Upgrading from a computer 2.1, what should I buy?

narak

Just made this account! I've intermittently read on hifivision but never posted anything. So hi! Also, thanks in advance! I'm completely new to this so I'll layout as much information as I can. Never built an HT before.

I've been using the Altec Lansing MX5021(that I bought for my computer 10 years back) with my TV for a while now. Most of the times, it is just fine. But every time there is dialogue(esp with a lot of reverb like in stage shows) the dialogue becomes incredibly muddled and I have to fiddle with the volume constantly. So I've given up and I'm looking for an upgrade, the 5021s can go back to my computer.

My budget is 70k but its fairly flexible and I don't mind stretching it quite a bit if it means a system that'll last me longer. I want to buy something that lasts me for a long time and possibly something I can upgrade overtime, a piece at a time.

I listen to some music but its mostly used for the PS4, Netflix, Prime and Chromecast. But the idea of a bluetooth AVR is cool, and I'd listen to music on it if it were convenient.

I have an old 50" Micromax TV, which doesn't have HDMI ARC, so that's one restriction. Don't think I'm upgrading anytime soon.

Also, I rent, so wiring constraints. Though I'm not beyond cello-taping wires across the ceiling if its worth it. But wireless speakers, soundbars, or a better 2.1 might be more convenient.

Last edited:
AVR and speakers/sub is the way to go if you are certain that the listening space is yours to play with.
If renting/moving, soundbars or all-in-ones are convenient.
Check offerings from companies like Definitive Technology, KEF, BlueSound, Cambridge Audio, etc for active systems.

Cheers,
Raghu

Since you mentioned wiring constraints, I'd suggest you to try the Yamaha YAS-207BL or the JBL Bar 5.1 soundbars. Your requirements will surely be met with these. But, if you want something that can be upgraded over time, take the suggestions mentioned in above posts.

What's your DAC on-board or something else ?

Ciao
GR
Um, its just connected to the TV headphone out.
AVR and speakers/sub is the way to go if you are certain that the listening space is yours to play with.
If renting/moving, soundbars or all-in-ones are convenient.
Check offerings from companies like Definitive Technology, KEF, BlueSound, Cambridge Audio, etc for active systems.

Cheers,
Raghu
Any suggestions for what to look for to define whats better than the other? A bit of analysis paralysis here.
Since you mentioned wiring constraints, I'd suggest you to try the Yamaha YAS-207BL or the JBL Bar 5.1 soundbars. Your requirements will surely be met with these. But, if you want something that can be upgraded over time, take the suggestions mentioned in above posts.
I saw these, but I was wondering if there is something a bit better available that I don't know off since my budget allows it.

I do not know about the Micromax telly. Last time I tried audio output from a telly was with a sony. It had a very ordinary DAC. I don't recall well but I think a fiio DAC for some 2k trumped it roundly. And did 5.1 (which I had/ have no idea about). I had the output from the fiio go to a sony boom box I had paid for on the never never for a year. It was an improvement over the telly. And since we said Trump, bigly.

That 2k was the most expensive wallet altering SQ gain I purchased. I'm still paying.

You are safe and clear and well away from the rabbit hole. This is the moment to quietly walk away.

If you want to look at a DAC/ amp. I don't know which a Schiit Modi perhaps ?

Ciao
GR

Any suggestions for what to look for to define whats better than the other? A bit of analysis paralysis here.

I saw these, but I was wondering if there is something a bit better available that I don't know off since my budget allows it.

Let's look at all the variables here:
- mostly for TV/movies
- older TV that has HDMI but no ARC (hope I have assumed correctly)
- rented place; can't run concealed wires
- AVR 5.1 or 7.1; Atmos or not (lots of speaker possibilities)
- upgrade/expansion path

Soundbar/Soundcube/Soundbase
- compact lifestyle items that augment TV sound to make it better
- may be used for music listening too
- small footprint; very few wires
- limited upgrade/expansion; just buy it, use it and live with it
- poor resale value; but great if you can later gift or re-purpose at parents/family/friends home

AVR (and the whole nine yards)
- great for audio and video processing; can host many sources if TV is not smart
- lots of audio formats (but beware you may be paying royalty for formats you'll never use)
- needs ventilated space for unit/sources and real estate for speakers/subwoofer
- wiring mess if not concealed
- clearly defined expansion/upgrade path (lots of options; boon and bane)
- need to match speakers with room and then AVR with speakers
- decent resale value

