Which Split AC...?

Which Split AC....?

• Total voters

rana_kirti

Hello people,

the heat's picking up. and my old ACs are begging me to retire them coz they won't be able to take the onslaught of the sun's fury no more....:sos:

i'm looking at Split ACs from 3 brands... Hitachi, Daikin & General. If you own/ have owned any of these 3 brands then do share your experiences with the same. I'm looking at trouble free operation and excellent customer support.

Which one should i get... ?

Cheers & enjoy the Summers...!

Rana

From these three, i'd pick hitachi.
among the dealers in our area, i got the best price on hitachi 2T of arnd 42k incl installation and stab.

i eventually went for onida 2 ton for 26k

I have a 1.5T Hitachi split in my bedroom. 4th year and no problems so far and very happy with the unit. Now they have newer models with sleek looks .
I like one feature in this unit called Kaimeen. which gradually increases the temperature and avoids the chill effect and saves electricity bill too. You start the night with 24C and the temperature goes up by one degree by every 1 hr 2hrs ( which can be set) .

I didn't like the display in the unit which is too small. Also , the AC is generally quiet , but when the fan swings , it makes some noise.
In Bangalore, the support was not great. They never came for the free service even once. I ended up cleaning the filters myself.

I had some difficulty in getting a spare remote for the unit . It took some bit of escalation and also I had to pay service charge to the agent on top of the mrp, which I found unreasonable.

after further research general is out of the race and now i'm only looking at Daikin and Hitachi.

The Kaimeen technology might be the clinching factor for the hitachi with over all positive reviews across other forums where i ve posted the same question though the majority of people are saying the Daikin beats the Hitachi. So it just might be Daikin though it does not have the Kaimeen equivalent technology.

I'm thinking to go for 3 x 1.5 ton of these higher end ACs for my bedrooms.

And then for the living hall i think i don't need a very fancy AC with overflowing technologies and i guess i can use a more economical and simple AC in there as i need 2 x 1.5 for the living hall.

So amongst the economy models which is the best brand amongst LG, Samsung, Voltas, Bluestar, Onida, Whirlpool, Electrolux etc ? The choice is bewildering...

Thanks

Last edited:
I have a whirlpool 1T in my guest room for last 1year. Happy with the performance . Its 5 star rated model. When I was looking for a budget AC unit, I found that almost all the Korean models had compressors with poor efficiency and were rated 2 or 3 stars. Situation might have changed now.

Regarding service , they did a free service exactly after 1 year, but their motivation was to get me sign up for extended warranty :).

I have O General and Hitachi both installed at my native place home. O General is really good but consumes more power than Hitachi. O General is a saudi brand and why they are expensive because of their compressor and Temp they work. Even at 54 degrees it will chill your room.

Hitachi is silent and saves energy. Compressor is really good. Dont know about daikin. Only saw them working in few offices. But know its a good brand.

I would suggest Hitachi. O General only if you gonna use it roughly and wont do any service and will place the compresser in a place where there is no way of heat going out.

Check Carrier ACs also. I have installed 2 here in my appt. They work good and comparatively cheaper.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Keep away from LG. Crap compressor. Samsung is a little better than LG but still not worth buying. Go for Carrier. They are silent and compressor is really good. With samsung/lg you will be calling the service engg every year to fill gas. In budget ACs nothing can beat Carrier.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

From these three, i'd pick hitachi.
among the dealers in our area, i got the best price on hitachi 2T of arnd 42k incl installation and stab.

i eventually went for onida 2 ton for 26k

jitu,

share with me your decision to go for Onida. what else did you look at and why Onida ? whats the star rating and where did you buy it from ?

m looking at hitachi/daikin for bedroom and maybe Onida for living hall.

thanks

I like one feature in this unit called Kaimeen. which gradually increases the temperature and avoids the chill effect and saves electricity bill too. You start the night with 24C and the temperature goes up by one degree by every 1 hr 2hrs ( which can be set) .
The Carrier window model that I purchased 6 years ago had the same feature. And I suppose nowadays every ac has it, but with different names.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

amongst the lower cost ac's i had considered almost all the brands..

onida had the highest cooling capacity of 7030.

in onida, there are two models in 2T, one is a 2 star and another a 3star.I went with 2 star because it has 35db of working noise compared to 42db of 3star. also, remember this is for the dedicated ht, so its not going to be on for everyday all the time. hence 1 star lesser was not a problem.

i felt comfortable going with onida because the reviews in our very hfv forum were very favourable towards it. if i had the budget, i would have ofcourse chose hitachi.. however 'with constrained budget, onida looked the best for my needs.

1. i''ve made up my mind on 3 x 1.5 ton Daikin/Hitachi for bedrooms.

2. i went to vijay sales today to check out Onida for my living hall. They have some offers like...

Free Installation + Free Stabalizer on lloyd acs. They have 2 lloyd AC's with 5 star rating for Rs. 27000.

