What Hi Fi show 2014 is announced

I want to be there but I am nervous due to 1) proper lack of knowledge 2) Products on display are of highest value and 3) Nobody is interested to display a moderately priced equipment and 4) I might plan to buy (in future) something that is way beyond my capacity to afford

Also, I do not consider myself qualified enough to meet the FM gurus. But I will be there. Most probably on Saturday.

I am in a similar dilemma, considering I am a 19 year old just wanting to experience some amazing equipment. If anybody acts rude, I will just move on. There would be a variety of stuff there.:D

Vinay, do not be nervous. The show is there to tempt ears, eyes and, of course, wallets. Any decent salesman should realise that, even if your wallet is not full today, it might be tomorrow, or that your word of mouth may bring somebody else to them.

Look, listen, enjoy --- and if you encounter audio snobbery, just return the contempt and move on to someone more civilised.

As to our forum gurus, they are the last people that you should be nervous of, and the first people who can, and will, help you to know more. I speak from experience!

...and anyway, it is not about knowledge. There is no enjoying-music exam*!

Spot on! I couldn't have said it better myself.

@Thad E Ginathom : Thank you Sir..that was very comforting. Actually I am afraid of myself more than others. I might be attracted to buy something which I did not plan earlier. Also, it is not like I can't spend the money but you know we have other priorities as well. Further, by God's grace my better half is very supportive in this matter so risk is greater.

Think of it as a book fair. You don't go there to necessarily buy, or read. You go there to meet the representatives of publishers. To get an idea what books are available. Which ones interest you. It's about seeing, hearing and learning. Not necessarily buying.

I am in a similar dilemma, considering I am a 19 year old just wanting to experience some amazing equipment. If anybody acts rude, I will just move on. There would be a variety of stuff there.:D

I have met with cold responses too. In such a case just compliment them for being busy and move on :lol:

Vinay: Carry an almost empty wallet and no credit or debit cards ! Don't pick up all the mouth watering glossy brochures either ! It will have after effects at home where your credit cards and PC are !
One rule you must always learn to implement . NEVER buy when you see equipment or get excited by it. Go home and ruminate over it for a week or more till common sense prevails ! It always works. ;)

I'd like to believe that at least 80% of the time a new expensive purchase doesn't do very much more that what the existing system does. Hopefully the old system was purchased after lots of thought ! If you can't live with your system for at least 5 to 7 years without enjoying it , then you made a mistake when you purchased it. All the more reason you need to think 'even more seriously' before' plonking money down 'again' !

Spend as much time ( maybe more !) looking for great music than the time you spend looking for equipment. You'll probably be happier. :)

Last edited:
Vinay: Carry an almost empty wallet and no credit or debit cards ! Don't pick up all the mouth watering glossy brochures either ! It will have after effects at home where your credit cards and PC are !
One rule you must always learn to implement . NEVER buy when you see equipment or get excited by it. Go home and ruminate over it for a week or more till common sense prevails ! It always works. ;)

I'd like to believe that at least 80% of the time a new expensive purchase doesn't do very much more that what the existing system does. Hopefully the old system was purchased after lots of thought ! If you can't live with your system for at least 5 to 7 years without enjoying it , then you made a mistake when you purchased it. All the more reason you need to think 'even more seriously' before' plonking money down 'again' !

Spend as much time ( maybe more !) looking for great music than the time you spend looking for equipment. You'll probably be happier. :)
Mr. Fantastic..Please contribute more in the forum. One can see the experience of you ,wherever you have contributed in the forum.
And if possible please leave the third rock and manage somewhere in the city on it, so that forum members can discuss few things and if possible meet you.
a good knowledge and experience should be distributed and not go in vain.
Sorry mods for being OT.
Cheers
Dheeraj

welcome everyone outside delhi to new delhi hope ya' all enjoy the show & the stay:clapping:
just dial 01122222222 might come in handy;)

Last edited:
2hnakhl.jpg

Professor AJ van den Hul & me.
Before room set up.

Just a pre curser...

............ if possible please leave the third rock and manage somewhere in the city .........

