There was no ‘sense of urgency’. And as we know, change seldom happens without a sense of urgency.

But with the $4 for four months offer being only for a limited period (at least that’s the perception on the forum), it has created a sense of urgency in those who were considering trying it out. And they are taking up on it.

Therefore, it makes marketers sense to introduce limited period offers from time to time. The whole ‘seasonal sale’ is based on the same principle. But here we are talking of subscription to a service and not outright product purchase. Yet, the psychology works similarly.

Note: The intention is not to value judge. It’s only to analyse and understand a phenomenon.
also the promotional 3rd party site is getting commission as its mentioned above on their website when you have to click on Claim Offer :)

1 month free trial would be a sane step if someone just wants to compare Tidal over others. But I guess TIDAL certainly scores over Spotify. My main source is Spotify, so for me this is a good opportunity to grab the offer. I assume same with others who are lacking good sources this is the opportunity.

I totally agree with your interpretation... one more point which attracted me was that a service which costs 20 dollars per month when available for one dollar a month is like free only

I should have clarified.. not much of MQA albums for Bollywood (data as of last year February time frame).. so if in case someone is inclined towards more of regional music, though they would have access to the regional album, they might not necessarily MQA. So in terms of VFM folks would be better off with Spotify/Prime Music.

The non-mqa still are HI-Res flacs with 44.1 Khz/16-bit and still sound better than Spotify IMO , but the library in TIDAL is nowhere near to spotify/prime music for bollywood songs.

The non-mqa still are HI-Res flacs with 44.1 Khz/16-bit and still sound better than Spotify IMO , but the library in TIDAL is nowhere near to spotify/prime music for bollywood songs.
are any of you facing issues with songs stopping midway over the last 2-3 days? i use tidal intregrated with Roon and songs are taking very long to load and also stop midway. was trying to understand if it is a network issue (due to stay@home & covid) or tidal issue, or just simply a roon issue

are any of you facing issues with songs stopping midway over the last 2-3 days? i use tidal intregrated with Roon and songs are taking very long to load and also stop midway. was trying to understand if it is a network issue (due to stay@home & covid) or tidal issue, or just simply a roon issue
No issues for me, all going smooth even with MQA quality..

I tried today, went smoothly for sometime and then faced stuttering on a song. One of the song stopped midway and the next song started playing. Looks like you get what you pay for :D

I tried it today and it worked for me using the desktop app in windows . Somehow mobile app did not work as I could not download the App due to the country (not able to change to US). But happy with the performance using the windows app and streaming to Audiolab 6000A .
Four months of trail for $4 is a an option worth trying for. MQA from Bob , eagles are really sound better than Spotify . Still exploring. Thanks al for the detailed steps provided to get the set up done .

experienced this last night, was skipping after playing fine for sometime. Dunno if its my internet or tidal servers having the issue.

I've not faced any major hiccups with streaming/downloading to iPad, so far (I usually download the album in the iOS app before playing through stereo). But, it does take more time than expected for the downloading to complete and you need to keep the application open, else it will pause. The slow speeds could be due to high load on Tidal servers due to the higher than average users now, as I'm also facing a similar slow speed issue (which wasn't there earlier) on my video subscription with Criterion channel.

I also experienced the problem on tidal today when the song stopped playing midway and skipped to next track... but happened only once

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back