Took kit for DIY

elango87

Hi,

I am looking forward to buy some tools for DIY speaker building project.
Currently all i have is a jig saw, a hand drill and a hammer :)
Is it possible to do a straight cut with a Jig saw?

What other tools i need apart from it?

Is Dremel 3000/4000 sufficient to do tasks like cutting, routing, sanding etc on wood which might be max 1 inch thick?
Are there any other multiple purpose tools like dremel?

Experts please advice.

Thanks,
Elango

I'm not much of a DIYer but...

-- Yes, you can do a straight cut with a [electric] jigsaw.

-- You can do all kinds of things with Dremel multi-tools, but I would not regard it as a heavyweight tool

Handheld wood files of 3-4 sizes, regular files in case you need to file metal once in a while, small filing kit for finer work, a router with some bits if you want to get adventurous, etc.

Hi,

I am looking forward to buy some tools for DIY speaker building project.
Currently all i have is a jig saw, a hand drill and a hammer :)
Is it possible to do a straight cut with a Jig saw?

What other tools i need apart from it?

Is Dremel 3000/4000 sufficient to do tasks like cutting, routing, sanding etc on wood which might be max 1 inch thick?
Are there any other multiple purpose tools like dremel?

Experts please advice.

Thanks,
Elango

Hi Elango,

In my experience Jig saw is not the best tool for straight cuts. Circular saw is better and a table saw is the best. I am not saying you can't do straight cuts with Jig saw, it can be used for the same but need more effort and often will not produce the result for the effort taken. But you can't avoid Jig at all, it is a very flexible and must to have tool.

I would suggest you to get a Circular saw, Router and an Orbital Sander to start with

Thanks,
Bibin

Last edited:
It may even be that a hand saw is better for straight cuts!

It's a good idea to practice hand-tool techniques before moving on to power tools. It is also wrong to assume that power tools, although they may require less physical effort, are easier to use than hand tools.

It may even be that a hand saw is better for straight cuts!

It's a good idea to practice hand-tool techniques before moving on to power tools. It is also wrong to assume that power tools, although they may require less physical effort, are easier to use than hand tools.

My +1 to that...need lot of practice to handle the power tools.

Good thread here. I also like to use hand tools, however power tools are helpful at times. The question is how many do you want to have when your usage is only ocassional I was looking at the following tool, this seem to be a new trend picking up. Appreciate some feedback. It can have multiple uses and seems wallet friendly too.

Black & Decker RTX-B 3-Speed RTX Rotary Tool Kit | eBay

The question is how many do you want to have when your usage is only ocassional

Buy as and when you need, and can justify, the purchase of each tool.

Each person may define need and justification. Sometimes a tool is justified for just one task, sometimes it is just too expensive even though it would get used regularly --- and sometimes, just as with some hifi, the pleasure of ownership is enough. Buying tools can easily become an addictive hobby in itself!

Buying tools can easily become an addictive hobby in itself!

:licklips: At times I wonder what gives me more pleasure - diy audio or collecting tools and salivating over them...thanks Thad for making me accept my addiction....

Last edited:
It's no problem. I was a DIY hobby jeweller once and I loved the tool buying. I had a workshop setup that was envied by a real pro that saw it. If I sold something I made, the proceeds got spent on a new tool :)

Ahhh... wish I had all that stuff still!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back