Which Split AC...?

Which Split AC....?

• Total voters
I have two split (Onida and LG) and one window (Whirlpool) AC in my three bedrooms. The window AC needs replacement now. I have decided Daikin brand. The best price I got for G series 1.5 T model is 32k and for 1.5 T inverter model is 38k. I may go for G series because my usage is max 8-9 hrs a day and may be for 4-5 months a year. The additional expenditure of 6k does not get paid back in economic period based on the above usage.

Regarding my two splits, I think Onida is VFM AC without any trouble. LG AC is not that good, the outer unit makes high noise and within only 2 years usage, its remote had to be replaced once.

So my vote goes to Daikin. They produce overdesigned model to reduce the servicing requirement, as most of their sale is in commercial set-ups, where servicing is generally a part of the purchase. So go for Daikin to get cooling nirvana.

@ Amitnoida

i was quoted 33k for the G and 43k for inverter. Can u give me the name and no. of your dealer...? thanks

Daikin G Series vs. Hitachi Ace Cutout

The poll is showing Daikin as the clear leader with 50% of all votes till now and also has been very highly recommended by all in this thread.

I went to my local dealer in the evening who deals in Daikin and Hitachi amongst other brands. He pretty much has all brands in his showroom.

He had both the Daikin G and Hitachi Ace cut out on display.

So i was speaking to him and he seemed very well informed about various aspects of ACs and very nicely told me about the feature set of the Daikin G and Hitachi Ace cutout. We talked about star ratings, parts being used inside these 2 brands and many other things.

Unlike other salesmen this person knew what he was talking about and impressed me with his knowledge. Here's what he told me...

- hitachi's "Kaimin" is unparalleled.
- hitachi uses a DC fan motor.
- hitachi has Stainless steel plated filter
- hitachi has auto humid control
- hitachi ace cutout consumes less power than the Daikin G series.
- hitachi has more cooling power than Daikin G series.
- hitachi has lots of service centers/franchisees and excellent customer service support.

He said that Daikin does not have enough service centers and does not have good customer support.

The pricing for both the Daikin G and Hitachi Ace cutout is coming to same amount.

I was and still am more keen on Daikin for some reason and He said.... "Sir i'm happy to sell you either as it's up to you which you decide but if you'd like me to make a suggestion then i'd say go for the Hitachi.

I have read some posts that the Hitachi 2010 models were not as good/reliable as their 2009 models.... Is that true..? I wonder what's the status on the 2011 models... ?!?

This has left me totally confused.... :(

Read my post, my friend bought 3 split a/cs 2011 model Hitachi and has been running behind service center. I have seen the build quality of Hitachi and Daikin, all this sales man talk at the end of the day is based on the commission they make, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Seeing your conclusion, my conclusion is the sales guy is just good in crapping and sales talk. Please run away from this idiot, he seems to be a sell Hitachi at any cost and make more commission guy.

So only Hitachi uses DC MOtor? Daikin uses Reluctance DC motor for compressor and DC Motor for Fan. In fact every inverter model of all a/c companies have this and this is the main feature of an inverter model!
New wall inverter type (wall mounted) | Residential | Product | Daikin Industries, Ltd.

Kaimin is a feature, every company has this feature with different name, so technically Kaimin is unparallel bcos no one uses that name, Daikin usesd Night Set mode which does same as Kaimin

Daikin has programmable dry function which helps in humidity removal and you can decide it based on humidity at that time

What about DB level? Daikin is the lowest.

I can go on and on and give you parallel and better

Let me tell one simple idea , google for complaints on Daikin and complaints on Hitchi and see which is less. Don't get too confused, Hitachi is an excellent brand but Daikin is better and just go with it.

As in electronics you can always get a lemon, its just better the brand lower the possibility of a lemon :)

@ Amitnoida

i was quoted 33k for the G and 43k for inverter. Can u give me the name and no. of your dealer...? thanks

@ Rana
I have collected the best price of G series in person from the Shop, whereas the same for Inverter model was collected over telephone. The shop name is 'Hazrat's Vision' at Laxminagar. Telephone no. 42486856/57/58. I had purchased my Panasonic 42V20 plasma also from the same dealer at 60k with a couples watch as scratch card gift. They sell Daikin, Hitachi, OGeneral,Voltas, Onida, Panasonic, Whirlpool, LG, Samsung etc.
Disclaimer: I don't have any commercial relationship with the above shop.

@ MAD BR
what tonnage AC did you settle for ...... don't remember now, think it was 0.8 or 1.1 TR?

