Vinyl Records - Bangalore based online store

Its a good initiative, but highly priced. The flip side of such initiatives it that they commericalize the whole process of buying used vinyl and drive prices all the way up. The friendly neighbourhood uncle or aunt who wants to give off their record collections end up asking for Rs.250 to Rs.500 per record, thanks to their folks telling them that websites charge from Rs.1000 to Rs.10000 for records. I have had to let go quite a few good collections like this because of this scenario. Happy days for sellers but whether its a good trend for buyers, is highly debatable.

Yes the prices are definitely high. I was having a look at their recently cataloged LPs. They've got some Beatles and they all start from 1.8k onwards, Cream from 1.7k, fixed price of 2k for Jimi Hendrix:annoyed:! There's no mention of which pressing it is, which year, etc. So i inquired about that. Apparently none of them are 1st pressings. Most were 70s/80s re-issues. Plus many of them don't have inner sleeves. Basically they're charging high for the 'popular' bands/artists. Most of these classic rock ressiues you can easily get for a pretty cheap price right.

Wonder how much they'll charge if they do come across a really rare pressing of an album :eek:

**edit** Correction : The LPs that i mentioned are infact 1st pressings.

Last edited:
Consider this guys, 20-30 years back, I used buy imported LPs for Rs.60 to Rs.200, depending on the title & condition (mostly Rs.100 plus), while for box sets it was Rs.200-Rs.400. By 2000, the second-hand market was flooded with vinyl and there were hardly any takers. I used to rue over my collection of vinyl, as I had put in a lot of effort and money into it. As I was known to collect music, people had offered their vinyl collection for free - I had to politely decline due space constraints. Currently, I really dont understand the reasons for resurgence of vinyl and I dont intend to question it anymore!

Taking into consideration, the poor quality of reissues, monetary factors and above all the CRAZE FOR VINYL, I guess the price these guys are asking seems logical.

A few years ago, when in Pittsburgh, got a chance to visit Jerry's Records. Now, this guy is a hoarder of records, even featured on an episode of Taboo on National Geographic Channel. One can buy really inexpensive vinyl from his store. He has half dollar records, dollar records and even more expensive ones. The good thing is that he is quite a down to earth guy and takes a lot of interest in his customers. He gave me 2 LPs free with the 3 I purchased. There's a lot of vinyl out there to be had, especially in the United States. Waiting for the rupee to stabilize to plan my next purchase.

Here's an article on Jerry for general interest: Welcome to Jerry's Records, paradise for vinyl record lovers

I think in India people are a little confused about what is the right price for a 2nd hand record. For e.g. last year i got 1968, UK pressing, The White album (Beatles) in Delhi for 400 INR. As you might be aware this particular pressing was numbered. Starting from 0000000 to 9999999 (the first 4 were given to the 4 band members). The one that was being sold for 400 in Delhi, was a three digit number!! I blindly picked it up. Obviously the seller had no idea about the value of the record.

This is the case at the other end as well. Some people in India just price the 'english' classic records really highly. An example : Nirvana's album Bleach (on white vinyl) being sold for 7000 INR on olx.in.

Lp-nirvana-"bleach"- first albumn on white vinyl-13 track version-mint condition - Bangalore - CDs - DVDs - J.C Road

I know the original is really rare but this is a 2002 reissue, which is still available in stores for around 20-30 dollars. Its just that since there is no fixed price for these things (and I don't think there'll ever be one), there'll always be controversy.

I think in India people are a little confused about what is the right price for a 2nd hand record.

Quite right...in fact even people who are knowledgable and should ideally know the right price for a record are trying to make hay when the sun shines...

I recently got in touch with a person who was selling Bhangra Fever Vol 1 & 2 and was expecting 7K :rolleyes: ...now these could be considered as vintage and seminal in some circles but in no terms could they command such a price tag...I saw one of these albums in discogs that was being sold out of Sweden...would cost 2K...shipping and all...Rupee value notwithstanding...

Several years ago, when I was starting my vinyl journey, I bought a lot of old records from an elderly gent...I got some real gems there including court of the crimson king, blonde on blonde and TAAB...all under 100 bux...now the same person is looking for 350-500 for insignificant titles like disco hits...

