Universal Remote Recommendation

mad

Guys looking for some recommendations for Universal remotes. When I started researching on Amazon. I really liked the Harmony One But then I read reports of intermittent battery failure (not to mention the lack of availability of batteries in India). Not given up on it. But having second thoughts.

So, now I am back to the drawing board as fas as choices go.

So what do I need it for.

Panasonic TV
TSHD+ DVR
WD live Hub
PS3 ( I know it is bluetooth and I have a PS3 remote) This is optional if it drives up the cost.
and in the near future a Region B Blu ray player

I need an internet programmable remote.
With Back to back learning functionality.
Macro functionality, (Turn on the TV, DVR, set aspect ratio colour modes etc.)

Suggestions are welcome. Budget is as low as possible (Don't let the Harmony One choice fool you, cheaper is better).

Guys looking for some recommendations for Universal remotes. When I started researching on Amazon. I really liked the Harmony One But then I read reports of intermittent battery failure (not to mention the lack of availability of batteries in India). Not given up on it. But having second thoughts.

So, now I am back to the drawing board as fas as choices go.

So what do I need it for.

Panasonic TV
TSHD+ DVR
WD live Hub
PS3 ( I know it is bluetooth and I have a PS3 remote) This is optional if it drives up the cost.
and in the near future a Region B Blu ray player

I need an internet programmable remote.
With Back to back learning functionality.
Macro functionality, (Turn on the TV, DVR, set aspect ratio colour modes etc.)

Suggestions are welcome. Budget is as low as possible (Don't let the Harmony One choice fool you, cheaper is better).

I use Harmony 700, it uses standard AA batteries that are easily available, you can either use the rechargable stock batteries which can be cgarhed while inside remote using the [power adapter or you can put your rechargable / alkaline batteries insde and use it. Supports upto 8 devices, internet configurable (via activex). I am happy with it.

Even Harmony 525 is good. It fulfills all the criteria like internet programmable, learning, macro and uses four AA cells and is one of the cheapest. Should cost you appx Rs. 2.5 ~ 3K.

I am using harmony 525 and it has all the features you are looking for. The price should be around 3K. I bought it from letsbuy.com.

On amazon there are several remotes from Sony and URC with Macros function available within the price range of $15-$25.
These look good for controlling 5-8 devices. Any one with experience of these remotes , please share.

Oh yeah. I forgeot to mention before.
I am using Sony VL-600 since about 2.5 years brought from US for appx $18. My experience is very good. It has 8 devices with built-in codes as well as learning ability. I don't think it has limited memory for memorising the learnt functions unlike cheaper remotes where you can only make it learn a few buttons. And it has 4 macro buttons too.
Only thing, due to rough handling (there a re kids at home, so cant help), its nearing the end of its useful life.
Another model, the VL-610 looks similar in form and function and is nowadays avaialble on amazon.

Neeraj,
Macros are nothing but a series of button presses memorised on a button. It works and I always use a macro button to switch on & off the TV+Tata Sky.

I have had a very good experience with Sony learning remotes... I have used 2 models over last 5 years

RMVL600 (4-5 yrs old) and RMVLZ620 (1.5 yrs old). Both have worked very well, including learning codes of all my HT gear including devices that dont have standard codes like an LiteOn DVD Recorder, Airtel IPTV, TataSky HD+, Onida DVDP etc...

They run for about 5-6 months with Duracell....Within the price bracket of $30, they are fantastic....strongly recommend.

And yes, the macros work well - I have them programmed to switch on/off all my gear like reciever, TV, TataSky at one go

Last edited:
Few days back I have purchased Logitech Harmony 650 for 3550 Rs. Very satisfied with the purchase. I have configured 4 of my devices within 10 minutes. And another 5 minutes for configuring activities. Even Himedia 600B and Zenega STB (local digital cable) was also listed in the known devices.

Now I got rid of 4 remotes. Now I am planning to buy PS3 adapter, so that I can get rid of all my remotes (I spent 1400Rs for PS3 remote now less than year old, I would have saved on it and purchased the adapter instead).

Only 5 devices are supported by 650. That is sufficient for me.

Last edited:
My main objection to Harmony remotes is their prices. Agreed that Harmony has a huge database of codes but I am using Protouch remote costing 600 bucks to control my 5 devices. Setting up these 5 devices took a total of 30 minutes. Only thing is I am apprehensive about protouch quality and as I have not used any other universal remote, 'maybe' button layout could have been better on it.
Now I am thinking of getting a Sony or URC remote for 1000-1500 with macro and learning functions.
Simply put, I don't see any value in spending more than 1500 on a remote. Above 1500 I will rather juggle my multiple remotes.

