Tidal in india?

Hi FMs

I was trying to find how to download for offline mode from Tidal in desktop App. I am surprised that the download option is avialble only in Android/Mac apps only. Is that so or its hidden somewhere that I couldn t find?

Spotify allows to download in Windows app as well.
download mode is only for mobile / tablet devices unfortunately :-(

Can someone help me with this.
I am using Tidal on my Mac mini.
I am confused with the sound settings.
What is system controlled setting??How is it different from selecting the DAC. See attached pic.
Also,what should be the right setting in Audio Midi. should it be 16 bit/44.1. or can use 16/96. what is the difference both setting gives a sound output.When tidal exclusive mode is selected, it select 24/96 by itself and locks it.But no sound output as my DAc does not support it I guess.

Is TE7022 your dac ?

Someone in this thread says he's using Tidal and sharing it with four others to reduce monthly subscription cost. How does this work ? Can four different users with the same username-password use different devices in different locations and listen to different playlists ?

Someone in this thread says he's using Tidal and sharing it with four others to reduce monthly subscription cost. How does this work ? Can four different users with the same username-password use different devices in different locations and listen to different playlists ?

Tidal has something called as a family plan, where a total of 5 people can join and one among them will be the owner. So the owner can assign the remaining users with there individual Emails which act as individual Tidal logins. So each one gets to have individual membership type but all within the same family plan. That is the best way to reduce and distribute the total cost of the monthly subscription.

Tidal has something called as a family plan, where a total of 5 people can join and one among them will be the owner. So the owner can assign the remaining users with there individual Emails which act as individual Tidal logins. So each one gets to have individual membership type but all within the same family plan. That is the best way to reduce and distribute the total cost of the monthly subscription.

Thanks !!!

Regards,

Denzil

I bought TIDAL 4 months subscription for 4$ last week (offer may still be valid), and sound quality is similar to Amazon Music HD if not better.

Guys how you have installed app on your phones? Side loaded? How to get it from Google play store so that it gets regular updates?

Download the apk file directly from one of the many sites on internet and use it. Updates will be manual in the same way though. Mobile app although has few quality settings, end of the day seems sluggish to me and not as snappy as Amazon Music or other regional apps like Ganaa, JioSaavn, etc.

In my experience, of using TIDAL for almost last 18 months western albums have the best quality and you can go hit or miss with the Bollywood albums that are more than 10 years old. The problem however is different, in several Kolkata audio meets I have extensively tested Tidal vs CD one after the other and quality (latency) of internet connection is very crucial for better output than quantity (speed). On a poor (high latency) 4G connection there will not be any chopping or buffering but your output will be worse as in less detail or clarity or not so identical vocals as the offline copy on CD. But broadband / wired based connection seems to perform way better in this regard.

Also getting the MQA (basically high sample rates like 88/44 or beyond) works only on the PC with the desktop app but be careful as windows does its unwanted trick on the output sampling rates, so try using ASIO or a direct USB DAC that has drivers for guaranteed un-tampered results.

Download the apk file directly from one of the many sites on internet and use it. Updates will be manual in the same way though. Mobile app although has few quality settings, end of the day seems sluggish to me and not as snappy as Amazon Music or other regional apps like Ganaa, JioSaavn, etc.

In my experience, of using TIDAL for almost last 18 months western albums have the best quality and you can go hit or miss with the Bollywood albums that are more than 10 years old. The problem however is different, in several Kolkata audio meets I have extensively tested Tidal vs CD one after the other and quality (latency) of internet connection is very crucial for better output than quantity (speed). On a poor (high latency) 4G connection there will not be any chopping or buffering but your output will be worse as in less detail or clarity or not so identical vocals as the offline copy on CD. But broadband / wired based connection seems to perform way better in this regard.

Also getting the MQA (basically high sample rates like 88/44 or beyond) works only on the PC with the desktop app but be careful as windows does its unwanted trick on the output sampling rates, so try using ASIO or a direct USB DAC that has drivers for guaranteed un-tampered results.
Hi

Thanks for the info. I use the app on phone just to use my phone as a remote. The main app is always in my pc using Jio Fibre.

Is the master quality MQA? My dac is dad but doesn't support MQA. If so the I think no use of going for hi fi subscription.

I had to install a fax driver on my pc, is that what you are suggesting?

Thanks.

Is the master quality MQA? My dac is dad but doesn't support MQA. If so the I think no use of going for hi fi subscription.

Vivek, not being able play MQA doesn’t necessarily make the Hifi subscription worthless. You can still stream FLAC. Also, if you google you’d find enough debates on whether MQA really adds any SQ to an album or is merely some well-designed and impressively marketed CODEC. I’ve concluded for myself that any album originally recorded at CD resolution (which applies to almost all albums till very recent times) even if boosted in resolution by any means, can not have it’s sound quality improved - but only altered. It’s possible that one might like the altered sound, but that it is better sound is an illusion. Also, it’s not the real hi-res sound one gets with say a SACD or at HDTracks. Worse still, if one cares for it, MQA seems like an attempt to ‘DRM’ise music.

