What Hi Fi show 2014 is announced

He ant, I'm sure Ranjeet, Malvai, etc will give us a detailed report, maybe they're at the after parties now:yahoo:

Also we can expect reports from Bhagwan among others:licklips:

I just flew back - last night - super tired.

I have 187 pics to post.
How do I put them up ?
I cannot use tiny pics - 187 times. too long a process.

The Best of the Show for me - price to performance - was from India - Kolkatta.
I liked this speaker a lot @ Rs. 70/- K

30mmq82.jpg

The Best of the Show for me - Tone - Germany - Elac - Rs. 500/- K [give or take a bit]
[sounded best on Sunday - post 1300 hours]

2llodhx.jpg

The Best of the Show for me - Set Up - Maximized [Limited LF] - Finland - Amphion - Rs 65/- K

2z5n344.jpg

The Most Professional Set Up - Well Executed - Attention to detail - UK & USA - B & W 802D & Jeff Rowland & Rotel & Kimber - Rs. 25/- Lacs [approximate]

2qauu7t.jpg

Will try and write more - in a bit.

Lot to post.

Went to 2 FM house.

Visited S.O.M. Showroom @ MG Road - huge - few pics from there too.

I was @ the Show from Thursday to Sunday - Did not meet many FM's - I wonder why ??

UR in Delhi or NZ ?

I'm in ggn for a bit, heading back to nz in August, then might be back soon again. Also, the meet I arranged wasn't THAT bad, meets aren't about perfect listening sessions, it's about meeting people and getting to see and experience things they wouldn't otherwise.

This one was a hi-if show so just google and I'm sure you'll find coverage in other places.

This for me was the cleanest & most 'balanced' sound @ the show.

213kcqp.jpg

Was satisfied with all things.

Looks / Layout / Hospitality / Sound [most important]

The People from Surat did a great job.

This was a winner for me.

:clapping:

soqwqb.jpg

kckkyq.jpg

Principal - KJ - Absolute Sounds - Surat.

Serious Speaker;
Played with a Denon CD Player & Peach Tree - I liked the product - has a huge potential.
Sounded OK on Friday.
By the time it was Sunday - Amplifier was changed - speakers were moved & the sound improved - a lot.
I liked it a lot.

n6b1xx.jpg

w5jb7.jpg

Any person that is playing in the 5 lac budget game - must consider this speaker on a serious note.

2ptulgi.jpg

I was @ the Show from Thursday to Sunday - Did not meet many FM's - I wonder why ??

About to apologize for my somewhat biased statement , but again Bhagwan's posting proves the same...

also photographs are posted by Bhagwan , respected member and super audio dealer / installer from Mumbai

In fact yesterday Dave was supposed to post but it was too late and there was bandwidth issues....- again from Mumbai

so it again proved Delhi FM were either NOT interested or not interested in sharing - esp with images....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::cool:

also photographs are posted by Bhagwan , respected member and super audio dealer / installer from Mumbai

Sir,
I am sorry, but I did not understand this;
Can you shed some light on this - marked in red - who is the Super Audio Dealer / Installer ??
Bhagwan does not / has never 'dealt' in audio.
What ever I sell, is all mine. 100 % Used by me & only sold after I finish with its use or have moved to a different product.
Audio gear that is owned by me.
I do NOT Trade or DEAL in AUDIO.
Just to put a correction in place.

Meridian DSP 8000
Not @ the Show.
This was in ND - MB Road.
2vv13yo.jpg

Sound & Vision - Principal
bhagwan
Nishant Padhiar - Editor & Chief @ What Hi Fi @ ND SHow - Leela

29fcnev.jpg

:cool:

Again raking up on this point of delhites vs mumbaikers leaves many us think twice about posting

Well the main aim of these shows are to get acquainted with the products and following it up with demos or auditions when one wants to get to know these products in depth or to seriously consider purchasing the same. This is not the place to rate/evaluate the equipment.

Initially when these shows started by AVMAX or Times AV most of the shows were aimed at the end users but with the passage of time and/or rising cost of these equipment most of the dealers are looking out at corporate tie ups and distributorship inquires rather than the retail end user. Like one FM posted in this thread that he is nervous to attend the show.

The detailed advertising campaign was aimed at the corporate sector / d&d inquires. If the people are from the press / high rollers or system integrators /audio installers you can get some good dealer interaction otherwise it is kind of pretty cold.

Further this may be the reasons why the FMs are turning up in smaller nos (well I met around 5-6 FMs from delhi on saturday; I did meet bhagwan but he was too busy so could not introduce myself properly) coupled with the fact that it was 42 degrees that day so no wonder people stayed indoors.