True, but the decision is based on one's personal interest. The value I see in Logitech Harmony 650 may not be same as others. The looks, display, back-light keys, ergonomics of the Logitech 650 were major factors for my purchase.

I also own an unbranded URC (bought for 500 Rs), but it has lot of buttons on it. My family members never used the unbranded one. But when I introduced Logitech Harmony 650, everyone started using it. Because of its sheer ease of use.

Price is on higher side, but with 2 year Manufacturer's warranty it seems OK (ideal price should have been in range of 2.5K).

Last edited:
As I mentioned I have no other experience of universal remote controls.regarding the value points you mentioned, I agree with you that it is also a matter of personal tastes.
As you have used both type of remotes, can you please tell me the comfort level difference in pressing the buttons on both the remotes.
As to the number of buttons, tata sky hd+ remote has 41 buttons , 3 more than the protouch remote. So how do you manage ts hd+ on harmony?
I am looking for a 2nd remote and if Harmony remote can justify its prices I will most certainly buy it. Actually a Harmony remote will gel well with my squeezebox touch.

For extended options, the screen will show you options specific to the device you choose to operate.

Initially the Activity options will be displayed on the screen. When you press the center button (just below the screen), it will take you to devices configured.
When you select the needed device, options specific to that device will be displayed on the screen. Note that these are extended options, apart from what you can do from the provided buttons.

This way the remote segregates the regular operations and extended/specific operations.

Also when configuring an activity, say TV and STB, it gives you an option to increase volume from TV or STB, change channels from TV or STB.

By this we don't need to select the devices when volume needs to be changed, or select other device when channel needs to be changed.
Seemlessly two remotes are merged.

The remote also provided help, when one device is not switched on or off, because of some interference or other reason (some one coming in between).

I agree with guru that harmony 650 is quite nice looking , sturdy and efficient remote.
Although its interface and instructions are quite straightforward ,it still takes some to time to get familier with it and configure properly..especially if you have (like me ) never used such remotes .

I am still facing problem for tata sky hd+ device for which I am unable to activate/add tata sky's back or return button to harmony's exit or return button .

e.g. If I use guide button to navigate the set of channles i.e HD ,movies ,by region etc.. I cant get rid that page using exit or back button ( when tata sky device is in use ) on harmony .

I explored activities/ custom button under watch tv and for pvr but could find the solution .
If anyone has configured full tata sky hd+ remote on their harmony , then please share the tips and tricks.

I agree with guru that harmony 650 is quite nice looking , sturdy and efficient remote.
Although its interface and instructions are quite straightforward ,it still takes some to time to get familier with it and configure properly..especially if you have (like me ) never used such remotes .

I am still facing problem for tata sky hd+ device for which I am unable to activate/add tata sky's back or return button to harmony's exit or return button .

e.g. If I use guide button to navigate the set of channles i.e HD ,movies ,by region etc.. I cant get rid that page using exit or back button ( when tata sky device is in use ) on harmony .

I explored activities/ custom button under watch tv and for pvr but could find the solution .
If anyone has configured full tata sky hd+ remote on their harmony , then please share the tips and tricks.

Did you try and make the remote "learn" the back funtion? Learning should definitely solve the problem. I used to have Harmony 550 and was able to configure all functions of the Tata Sky remote.

Did u try pressing the same button again. I don't have tata sky, guessing based on setup button for my Onkyo 3400.

I use the harmony one and am happy to say I love it ! Ive had it for a good year and have had no battery issues yet!

no one want to reply?????
I know 525 is better than 300..what I am asking you is if you have 4 devices to connect, what will you opt for? 300 or 525?
at 1500( with 10% coupon ), is 300 a good buy?
and same for 525 at 2700(10% coupon applied)?
if i go for 300, what will I miss apart from LCD screen and activities?( I mean hardware and CC support is same for both)
in this link they mentioned 3 yr warranty for 525..Is it true?
please help me..

If you dont fancy LCD , backlit keys , ability of 10 device configuration , looks , design etc then the choice is clear..300 will let you control four devices with minimum choices i.e how you want to control those four device.

whereas 525 ( based on feature details ) will have more option wherein you can configure activities...one touch buttons like wath tv , dvd etc along with all those fancy features...

If budget is no constraint..go for 525...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back