Which Plasma - Panasonic 42" 42X50D or Samsung 43E470

rjames123

I am planning to buy a 42" Plasma TV this festival season. Just waiting for some offers.
I am looking for following things :
1. Plasma for sure.
2. No 3D , No Smart as well.
3. Need hassle free and zero maintenance TV for atleast 5 years.
4. Have to support most of the formats through USB.
5. Might go for Hathway HD.
6. Shortlisted 43E470 and 42X50D after going through reviews in this site.

Pros on 43E470 :
1. Bigger screen 43" over 42 "
2. Price . Cheaper by 4 to 5K atleast and suits my budget.
3. I got to Plasma panel is better than ently level Panasonic model

Pros on 42X50D
1. Trusted Plasma panel
2. 3 year warranty

I want to know if Picture Quality of both the models are comparable ? Please suggest. Mostly SD channels, Because I know HD looks good in any TV :)

get 470 under 38k.......many happy members.
but at high end panasonic is better.....
but check yourself in which tv you are liking the picture....

Are you aware of the drawbacks of plasma sets like image Burn in, massive reflections etc, Also no plasma company covers image burn-in under warranty, so do keep these factors in mind before going for plasma sets.

Altough I own a Plasma myself and would vouch for it, but with the given choice I would recommend none as Samsung/LG LCD/LEDs are anytime better then these entry level Plasma. Thats my personal opinion.

X50 is just a placeholder for entry level plasma in panasonic kitty. E470 slightly better. IF you have set your mind on these two only then go with samsung.

I enquired few showrooms last evening and i could not find 43E470 anywhere in Kalyan Nagar. Checked with Girias, Samsung Brand shop, Adhishwar .
Samsung Brand shop said 43E470 is discontinued, Is that true ? Please help

I know drawbacks of plasma, But If i have to purchase good 40" LED to match the clarity of Plasma, i need to pay huge and may be even empty my pocket.

^Yes rjames, that is exactly the problem. Availability issues! And Leds/lcds in the same budget cant just match the picture quality.

In absence of samsung 43E470 , is it worth going for LG 42PA4520 ? I heard it has good resolution Upscaler for SD channels ...

E400 has very much less pixel . Its 480p . And I thought i can avoid 3D to be budget friendly . I was actually planning for 32 inch entry level LED and have stretched my budget to have bigger screen .

Well, i am one of the most early adopters of E470. I reviewed it here than anyone else. You can go for this TV, its a good set and those who say that LCD/LED can match plasma haven't seen plasmas truly. The colors pop-out so well. Believe me, plasmas are best in terms of PQ and E470 is a great pleasure to watch.
PM me if you need any help.

those who say that LCD/LED can match plasma haven't seen plasmas truly.

truly said mate...truly said..I want to add ...they saw..but dont acknowledge...:eek:hyeah:

anyway in absence of 470...490 can be bought.
yes 400 has less pixels but its price is also very low only 33k....even this lowest end model..I checked from almost 180 degree:eek:....no colour change belive me...
best is demoing and deciding.

Last edited:
No for LG, Go for Samsung PS43E400U1R. I have seen it , and I regret that I bought my Sony LCD instead of this one. As everyone says colours of plasma are best.

Guys samsung ps43e400u1r is actually 480p so it is good for watching sd channels but it is no way better for watching 720p content so better go for e470 which is 720p

Between the Samsung E470 and the Panasonic X50, neither of which I have demo'ed yet, here's a features comparison (I have tried to rely on decent sources, but please do feel free to disagree especially if you have hands-on experience):

The E470 has no analog audio out (RCA) or computer speaker out (3.5 mm) - a problem if you want to connect computer speakers or other active speakers instead of an HT. The E490, however, has a headphone jack (so does last years' D450, FWIW).

The E470 and E490 do not have a JUST/linear stretch mode, so SD news channels will appear distorted when stretched (a lot of people are accustomed to this on older LCDs, so if it isn't a problem for you it doesn't matter..)

The E470/E490 can be quite fussy about accepting a USB hard drive - a few work, many don't.

OTOH, the Panny has analog and headphone outs, has JUST mode, seems to accept most USB hard drives but -

doesn't have any sort of anti-reflective or anti-ambient light filter, unlike the Real Black on the E470/E490 (this doesn't mean that the Sammy is matte like an LCD, just that reflections and washing-out of blacks in daytime conditions should be less of a problem than the Panny)

the XT50 has a tested max brightness of about 55 cd / sq m unlike the E470 which is tested at over 100 cd /sq m - however, based on subjective opinions of forum members, brightness is not a problem with the XT50 (at least for 2D viewing). The same should hold true for the X50 as well.

The Panasonics are a few thousand more expensive than the Samsungs, apparently.

In general though, both seem to be very good TV's!

@theblues:
No headphone jack in E490. Its a audio out.

E470: No audio out, No headphone jack
E490: One audio out, No headphone jack

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back