I recall most of the photo people (from delhi) stayed away (as i did neot meet any) therefore you should bear with the less no of images in fact I only clicked only one that of the mark levinson + revel. In fact denom and bhagwan should have more than 250 images between and that too high quality ones. Lets enjoy the images put up by our fms and not drag this into a delhi fms vs mumbai fms. We all belong to the great forum of HFV and should not quibble on regional lines. I enjoyed the show and am waiting for the images by our other esteemed fms.

Last edited:
the meet I arranged wasn't THAT bad,.

If I recall correctly it was a very nice meet put together with quite bit of equipment and with the chance of meeting up so many of our friends it was in fact very good. These meets as you put it down should not be for evaluating all equipment then and there but to get an initial feel and pursue it further of you interested further in the product. In fact these shows and meets are the trailers which may culminate into full feature depending on one's interest.

Panditji, psoonee and I were going through most of the show together. We tested the same music on all the speakers, to hear whether the speakers were getting the following things right:
i) WA Mozart- The Abduction of the Seraglio (Orchestra of St Martin in the Fields, SACD), to test for depth of soundstage (the vocals are in the 2nd row), as well for macrodynamics.
ii) Gordian Knot- Arsis. This opens with a 40 hZ fretless bass note and stays in the lower register for quite long, followed by a quick run to the high A on the 14th fret (220 hZ0, revealing discontinuities in the crossover region.
iii) Tool- Jambi. Bass slam and instrument separation, from among the 2 best recorded hard rock albums ever (the other being Rage Against the Machine's debut).
iv) Keith Jarrett- La Scala. An uncharacteristically dry (i.e. not drenched with reverb) ECM recording. Testing whether the appropriate scale and size of the piano are reproduced, along with microdynamics.

We also heard a lot of the usual audiophile pablum in the rooms, with one notable exception, Lakozy:).
Ill write down whatever I can remember:
1. Amphion- The smaller speakers (4 midrange driver) imaged like crazy and were extreme VFM at 65k. I didnt enjoy the larger ones much, to be honest.
2. Auro 3D- The demo of Bach was quite nice, with height ambience from the cathedral translating very well. Didnt really hear that much difference in movies.
3. Steinway Lyngdorf S Series- I was looking forward to this the most, and it did not disappoint. The most dynamic speaker I have heard, ever. There was this Michael Buble bluray they were playing in which he moves the mic a couple of inches from his mouth, and you could immediately hear the imaging change with pinpoint clarity. Very impressed- I wish I had 30 lakhs to burn.
4. Vienna Accoustics The Kiss- My favourite speaker at the show, despite the godawful setup (misaligned speaker drivers). Excellent imaging, soundstage beyond the speaker boundaries, even respectable bass. Plus they look unbelievable.
5. McIntosh/Sonus Faber- Terrible, terrible room placement, on the short wall. Pricing was also crazily marked up.
6. Burmester- Laughably average speakers, especially at the price point (90 lakhs)- reminded me of the Magico/Devialet disappointment last year. Unfriendly dealer too.
7. Oppo Digital- Finally got to hear the PM-1 headphones that everyone has been raving about. I was streaming low bitrate mp3s using Bluetooth, and was getting some distortion through the HA-1 headphone amp, so wouldnt comment.
8. Lakozy- As always, the nicest guys at the show. Had tons of wonderful music on their server (some of it was mine, from the last time I visited the showroom:)). The best speakers for rock at the show here- Revel Performas
We didnt get to hear the Joseph Audios which werent hooked up, or the Audio Vision room, which I couldnt even find! Saw Burge hanging out- should have asked him.

One more note- pricing seems to be converging to global pricing. The Oppos, Clearaudio turntable, Vienna Acoustics, etc. were close to what one would pay in the US. There were some distributors (who you could easily identify) who were selling only to the super rich, and whose pricing was insane, but on the whole, an excellent sign for the industry.

If I recall correctly it was a very nice meet put together with quite bit of equipment and with the chance of meeting up so many of our friends it was in fact very good. These meets as you put it down should not be for evaluating all equipment then and there but to get an initial feel and pursue it further of you interested further in the product. In fact these shows and meets are the trailers which may culminate into full feature depending on one's interest.

@ Corr @dillihifi & all - nothing about quality or outcome of the show ... this specific comment about post show postings and interaction , which to me I found abruptly ended..

Hemant

I was there on Saturday. I tend to agree with what few FMs have already expressed. Some of the experienced folks may be regulars in such events and would know their way around. People/dealers may recognize them and offer them patient demos. I was there as a novice not knowing anyone.

