Which 5.1 Speakers for Marantz NR 1504?

ukjeyaraj

Hi,

Along with Marantz NR1504, I was using JBL satellite speakers + Mission MS-8 for past few months, which I gave it to one of my cousin.

I thought of buying a 5.1 speaker package again for watching movie. Initially I planned a blind buy of BA Soundware XS 5.1. But changed my mind and went for auditioning of speakers.

Audition

In The Shop@Mumbai, they had Paradigm CT100. It sounded real awesome. Watched Some Scenes from Book of Eli. Bass was very good and the surround was really setting up a field across the room. It was quoted somewhere around 64000 (with no discount).

Then I checked some JBL speakers found it to be lacking bass, clarity and everything. Did ask for the price, as I did not like it. However I assume it will be less than 30000.

There was ELAC 5.1 package, which was played now. It was better than JBL, however was behind Paradigm in terms of overall performance. Price for this ELAC package was around the same of Paradigm CT100.

Then moved on to another setup with QAcoustics 7000i. This was sounding better than Paradigm CT100, but not too much of difference. This was quoted around 96000.

Yet to Audition

Tried to demo following speakers, but could not find in Mumbai Western Suburb

1) Wharfedale Movie Star 65+
2) Wharfedale MS-100
3) Wharfedale DX1

Also attempted to get a demo for Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1

In proper audio shop could not find it.
In reliance digital demo guy told he can play mp3 from his mobile and can bring out surround effect for demo. Also all speakers were kept with one square feet.
In Alfa@Irla same was available, but those who visited Alfa will not how meaningless it will be to have a demo at Alfa, even if they wish to give one.

Few Questions

I would like to know the following

1) Where can I have proper demo of BA SW XS 5.1?
2) Is BA S 5.1 better than BA XS 5.1 - BA S 5.1 is avaialble for 32500?
3) Where can I get demo of Wharf 5.1 packages mentioned above?
4) Price of BA XS 5.1 is one third of Paradigm CT100, is performance also one third of Paradigm CT100. Have anyone heard one to one?
5) If it is decided to seriously consider Paradigm CT100, which are the other speakers in that range(i.e., 60000).

I have not specified any budget, as I wanted to first understand the availability at different price point.

I am looking for only satellite like small speakers and not planning to have BS and FS based 5.1 package as of now.

Hi, I am also hunting for a good HT system and came across NR1504 as per feedback from various members. Could you tell me how where you bought your AVR from and how do you power it up? From the spec I see that it works on 120Volt/60Hz.

I bought Marantz NR1504 through a friend travelling from Malaysia. Its a nice sounding AVR. Initially I had some problem in connecting my HTPC with this AVR. However it turned to be compatibility issue with VGA card, which got solved once I added a graphic card.

As told, in the beginning I was using this AVR with JBL(satellites and center of 140CS-BK) + Mission MS-8. One of my cousin showed interest on the speakers, so I gave him the same.

I am currently using my Wharf 10.1 as time-gap arrangement with this AVR. I am using this AVR along with HTPC, DTH, XBOX 360. I am pretty happy with its performance and capabilities.

Thanks for your response Jeyaraj. I guess you directly power your AVR in to AC mains (i.e. 220Volt/60Hz). If this it true then probably Marantz has two different versions one for US market and one for rest of the market. I was thinking of buying it from US as it will cost 15K less there but doesn't look like it is possible.

same to me,thinking of buying it from US as it will cost 15K less there but doesn't look like it is possible.
cLryku

Hi ukjeyaraj,

Congrats..wise choice to ourchase the BA soundware XS 5.1...am using them for more than a year now and the SQ is awesome for movies / music / gaming

All the best....tweak the settings as much as you can to get the best sound!

Hi All,

My requirements are
1. Very good sound quality (crystal clear). (High Watt not require. 40-50W is ok)
2. 5.1 surrounding sound for movies
3. 60% : 40% for Music : Movies
4. Listen mostly soft music
5. 8 ohms speakers
6. Budget or economy solution requires.

I havs shortlisted following systems, please give me your valuable suggestions and more importantly thier respective prices. SO I can finalize my budget.

1. Marantz NR1504 AVR + Boston Acoustics XS5.1
2. Marantz NR1504 AVR + Denon SYS-5.1 Speaker
3. Marantz NR1504 AVR+ Pioneer SP-3335TT-5.1 Speaker
4. Denon AVR-X500 + Denon SYS 5.1

I want to spend ~50k INR for this systems. Are they good options or need to change something? Also let me know current prices(negotiation rates).

Thanks in advance
Manas Ghosh
Kolkata, India

Purchased BA Soundware XS 5.1 and quiet happy with its performance along with Marantz NR1504.

Hi Jeyraj, How is the performance of your setup (NR1504 + BA XS5.1) when it comes to Music (classical and Rock both) I know this setup is good for movies but how is your experience with Music?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back