What crap do these AC sales guy resort to .... mindboggling ... heh heh ... don't keep any stone unturned to suck the moolah out of the customer's pockets !

Branding helps .... but only to an extent. It gives some amount of peace of mind, thats all. The make and type of the COMPRESSOR is the key. All compressors used in this part of the world are sourced from China, Thailand and Malaysia. Jap manufacturers based at low-cost areas such as Mitsubishi, Hitachi ruling the roost. Hitachi NEVER supplies their best compressors to other OEMS.

But, thing is, most compressors are manufactured in up-to-date plants. So, quality issues are minimal. Only one thing .......... the most important .... AC sizing is a must .... one has to make sure that on-off operation is as low as possible.

A little undersized AC also takes care of de-humidification ... can't explain here .. how? This is NOT an USP. A higher capacity AC .... any make, yes, any .... would screw up the AC operation in 2-3 years max, get you phenomenal power bills, service and part replacement costs.

I do not see any valid reason as to why one should settle for an inverter drive in such small a machine. Bigger machines, fine. One just HAS to make sure that the compressor runs continuous .... thats all.

a sincere thanks to all who have guided me in the right direction.... i've made up my mind to get the Daikin.... :yahoo:

spoke to another dealer and got quote...

G series - 33000
Inverter - 37600

wondering if i should just go for the inverter... The price diff is only 4600. I downloaded the "splits" pdf from the Daikin website and it says that the Inverter type save 30 % power consumption as compared to non-Inverter type.

I wonder whether this comparison is vs. a G series ( 5 Star ) or a E series ( 3 star )

The hitcahi converter is 44000 vs 36500 of the Ace cutout and the difference is large. However since i'm now firmly going with Daikin and the price difference here is only 4600 between Inverter and G series...

it's left me a little confused.....

@Avid: The suggested tonnage was 1.25 for my room with 10X12 with 10 feet height. I settled for 1 ton Daikin G series

@Rana: 4.6k diff if you can afford then you can go for inverter a/c. But given our usage the break even might happen after 5+ years. Since you are buying 3 a/cs I will rather invest that 13k in good stocks and upgrade your audio system. But inverter a/cs have more feature than G series so your decision can also be based on what comforts you want.

the 30% diff either in comparison to 3 star (more likely) or 1 star. Panasonic advertises 50% savings when compared to 1 star a/c

Hi MBR,

We shall need a few A/Cs for our new apartment that we have purchased. The key handover is still to take place, but I like to start the preparations.

The thing is, in the bedrooms they have provided rectangular slots on the walls for Window type A/Cs, only in the living dining area we are planning to install a split unit.

Now, the question is: can I ask my questions in this thread? This thread seems to be only for split units. Should I open a new thread for window type ACs??

Please let me know.

Regards.

so i've decided to go for Daikin Inverter for following reasons...

1. constant cooling with less fluctuations in temperature.
2. savings on electricity bill as i'll be using the ac atleast 15-18 hrs a days for 6 months in a year
3. compressor is always on so less wear and tear and less breakdowns.

I was talking to a dealer and he offered to come home and calculate tonnage requirements.

He gave a break-down of electricity bills of 3 star, 5 star and inverter according to my usage. But interestingly he asked what kind of heater i used for the winters. I told him a bajaj blower heater though i was not very happy with it's performance and that i wish to buy 3 Oiled Filled Heaters for my rooms.

He told me i could go in for the Inverter AC with both Cooling and Heating functions. He said this AC will work for both the seasons and effectively warms up a room during chilly winters of Delhi. He said he was using it in his own house.

:: Welcome to Daikin Air Conditioners India Pvt. Ltd. ::

so i'm here to ask you guys what do you think about this ? The 1.5 Inverter is costing me Rs 38000 and the Inverter with Cooling+Heating is coming to Rs 57000.

Thats a jump of Rs 19000. I was wondering if i go for the only the Inverter Cooling option then i'd still have to spend about Rs 9000-11000 to get a good quality Oiled Filled Heater. Plus i'll have to find a place to keep it in the room.

Whereas with the Inverter with Cooling+Heating i can have the convenience of both cooling and heating in one unit and also save the space and it looks much neater.

But i had a few questions....

1. Anyone using these two in one ACs...? Are they able to comfortably heat up the room during winters...?

2. Does a 9-11 fin Oiled Filled Heater comfortably heat up a 150 sq ft area ? or will the AC with heating facility provide better performance/heating ?