I went there solely to experience some of the cool and expensive gear that I may not afford currently. It was an opportunity for me to experience things like imaging/soundstage detailing etc. of the systems much better than my modest gear at home. The feelings were mixed and more skewed towards disappointment. Some folks were really professional and courteous in their dealing. But since I didnt know anyone there it was difficult to speak to the experts on the dealer side. E.g. some of the responses I got for questions on the sensitivity and number of drivers in a speaker were disappointing (the guy didnt have a clue and the experts from his side were busy). Baring few, I got a feeling, that they really didnt seem interested in the end users like me.

Sample this : B & W 802: I have heard so much about these and I so wanted to experience them. Though the gentleman was very courteous and professional but he was having issues with the player. I asked him to play anything heavy on vocals /acoustics. I waited for about 10 min and told him explicitly that I am not going to leave unless I hear them properly :) but he eventually played a girly-pop number through his laptop that was not doing any justice to the setup(802 driven via Jeff-Rowland monoblocks). I couldnt wait longer.

Of what I did manage to listen : Listing to Elac was a treat. I loved the depth in the imaging.
Given the small size of Amphion, it was impressive. Couldnt believe that such a small speaker could create such big sound stage with clarity.

my 2c

b53y93.jpg

I was there on Saturday.
Of what I did manage to listen : Listing to Elac was a treat.
I loved the depth in the imaging.
my 2c

Sir,
The B & W Played well;
All the Gear played 'better' on Sunday.
I was listening to the same rooms on all days...
The Elac was re-positioned by me - 2 times.
But, I got it right only on Sunday @ 1300 ++
Changed the Amps et all. It sounded great !!
The Tannoy too sounded better - Sunday afternoon.
I requested the Principal - if I may be permitted & he allowed me to 're-position' the listing chair & distances - it improved 'substantially' [imho]
The CAT Room also was 'tuned' for the last time by me on Sunday & with the drivers breaking in - 2 days [too less - I know] it improved - exponentially;

How I wish you had come on Sunday & visited the rooms - post 1400 - they did sound good / better.

Mr. Jilla had maxed out the Amphions.
What he could manage with the small babies from Finland was 1 step short of 'magic' - really too good.
The Stand was not spiked & the speaker was too low - would have preferred it taller by 6 inches at least.
Better Cables etc. Power Supply improvement etc. would have improved the overall performance by 15 % at least....:clapping:

Sir,
The B & W Played well;
All the Gear played 'better' on Sunday.
I was listening to the same rooms on all days...
The Elac was re-positioned by me - 2 times.
But, I got it right only on Sunday @ 1300 ++
Changed the Amps et all. It sounded great !!
The Tannoy too sounded better - Sunday afternoon.
I requested the Principal - if I may be permitted & he allowed me to 're-position' the listing chair & distances - it improved 'substantially' [imho]
The CAT Room also was 'tuned' for the last time by me on Sunday & with the drivers breaking in - 2 days [too less - I know] it improved - exponentially;

How I wish you had come on Sunday & visited the rooms - post 1400 - they did sound good / better.

Mr. Jilla had maxed out the Amphions.
What he could manage with the small babies from Finland was 1 step short of 'magic' - really too good.
The Stand was not spiked & the speaker was too low - would have preferred it taller by 6 inches at least.
Better Cables etc. Power Supply improvement etc. would have improved the overall performance by 15 % at least....:clapping:
Hi Bhagwan,

Missed you on Friday- would have loved to catch up. About the Amphion tweeter height- wouldn't 6" higher have positioned them higher than head level? I tried getting up and sitting down a couple of times, and found imaging to not be very sensitive to height (not surprising given the waveguide...).
EDIT: Sorry, Saturday.

Last edited:
Hi Bhagwan,

I tried getting up and sitting down a couple of times, and found imaging to not be very sensitive to height (not surprising given the waveguide...).

Yes;
Technically you are right.
The Wave guide will help in more ways that 1 - yet - it the speaker was a bit higher [taller] it may have sounded a bit different.
I cannot say - now - there is no way for me to substantiate my stance.
So, let us move one...
This is a pic of the Mark Levinson & the Revel.
hueveu.jpg

Mr. Yusuf is a 'seasoned' audio dealer & La Kozy & does a very nice job.
Plays nice music too.
azb09w.jpg

:clapping:

I wasn't arguing or anything, just curious as to your thoughts:). I always bow to your superior knowledge- you must have owned more high-end systems than I have heard!

How was the show?
some juicy updates please?:clapping:
thanks in advance:licklips:
vinehs

This was a good show.
Lots of 2 channel.
I wonder why ?
ND is a HT market.
So was happy to encounter so many 2 channel set ups.
I have lots of pics - 185 ++
but I do not know how to post them all at 1 time - this tiny pics is too slow & very painstaking.
If you have a suggestion - do let me know - I will put all the pics up.
:mad:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back