TV or Projector under 2L

Tirupati

HI Everyone,

I hope Everyone is safe in home

I am planning to buy a TV/Projector and Budget is 2L(Max) and i have zero idea about projectors . it would be great if you guys guide in right direction.
My viewing distance is 9-11 ft again based on sofa placement. this basically my secondary TV/projector mainly for movies and rarely games.

My requirements are

1. it should be future proof for at least 3 years
2. PQ will be first priority
3. Size is more than 65'' as per viewing distance else i would gone LG/Sony Oled's

Please suggest some TV/Projectors so i can start search from there. i gone many TV websites and most the specs looks same even though have huge difference.

HI Everyone,

I hope Everyone is safe in home

I am planning to buy a TV/Projector and Budget is 2L(Max) and i have zero idea about projectors . it would be great if you guys guide in right direction.
My viewing distance is 9-11 ft again based on sofa placement. this basically my secondary TV/projector mainly for movies and rarely games.

My requirements are

1. it should be future proof for at least 3 years
2. PQ will be first priority
3. Size is more than 65'' as per viewing distance else i would gone LG/Sony Oled's

Please suggest some TV/Projectors so i can start search from there. i gone many TV websites and most the specs looks same even though have huge difference.
Considering viewing distance projector is a must.
Considering PQ TV would be a better option.
And for video size matters..
So I would recommend projector.

First the need to finalise whether to go for a TV or projector..
Then decide on which model to buy.
Max possible tv size for that budget is 75"

yes am also leaning towards TV only and considering in that price do we get decent PQ 4k Projectors. in TV's also we have few options.

I recommend Epson Eh-Tw9400 4k projector, you can get it for approx 1.85 L with b&w. You will have to spend 20-30k for decent screen depending on the screen size. It is an awesome projector.

I am using it on a 133 inch screen from approx 15 ft.

For that kind of money a TV makes more sense personally. No matter how good the projector is you will always have to manage the ambient light of the room, which although can be achieved but is not without hassles.

I recommend Epson Eh-Tw9400 4k projector, you can get it for approx 1.85 L with b&w. You will have to spend 20-30k for decent screen depending on the screen size. It is an awesome projector.

I am using it on a 133 inch screen from approx 15 ft.

How is the PQ as comparable to 4k TV's ? any maintenance required on timely manner ?

For that kind of money a TV makes more sense personally. No matter how good the projector is you will always have to manage the ambient light of the room, which although can be achieved but is not without hassles.

Yes even am inclined towards TV and in my budget am not sure any decent 4k TV's available which will be 50% performance as Oled's in dark/brightness department.

What room is it? Is it a dedicated room? In which case I would prefer to go with projector.
When selecting a projector, do check if it is native 4k. Lot of projectors are sold as 4k but are not genuinly that.
All projectors have a max and min distance from the screen. This is called throw distance.
Go to https://www.projectorcentral.com for an exhaustive guide to buying projectors.
You can select throw distance limits and screen size on the site to see which ones fit your room.

Being in a major city, you can compare for yourself at dealers.

How is the PQ as comparable to 4k TV's ? any maintenance required on timely manner ?
Picture quality is very good, I suggested the projector as it is your secondary option for occasional movie/gaming.

If it's a clean & dust free room not much to be done for maintenance. It had auto shut lens cover also so lens will be covered when not in use.

The lens had a life of 5000hrs, that need to be replaced may be after 5-7 years, depending on your usage. You can get it serviced & cleaned after couple of years.

The projector is not native 4k. To get native 4k you will have to spend at least double. But the image is brilliant as such. If you had lot of ambient light in room then go for tv.

What room is it? Is it a dedicated room? In which case I would prefer to go with projector.
When selecting a projector, do check if it is native 4k. Lot of projectors are sold as 4k but are not genuinly that.
All projectors have a max and min distance from the screen. This is called throw distance.
Go to https://www.projectorcentral.com for an exhaustive guide to buying projectors.
You can select throw distance limits and screen size on the site to see which ones fit your room.

Being in a major city, you can compare for yourself at dealers.

Native 4k noway fit in my budget. projectors wchic has decent PQ sell out upwards 3L. in these case i may look only for 75'' TV .

please suggest as i can see sony,lg,samsung may fit in this budget

Hey Tirupati

Hope all is well. First of all you need to finalise if you want a tv or a projector. It’s difficult to suggest when you are comparing two different products which differ in every possible outcome with their performance. If you can share more details about your room it will be helpful. Also what is the maximum size of both the tv and projector screen your room can accommodate after you install the LCR. My suggestion will be go for a projector. I recently got a 65 inch c9 but before I got it I did all the research if I can install a projector and screen in my place. Sadly I couldn’t cause my set up is in a bedroom with a door and with the LCR installed maximum size that I could accommodate was 65 inch so went with a TV. Upgrading from a very good 43 inch led to oled 65 I enjoy the size more then the picture quality. So if u can install a minimum 100 inch screen in your set up just go for a projector. In my office they have a 85 inch tv. First one week it felt OMG so big but now not so much. But when ever I visit a friends place that has a 100 inch screen I feel so sad that even after spending so much and having the budget to install a projector and screen but don’t have the space.