Winters will come every year, year after year and i want to be able to have comfortable temperature for my parents and myself.

Am i better off with a AC + Oiled Filled Heater or with a AC with Cooling/Heating ?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
A heat pump .... A/C with heating & cooling, really makes sense in a place like Delhi.

I possess 3 of them .... a 1.5 TR Friedrich window (room size: 300 sq ft, ground floor) and 2 nos. 1 TR Electrolux splits (room sizes: 165 sq ft each, ground floor). None of them have inverter drives.

The heating function in the heat pump is @ 50% more efficient than the usual oil filled / direct heaters. In other words, you get half the power bills, and the heating is very even, comfortable and 'dry' free.

You do not require an inverter drive for the heat pump .... provided the load is as per suggested earlier.

NB ----- AC retailers DON'T know a shit about heat load calculations. You have been warned !

They would sell you a bigger machine than required .... with an inverter drive ... which would 'definitely' run a bigger machine efficiently, no doubt, but ... with you paying the extra costs ....:p

..... and IF there is a failure in the inverter drive in the future ... the AC becomes a junk .... :eek:hyeah: ... no parts replacement or maybe at the same cost of a brand new AC ... :lol:

BTW, the best inverter drive heat pump is TOSHIBA ... worldwide.

Last edited:
@ avidyarthy

buddy,

i think i'll go for the the AC with Heat pump since you saying it has many benefits over a "Oiled Filled Heater"

If i go Daikin my 2 options are...

1. 410A Inverter Model with Cooling + Heating

and

2. R 22 Regular AC with Cooling + Heating

- I went thorough the specifications of both and the R 22 Regular model is similar in Power Consumption to the E Series 3 Star. You may actually call it a E Series with Heat Pump.

- The Inverter Series offcourse has better "Power Consumption" rating than even the G Series 5 Star.

- Unfortunately there is no Cooling + Heating model in G series.

So essentially i'll either have to get the Regular AC with heat + cool function with the power consumption of the E series 3 star or i can go for the Inverter with heat + cool.

My usage is gonna be pretty high about 12-18 cooling during winters and 10-12 hrs heating during winters.

Keeping that in mind the Inverter seems to be the more cost effective option.

I didn't understand your comment on the "AC becoming junk if the inverter drive fails...."

- Can it not be repaired..? and is the cost of the inverter drive as much as the price of the whole AC ?

Please put some light on this...

Thanks

rana_kirti; I didn't understand your comment on the "AC becoming junk if the inverter drive fails...." - Can it not be repaired..? and is the cost of the inverter drive as much as the price of the whole AC ? Please put some light on this... Thanks[/QUOTE said:
Yes, it is extremely difficult to repair .... generally, throw .... and 'try' to source a new part, IF available. Thats mighty expensive.

But, that should not worry you ........ you 'stink' ( hehe .. smell) of too much of 'disposable' moolah ...! .....:)

Last edited:
it's not about the money.. I'm just trying to make a sensible choice and make sure my parents are comfortable in the extreme weather.

the usage is gonna be for long hours regardless of summers or winters hence i'm considering the Inverter version... though you have given me something to think about...

will have to talk to the dealer about inverter repairs and replacement pricing to where this goes....

1. Any members using a Heat Pump based AC ( Cooling + Heating ) ? What are your experiences ?

2. Do these ACs heat the room much better than say a 9 fin Oiled Filled Heater ?

i'm planning to get the same one in combination with a Inverter 1.5 for my living room.

The FTE50L is the new model replacement for the previous FTE50 and is essentially the same. Its a 3 star and if your usage is going to be less than 8 hrs a day then makes sense to go for it. If more than look at the 5 star FT50G.

try this calculator...

I want to save electricity

Best of luck.

Hi Guys,

Got the Daikin FTE50L installed yesterday at home.An authorized dealer in Adyar called Clima supplied and installed it.They will do the after sale service too.The base price for the machine,Premier stabilizer and installation is 28.5k. The piping costs 550 per mtr.The cooling was fast and there was absolutely no sound from the Daikin.

I would like to record my thanks to our ever helping MBR for steering me to Daikin when i had a talk with him thro phone.:)

cheers,
sri

Hi George,

The room size is 11 by 14'75.Yes i also noted the reasons he was asking us to go for a slightly lower ton than recommended.But i am in Chennai which has high humidity and the room is on the top floor and one window is facing west.So i didn't take a chance and went for the 1.5 ton machine.

cheers,
sri

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back