If going the AVR route, in a rented home with limited options for wiring, start with a 3.0 or 3.1 system.
Add more speakers as convenient.
AVR: at least 50Wpc, network capable (Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo to name a few)
Speakers:
book shelves and satellites (Taga, Polk, ELAC, Dali, KEF to name a few)
Sub: minimum 8" to 10" ported box, powered unit (Taga, BIC, Polk, SVS to name a few)

Evaluate multiple brands in Bangalore at ProFx, Jamsticks, Home Theater Store, DNI and many more dealer/showrooms.
Do some reading on forum to understand benefits, impressions and challenges as detailed by actual users.
If possible, hook up with local FMs who will lend you an ear.
Don't hurry the process and since you are starting out, never buy on blind recommendation.
It is your money at work here, so please audition and be absolutely sure about the performance/features.

Cheers,
Raghu

Also, any suggestions for shops in Bangalore that stock enough variety to sample?
Sony announced the HT-Z9F recently and it fits well within your budget. Call a Sony showroom nearby and check with them for an audition. Apart from that, there will be sales from home theatre showrooms on certain speakers, you'll have to try fwiw.

I listen to some music but its mostly used for the PS4, Netflix, Prime and Chromecast.

If you have more devices with HDMI, then an AVR is better choice, due to simplified connectivity..

But the idea of a bluetooth AVR is cool, and I'd listen to music on it if it were convenient.

An AVR with bluetooth is a very handy feature.. You can play wireless from mobile..

I play from youtube music app to AVR via bluetooth, it is so convenient.. There isn't a need to turn on display..

Also, I rent, so wiring constraints. Though I'm not beyond cello-taping wires across the ceiling if its worth it. But wireless speakers, soundbars, or a better 2.1 might be more convenient.

Choose a speaker with key hole mount, so that you can hang them on wall.. Stick to speakers with smaller footprint (or) something that is not too boxy or imposing in your room.

Netflix and prime support multi-channel out.. As suggested by @raghupb , you can look at 5.1 AVR + 3.1 set-up, which can do the duty for both movies / music..

I have an old 50" Micromax TV, which doesn't have HDMI ARC, so that's one restriction. Don't think I'm upgrading anytime soon.

I don't think not having ARC feature on a TV is limitation.. You can do without that feature.. The only time it is useful is when you have directly connected the TV thru cable TV (or) when you play movies thru the TV's USB port..

But, if you are connecting thru HD/SD STB, then no issues.

@narak
This may be a good start for your AVR+ system
check FMs @rajudhs post
Both of you are in Bangalore too :)

Cheers,
Raghu

Wow, thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to digest this a bit.
Evaluate multiple brands in Bangalore at ProFx, Jamsticks, Home Theater Store, DNI and many more dealer/showrooms.
Do some reading on forum to understand benefits, impressions and challenges as detailed by actual users.
If possible, hook up with local FMs who will lend you an ear.
Don't hurry the process and since you are starting out, never buy on blind recommendation.
It is your money at work here, so please audition and be absolutely sure about the performance/features.

Cheers,
Raghu

I'm going to take this to heart. The AVR route sounds the right way for me. A nice AVR and wired 3.1 and may be wireless speakers for the rears later sounds perfect. I'll go to the shops you've mentioned and give it a go. That should be a learning in it self.

Do mention the size of the room as you need enough space to spread out the front 3 speakers and have enough room to the sides or behind the listening position. Cramming speakers is never a good idea.

Good point @tuff
@narak if possible share a picture of the section where the TV is located
It'll give an idea to FMs to highlight hidden challenges
Cheers,
Raghu

This is what my current place looks like. The place where the TV is is fairly big, with a very long living + dining room as you can see from the pictures.

That's a nice open space to play with. An AVR will do justice as compared to a soundbar here.
If you are more into music (and just want decent TV sound), even a starter stereo setup will work here.
Whatever you decide, get proper speaker stands if opting for bookshelf or stand-mount speakers.
Do not attempt to place speakers on the TV unit. It will be too low and will definitely resonate.
Some furniture rearrangement may be called for; like the angled console table.
Cheers,
Raghu

Music not that much, I generally prefer to listen to music on my headphones. I just want a good clear movie/netflix experience that I can build on.

I was thinking an AVR with tower speakers? I find that aesthetically more pleasing than the idea of bookshelves + sub. But I'll pick whatever sounds better.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back