to Norge or not to Norge

PsychdelicAvenger

Hello.Ive always been fascinated by stereo audio,and have finally been able to purchase the Polk T15,for an entry level stereo setup.I have my eyes on the Norge 2060 to pair with the T15's.I would like to know members' opinions regarding the said amplifier.I plan to use an USB audio device with RCA outputs as a DAC,The Focurite Scarlett solo,and also a turntable/dvd player. Are there better alternatives or is the NORGE going to back me up good ? .I listen to all kinds of music,preferably lossless and would also be using this setup to watch movies and youtube also.help me out,Thank YOu

Last edited:
For starters Norge is not bad but its not very good either. If your budget is less you can look for used goods. I have always found Cambridge audio being high VFM.

again that being said, Norge is also an option. I myself had Norge Concerto Gold at one point of time.

My suggestion would be to try to listen if possible and then trust your ears.

I would buy what sounds good to me, I prefer to buy in my budget, new if possible.

Norge is an old and great Indian brand. Laxman gives good support to all customers.

With any brand/model/amp an audition is most important. They all sound different. If you can, lug your speakers to the dealer.

Another brand to consider is panda audio. They make their own amps based on the old cosmic circuits. Their idea being to target that crowd that wants the old solid state sound. FWIW, The manufacturer's words, not mine. YMMV

That 2060 is no slouch and will get the job done.
It may not be very refined but it's definetly reliable tried and tested.

Diy doesn't interest you? There are a couple of designers on our forum.

They've designed great amp ckts. Killer sound

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and ordered the NORGE 2060.Unfortunately i wasnt able to demo them in my location city.I asked a couple of dealers but all they had were brands like yamaha,denon,marantz which im sure are stellar in their own rights,but right now in my budget i found the specs and overall research done on the nOrge to be perfect for my situation.The company gave a good response altogether and purchase was seamless,now am awaiting my baby in delivery currently.will give an honest review on the whole setup once its settled in my ears soon.

I went ahead and ordered the NORGE 2060.Unfortunately i wasnt able to demo them in my location city.I asked a couple of dealers but all they had were brands like yamaha,denon,marantz which im sure are stellar in their own rights,but right now in my budget i found the specs and overall research done on the nOrge to be perfect for my situation.The company gave a good response altogether and purchase was seamless,now am awaiting my baby in delivery currently.will give an honest review on the whole setup once its settled in my ears soon.
Great buy!

You will be happy

What's the current selling price for your model?

Congrats on picking the 2060. I had this model many years ago. Total vfm product backed by laxman's tech support.

Norge is extremely under rated. They tend to look too plain and do not aggressively market themselves.
Another brand to consider is panda audio. They make their own amps based on the old cosmic circuits. Their idea being to target that crowd that wants the old solid state sound. FWIW, The manufacturer's words, not mine. YMMV
I have used Panda amp. Really good price to performance ratio, and well built. Not for the picky sorts though.

A few years back I had to get a budget amp. I was also going through the dilemma of buying Norge, cheap Class D amps like SMSL, etc.

After auditioning some class D amps including from NAD that costs 60 - 75 K, I have decided I need a class A / A-B amp.

What I did was, I bought a used a Sony ES line integrated amp from 1991. These amps from 80s and early 90s are built like tanks. They often have big power supplies and large caps to handle big sine wave wings. Thus they can provide great dynamics.

Only problem is, as they are old, you may have to recap the amp.

Note:
I didn't like the fit and finish of the Norge. For me, elegance and build quality is also important.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back