Hey Tirupati

Hope all is well. First of all you need to finalise if you want a tv or a projector. It’s difficult to suggest when you are comparing two different products which differ in every possible outcome with their performance. If you can share more details about your room it will be helpful. Also what is the maximum size of both the tv and projector screen your room can accommodate after you install the LCR. My suggestion will be go for a projector. I recently got a 65 inch c9 but before I got it I did all the research if I can install a projector and screen in my place. Sadly I couldn’t cause my set up is in a bedroom with a door and with the LCR installed maximum size that I could accommodate was 65 inch so went with a TV. Upgrading from a very good 43 inch led to oled 65 I enjoy the size more then the picture quality. So if u can install a minimum 100 inch screen in your set up just go for a projector. In my office they have a 85 inch tv. First one week it felt OMG so big but now not so much. But when ever I visit a friends place that has a 100 inch screen I feel so sad that even after spending so much and having the budget to install a projector and screen but don’t have the space.

Exactly am in same boat as you and you already bought TV and i don't want regret in future so.. My room dimensions are 13*11*9.5(L*W*H).

My viewing distance approx 9 -10 ft. so i thought of TV first and i was searching for 75''. these mid-range TV from main manufacturers will fit on budget . again confused like in same budget i can go for projector as well. obliviously TV will edge over Projector

Now my concern is for size need to sacrifice the PQ. please suggest which decent projectors within 2L and i will use it atleast 3-5 years.

Exactly am in same boat as you and you already bought TV and i don't want regret in future so.. My room dimensions are 13*11*9.5(L*W*H).

My viewing distance approx 9 -10 ft. so i thought of TV first and i was searching for 75''. these mid-range TV from main manufacturers will fit on budget . again confused like in same budget i can go for projector as well. obliviously TV will edge over Projector

Now my concern is for size need to sacrifice the PQ. please suggest which decent projectors within 2L and i will use it atleast 3-5 years.
Projectors within 1.5-2L will give you a very good picture quality. If you have the space to install a 100 inch screen or more in size just go for a projector. Tv can never give u the cinematic experience like a projector does.

I own a budget 1080p projector BENQ 1080ST and also own a LG 55' C7 OLED. While the PQ of the OLED is noticeably better than my projector , but the cinematic experience is surreal. Combined with a good HT system , you will enjoy it much more than a TV.

I have a 11 by 14 bedroom where i setup the system, the screen wall has an almirah like structure on one side and other side has lofts on top but still managed to just fit a 120 inch screen. Would suggest you to check for screen measurements online and see what fits best, i personally feel a 100/105 inch screen will fit your wall if the screen wall doesnt have any lofts/almirah built onto it

I own a budget 1080p projector BENQ 1080ST and also own a LG 55' C7 OLED. While the PQ of the OLED is noticeably better than my projector , but the cinematic experience is surreal. Combined with a good HT system , you will enjoy it much more than a TV.

I have a 11 by 14 bedroom where i setup the system, the screen wall has an almirah like structure on one side and other side has lofts on top but still managed to just fit a 120 inch screen. Would suggest you to check for screen measurements online and see what fits best, i personally feel a 100/105 inch screen will fit your wall if the screen wall doesnt have any lofts/almirah built onto it

Wall does nt have any loft anything . My concern is all about PQ . In my budget am looking for any TV/Projector which future proof for atleast 3-4 years. I need to sacrifice for PQ for size so here am bit confused .. even Naveen suggested to look for projectors.

I have this projector screen which I am not using anymore after I sold off my projector last year. I think I would have used it for not more than 2-3 months. If someone locally in Bangalore is interested then please PM me. I also have the L clamps to mount this screen got from Amazon US.
I have the universal projector mount unused as well. If someone wants all the 3 locally in Bangalore we can get speak on the pricing.

Thanks

I bet the difference would be even lower/less noticeable if you are having a 1.5-2L budget. Mine is a 1080p projector and the major differences i usually notice are during dark scenes , else because of the bigger screen and sound effects all other things go pretty much unnoticed on regular usage. Feel free to drop over for a demo once current situation improves.

Wall does nt have any loft anything . My concern is all about PQ . In my budget am looking for any TV/Projector which future proof for atleast 3-4 years. I need to sacrifice for PQ for size so here am bit confused .. even Naveen suggested to look for projectors.

Projectors within 1.5-2L will give you a very good picture quality. If you have the space to install a 100 inch screen or more in size just go for a projector. Tv can never give u the cinematic experience like a projector does.
Very rightly said Navin & Flux. Where cinematic experience is concerned. Overall a big screen size with good PQ and a good sound system is generally better than a small screen size with an excellent PQ imho.
Now I am feeling tempted to buy one :D but don't have a dedicated room.

Last edited:
A Good Projector coupled with a completely blacked out room will never beat the OLED performance. The Sheer size beats the slightly better image quality everytime.
If you have a dedicated room, black it out and when i mean black it out, not just with the blackest paint available coz the paint will still reflect off some light, but with black velvet. The end result should be a floating image in the dark on the biggest screen you can put up. Blacking out will improve the image drastically as there is no light coming on the screen after reflecting off the walls. Beats the TV. Anyday.
I have a dedicated room of 2800 cubic feet. I have painted it black, but the velvet process has to be done. ( Which i will do once i get a Projector )

Back