4. Price looks tempting with the 5 stars and free installation + free stabalizer.

Guys... Any feedback on llyod acs ? Are they any good ?

Loyd's - Trouble

Rana,

I think for through out your house, stick to Daikin or Hitachi, because they are too good though expensive, but surely worth it, in the process you can have automatically spare remotes, that is if you are buying the same model and the service can happen in one shot.

On the other hand i think for living room, why settle for a lesser brand, when we have guests at home, they are going to be in this area of the room, if a better brand is installed, then naturally our image value goes up.

To go for Lloyd's a/c, is like inviting trouble, they are nowhere near the market leaders, by which one can assume that maybe their product is not good enough.

V.

To confuse you 'further', but maybe for the better ..... why don't you check on this subject (ACs) in the earlier threads on this Forum ...? Too much of details already taken up .....

I currently have Hitachi, Onida, and Daikin split a/cs. If you have the budget there is nothing as good as Daikin period. The cooling power and the silence of the A/C is astounding. One problem I had was, the outdoor unit had to be placed next to my bedroom window. I initially had the Hitachi split in bedroom, though it was good, the outdoor noise used to creep in past 1 am when everything is silent. After checking out Daikin, I went ahead and moved the Hitachi split to my mom's room and got Daikin installed in my bedroom.

The difference was phenomenal. In fact, one evening my wife forgot to close the window door as the curtains was closed. Only after 2 hrs we realized that window was open when breeze came through. That's the power of silence (both indoor and outdoor, daikin is the only a/c that mentions outdoor noise level and details the research they do to reduce outdoor noise!) from Daikin for you. That I decided only Daikin.

My friend had gone ahead and installed Hitachi splits in 3 bedroom, curse the fate or may be the new a/c quality has dropped, he has been constantly in tussle with customer care of Hitachi with one problem or the other though mine is working good.

Onida is the best VFM a/c along with Whirlpool. I have Onida techno flat in my Living Room and its really good. Techno flat is the only model in Onida which has been there for last 3-4 yrs. It has excellent cooling and no fancy display etc. It will also provide peace of mind as its a proven model and spares later wont be an issue. Don't buy Onida's latest models the availability of spares can be a major issue as they keep changing models every year!

But nothing compares to Daikin! Its pure nirvana...

Hope it helps.

P.S: One problem with Daikin, when you travel it affects your sleep :) Currently I am in pune in my company guest house and the sound of indoor unit of Hitachi is giving me headache. Not that Hitachi's sound is more, but once you are used to Daikin's silence it affects you! So be warned!

Last edited:
To confuse you 'further', but maybe for the better ..... why don't you check on this subject (ACs) in the earlier threads on this Forum ...? Too much of details already taken up .....

thanks i looked though that thread. infact i kind of started this thread without realizing the other one existed... you seem very knowledgeable and well informed about air conditioners & have some interesting comments in there regarding selecting the capacity size "slightly smaller than required"...

Post no 6 and 91.

http://www.hifivision.com/general-lounge/9309-1-tonne-split-airconditioner-need-suggestions.html

http://www.hifivision.com/general-lounge/9309-1-tonne-split-airconditioner-need-suggestions-10.html

i was going though another forum where a gentleman recommends going with "slightly larger than required size"...

post no 1608

Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ? - Page 108 - Team-BHP

Reading yours and the other gentleman's comments has left me confused. Both the theories seem to contradict each other. Could you comment on above.

Thanks

Last edited:
Kirti: I also was so confused with this lesser vs larger. Even experts seem to be divided on this. But none suggested larger for me. I suggest you stick to optimum size based on your need based room placement, number of people, windows etc.

"It is better to go with a slightly larger machine than one sitting on the border. The compressor will achieve the set temperature quicker and will see lesser on off cycles and that loads the system lesser resulting in longer life".

If one reaches the set temperature faster, won't it see an on-off cycle faster ..?
I think this gent has made a 'diction' mistake !

guys i've decided to go daikin E series 3 star / whirlpool for living hall.

for bedrooms its gonna be daikin G series vs. Inverter series.

I've done a bit of reading/research and it seems the Inverter is further more economical in electrical savings than the G series ( though the initial buying cost is higher ). I dont intend to be spoon-fed but i'll be brutally honest... i'm really bad with numbers.

i'd like to roughly know a few things...

1. how many months in a year do we need the AC to work in Delhi ?

2. what might be an average difference in electricity bill say for roughly per month between a G series vs. Inverter Series if the AC was run for about 10 hrs a day ?

thanks

I dont have the numbers, I had the same question. After a lot of discussion and number crunching it came out, for bedroom you are good with G series. That gives the best value. Inverter will prove more effective is usage is like 18 hrs a day for 6 months kinds. Basically continuous running is where the inverter model offsets the price difference.

if you have the money go for it, else G Series is the best bang for money given your usage.

Here is a nice calculator to compare saving btw 1 to 5 star
http://www.saveenergy.co.in/20-module-positions-mainmenu-44.php

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back