I'm happy that at least some people find some of my posts useful. It takes me time to try and word them properly ! :)
About getting off the third rock.....Ha...ha.... That WILL happen if an Alien comes and picks me up in their flying saucer. Something I look forward to !
I stole that 'location' from the TV serial Third Rock from the Sun.......( planet Earth !). So you are all on the same rock as me ....;)

Yes knowledge must be free. The Open Source drive in the IT industry is one area where it has been implemented. It's good exchanging ideas and experiences across the table but that isn't always possible. The Net does help in many ways. But one can't really write down everything ! Takes too much time and effort . As we get older time is always in short supply !:)

I went to the show and saw some beautifull speakers, AVR, AMPS,

Good event , very nice. Thanks to sid, denop for showing me nice HT

This is typical of any event / happening in Delhi ...... myself too surprised but not much ....

No about last show same thing happened.

also same happened about AV meet ( arranged by coreelement) - some coverage - then abruptly ended

here too ONLY photographic update by Mumbai Member.
]

He ant, I'm sure Ranjeet, Malvai, etc will give us a detailed report, maybe they're at the after parties now:yahoo:

Also we can expect reports from Bhagwan among others:licklips:

I had gone to the show...same equipment with extremely high price tags...exhibitors trying to compete with each other through sky high prices....

Can you imagine the distributor of Accuphase giving me a price of Rs. 5 lakhs for the E-260 integrated amp when just 2 days before a hifi store in HK was offering me the same 220V version brand new for HKD 24,000 i.e. approx. Rs. 2.05 lakhs....

So nothing new to write about except I met Denom form the forum ...seemed like a great chap...

As far as the equipment was concerned, below is my take:

1) Lakozy was showing their expensive big Revel speaker with the expensive NAD Master series amps, DACs and music servers with multi room capability....good but very expensive..
2) Burmester was showing their floor standing speaker, an amplifier with digital music server ..the whole system costing 90 lakhs...good but frightfully expensive...
3) Heard McIntosh 7 channel power amp with Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 floor standers...pretty, sounded good but extremely expensive....the only thing that interested me was a small integrated amp with DAC with the McIntosh VU meters and matching speakers - MXA70 .. the dealer gave a quote of 4.75 lakhs.... nice system to show off but that's it.
4) Amphion speakers - the small bookshelves for Rs. 65,000 had great mids and clarity but lacked bass...but then they were tiny and can be good for extremely small rooms...the floor standers were good but not great value at 2.5 lakhs...the bookshelf speakers impressed me but the Guru Juniors would be a good rival to those...
5) Could not hear Joseph Audio as we were late...will hear them later maybe at Sid Trehan's store..the Tannoy DC10 were brand new out of the box and therefore would be improper for me to comment....
6) Vienna Acoustics Klimt speakers were great and handled the classical piece which we were playing on all systems very well..maybe the best speakers of the show but then again it depends on how they are priced....

I really wanted to hear the Magnepans again but nobody was displaying them and therefore the show was a disappointment for me....

The above is my very brief description of the show and maybe the others can chime in with the technical details....

Gentlemen, I had to give the show a miss. Unexpected family commitments!

This is once in a year opportunity and even harder for me to coincide my schedule with a show here.

This year it mostly fell in place, yet I couldn't. A good opportunity lost here :eek:

I think panditji has the gamut of stereo offerings covered. Well the first thing is that mrp prices are simply too high and a 20% discount to the serious buyer is normal. Apart from these brands Sonodyne was also displaying a few of their just launched products. They had a room dedicated to actives, well to be fair the prices were sky high as a pair of their flagship active were retailing for 4 lakhs pair. They had some others at different price points. The DAC p1 which was for 22k was looking good and sounding nice. They have just launched a newer version of avant which were glossy white and was sounding good at 65k. The same was being powered by a new amp class d 130 watt RMS priced around 35k.

Apart from this we had lots of ht stuff like Auriga auro 3d processor which had 3 layers of sound including a height layer and ceiling layer. This was priced around 15 lacs. Oppo was being showcased by jay multimedia who were offering a 1 year replacement guarantee and a multi region hack for around 61k for the entry level 103d.

Amongst others we had California audio tech speakers, mark Levinson integrated amps, NAD, onkyo, Bose on demo.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back