I find the FLAC versions of Tidal albums more authentic therefore and worth the subscription (in the absence of any cheaper but equivalent streaming service).

P.S. I am not techie enough, so form an overall view on issues to be able to make my decision. But for those who want to and can understand, you’d find some explanations like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Thanks for the info. I use the app on phone just to use my phone as a remote. The main app is always in my pc using Jio Fibre.

Is the master quality MQA? My dac supports DSD but doesn't support MQA. If so the I think no use of going for hi fi subscription.

I had to install a DAC driver on my pc, is that what you are suggesting?

Thanks.
Corrections

Not dad but DSD. Not fax but DAC.

Vivek, not being able play MQA doesn’t necessarily make the Hifi subscription worthless. You can still stream FLAC. Also, if you google you’d find enough debates on whether MQA really adds any SQ to an album or is merely some well-designed and impressively marketed CODEC. I’ve concluded for myself that any album originally recorded at CD resolution (which applies to almost all albums till very recent times) even if boosted in resolution by any means, can not have it’s sound quality improved - but only altered. It’s possible that one might like the altered sound, but that it is better sound is an illusion. Also, it’s not the real hi-res sound one gets with say a SACD or at HDTracks. Worse still, if one cares for it, MQA seems like an attempt to ‘DRM’ise music.

I find the FLAC versions of Tidal albums more authentic therefore and worth the subscription (in the absence of any cheaper but equivalent streaming service).

P.S. I am not techie enough, so form an overall view on issues to be able to make my decision. But for those who want to and can understand, you’d find some explanations like this:
Thanks for sharing this Sachin.

I had to install a fax driver on my pc, is that what you are suggesting?
I suggest you follow the below two threads and also this link http://www.asio4all.org/ . The objective is to bypass windows mixer.

I believe @SachinChavan has already answered your other query

I have installed Tidal desktop app on my Laptop and streaming Tidal music to Marantz av receiver through HDMI port. I have listened many albums on Tidal on MQA as well as FLAC version. To my personal test MQA sounds rich and lively than FLAC version. It has better resolution and clearity. Tidal desktop app itself unfold the MQA and send data to Marantz. Once you start listening MQA, very rarely you will enjoy FLAC.( If both version available on Tidal). Now I am in the process on getting ASIO on my Laptop so that I can directly stream digital data to Marantz without any interference from windows. That may still sound better. Recently I have switched from Tidal UK account to Tidal Turkey. Tidal UK have better connectivity and smooth functioning than Turkey. But Tidal Turkey is super cheap than Tidal UK

I have installed Tidal desktop app on my Laptop and streaming Tidal music to Marantz av receiver through HDMI port. I have listened many albums on Tidal on MQA as well as FLAC version. To my personal test MQA sounds rich and lively than FLAC version. It has better resolution and clearity. Tidal desktop app itself unfold the MQA and send data to Marantz. Once you start listening MQA, very rarely you will enjoy FLAC.( If both version available on Tidal). Now I am in the process on getting ASIO on my Laptop so that I can directly stream digital data to Marantz without any interference from windows. That may still sound better. Recently I have switched from Tidal UK account to Tidal Turkey. Tidal UK have better connectivity and smooth functioning than Turkey. But Tidal Turkey is super cheap than Tidal UK

RP, between the MQA and FLAC versions, which one has more ’emotion’, ‘naturalness’ and ‘ease’? Do check with some old melodies (Vocal Jazz or Blues for example as its difficult to find MQA versions of old Indian songs).

Last edited by a moderator:
RP, between the MQA and FLAC versions, which one has more ’emotion’, ‘flow’ and ‘ease’? Do check with some old melodies (Vocal Jazz or Blues for example as its difficult to find MQA versions of old Indian songs).

Sir,I found the MQA version better in every aspect. Many of the MQA format songs are at par with CDs . I have some 3000+ CDs but now a days I use tidal a lot, reason being wide choice of Music and some titles ( mostly MQA) sounds better in Tidal.

How the MQA and FLAC are differentiated? Master vs HiFi?

How the MQA and FLAC are differentiated? Master vs HiFi?

In the listing MQA is demarcated by a small icon ‘M’ (in grey rectangle) next to the track title and the word ‘Master’ in grey rectangle next the album title.

When you play MQA track, it shows ‘Master’ in yellow letters in the play bar below. When you play a FLAC track, it shows ‘Hifi’ in blue letters in the play bar below.

In the listing MQA is demarcated by a small icon ‘M’ (in grey rectangle) next to the track title and the word ‘Master’ in grey rectangle next the album title.

When you play MQA track, it shows ‘Master’ in yellow letters in the play bar below. When you play a FLAC track, it shows ‘Hifi’ in blue letters in the play bar below.
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming Sachin.

Hi FMs

Something I noticed about Tidal that is not possible (hope I am fully aware). I can control Spotify desktop app from my phone App while playing. I can switch tracks on phone and it happens on desktop app as well.

So basically when the both desktop and Android apps are launched, they are in sync and my phone acts as a remote for Spotify desktop app.

I am missing this with Tidal. Is it so or I am missing something?

With Spotify I can even launch it from a remote location on my TV as well.

Your experience on this?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back