'coz the times they are a-changing...

What is the correct price to pay for used lp! Everybody seems to have their opinion thats its high or low,but what is the correct price to pay? How does one arrive at what a used lp should cost.

What is the correct price to pay for used lp! Everybody seems to have their opinion thats its high or low,but what is the correct price to pay? How does one arrive at what a used lp should cost.

There is nothing called absolute 'correct price' when it comes to hobby. People are ready to spend huge amounts for, say, an antique broken metal bowl from the Mughal era which may not have any practical value nowadays.

It's all demand and supply theory. And there are plenty variables in this equation. For example, in Kolkata Bengali records are comparatively cheap(50 to 100 INR NM) and easily available. But Yesterday only I saw some Gujarati film music EP records which were sold for 600Rs each. Same thing may happen if I go looking for a Bengali record in, say, Gandhidham.

There must be some people here who has, at some point of time, passed/let go a record thinking of getting it cheaper later on. But never to get it again. So again it all comes to you and at that very point of time, how much you are ready to pay for that particular record.

So think yourself and decide accordingly. For some more info regarding your inquiry see the following thread

http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/46031-what-reasonable-price-used-lp-good-condition.html

regards

Bhaskar

I recently got in touch with a person who was selling Bhangra Fever Vol 1 & 2 and was expecting 7K :rolleyes: ...now these could be considered as vintage and seminal in some circles but in no terms could they command such a price tag...I saw one of these albums in discogs that was being sold out of Sweden...would cost 2K...shipping and all...Rupee value notwithstanding...

Okay...I got a note from the person who read my post here. He explained that he was not trying to make a fast buck here but had paid a huge amount in GBP to acquire the records and was letting it go only as he now had duplicates...

Point taken...it absolves him of any profiteering...he was being honest in his pricing as it cost him a bomb in the first place...that notwithstanding, it still is a telling comment on the prices records are commanding due to the vinyl resurgence...While going through Porcupine Tree titles in discogs recently, I saw a some albums on sale upwards of 200 euros!!!

While going through Porcupine Tree titles in discogs recently, I saw a some albums on sale upwards of 200 euros!!!

Porcupine Tree's Deadwing can easily go for over 500 USD!! They released the album on vinyl in very limited numbers in 2005. I think it was 2000 copies. And considering the amount of PT fans today around the world who collect vinyls..Its very easy for the price of such a rare item to go so high..But i heard that Deadwing is going to be reissued on vinyl sometime next year. You have any Porcupine Tree albums on vinyl?

You have any Porcupine Tree albums on vinyl?

Sadly no...and going by the price they command probably never will :(

Would love to have Deadwing and Stupid Dream...in fact it's tough even to get a decently priced CD of the latter...

Other titles on my wishlist - Powerslave, Mirage & Moonmadness (Camel), Operation Mindcrime...

Sadly no...and going by the price they command probably never will :(

Would love to have Deadwing and Stupid Dream...in fact it's tough even to get a decently priced CD of the latter...

I have one PT album on vinyl (Fear of a Blank Planet). Bought it from Burningshed.

Other titles on my wishlist - Powerslave, Mirage & Moonmadness (Camel), Operation Mindcrime...

Oh nice! I have all of them. But only Powerslave on vinyl. The rest on CD. I have Camel's Snow Goose on vinyl though.

Got Dream Theater's Octavarium on vinyl yesterday from Flipkart. Everything's brilliant..but side 4 of the vinyl has the label missing! :eek: I've searched all over the internet. Nobody's received this defective piece yet! Why me! :sad: I'm wondering whether to keep it or not :annoyed:

Got Dream Theater's Octavarium on vinyl yesterday from Flipkart. Everything's brilliant..but side 4 of the vinyl has the label missing! :eek: I've searched all over the internet. Nobody's received this defective piece yet! Why me! :sad: I'm wondering whether to keep it or not :annoyed:

Keep it!!! maybe you can sell it as a rarity a few years from now...at an insane price of course :D

I have the snow goose and a couple of other albums on vinyl but not mirage or moonmadness...FOABP is a supremely well recorded album, you are lucky to have got it...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back