Which Split AC...?

Which Split AC....?

• Total voters
Dear all members, my strong advice for an AC irrespective of brands i strongly suggest you not bench mark volumetric/ cubic capacity / tonnage advised by dealer or manufacturer, if ur room is 10x10x10 feet ,it's 1000 cubic foot= 1 ton as per sales advicers(this also includes volume of width,depth and height of ur furnitures),in this case pls buy 1.5 tonne , this will cool ur place quick but as well trigger off power consuming outdoor unit, once the preset temprature (16 to 26) is achived, it saves lot of energy resulting good savings on long term, myself having 3 Split AC's in my home, belive me I just spent Rs 300/- on spares + labour charges for the last 2 years, excluding AMC charges. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ srikarkav ...
Absolutely right decision. Your room is on the top floor ... sun's direct radiation energy hitting on to your terrace floor above. This energy seeps inside the room and increases the load.
Yes, humidity is yet another factor. At some places the AC works as a 'water-maker'. Conversion of the water vapours to physical water is a phase change which requires close to 50% of the compressor work ... so, higher cap. AC becomes a requirement.
You might also find during peak summer afternoons in Chennai that even the 1.5 TR machine not performing ... something to do with:
radiation heat (due to terrace location) + sensible heat (dry bulb temp at 40C) + latent heat (relative humidity > 80% or wet bulb temp at @ 38C)

@ ravidharap ...
Totally wrong conclusion.
A 10'x10'x10' can easily do with 0.5 TR, if room location is not an issue. If the same room is on the terrace, a 0.75 TR is sufficient.
Earlier posts on a separate thread has detailed "layman's" explanations.

Good to know you also went with Daikin Sri. Sorry, I was preparing for my US/UK trip so couldnt pick phone call after that... why did you go with 3 star?

You may look at Panasonic as well. I recently bought two of them and they are working flawlessly. The entire unit (both indoor and outdoor) is assembled in malaysia and the compressors are made in japan. The quality/fit and finish is definitely in the same league as the Daikin/Mitsubishi/General at significantly lower prices. They only have a very slight premium over the Korean junk and are much cheaper than the overpriced Hitachi.

If you can't stretch your budget, then Whirlpool is a nice option for not so much money. Far better built than the korean junk.

The install in my case was done by the dealer. I got a technician from Panasonic later who visited my place and took down the details of the air-conditioners. I haven't had a chance to evaluate their service yet since the first service is scheduled after 6 months of use and only 4 months have passed so far.

i have recently install 2 x Daikin Inverter heat and cool Split 1.5 ton ACs in my bedrooms and they work beautifully. Both the rooms are 150+ sq ft and the AC cools the room in about 7-10 mins.

I'd happily recommend Daikin.

An AC is supposed to be bought once in 5-10 yrs. So don't compromise on quality.

AC sizing and NOT the brand is the most important thing ....... read my suggestions in the few AC threads in here and then put forward your queries ........

You are taking a severe short cut ...... believing what you think to be true !!!

READ my earlier posts in two different threads ....... me thinks, if 'certain' parameters are present in your location ..... then, even a 0.75 TR machine is sufficient. Anyway, a 1 TR machine is sufficient for 120 sq.ft room for Kolkata conditions.

It is the power bills .... recurring power bills that you should be worried about ..... why ACs go phuuut, no matter what the brand ..... you have to understand those aspects. So, READ my posts, if you want to take a technical decision and NOT go by uninformed heresay of AC retailers ..... Ultimately, your choice ........

Last edited:
AC sizing and NOT the brand is the most important thing ....... read my suggestions in the few AC threads in here and then put forward your queries ........

Agreed but the brand matters too since the quality of many of the brands is highly suspect. At my parent's place, a 1T Samsung window failed within 4 years. The compressor packed up and even before that, there were quite a few evaporator coil leaks.

Dad got fed up and replaced the samsung with a hitachi quadricool which has been working beautifully with no issues for the last six years. You may discount this as an aberration but there are just way too many stories of failed LG and Samsung aircons to consider them seriously if you have the budget for something better.

@ reignofchaos .....

Maybe a bad Samsung piece ..... can happen to anything I guess, even a Merc, if unlucky.

BTW, you see more Marutis stalled (breakdowns) on the roads as compared to any other make vehicle ... right? But, does that make Maruti of horrendous quality? .... no, why ... because the probability of seeing 'more Marutis stalled' is because 'more Marutis ply' ... thats why ... :cool:

Companies seldom provide service ... after-sales-service. One has to rely more on the retailers for service OR the roadside AC mechanic.

AC in India is predominantly for cooling and cooling ONLY. Settle for a bare simple machine with little or no bells & whistles.

AC sizing is the MOST important ......... seems you still have not gone thru my previous posts in 2 other threads .......... read those threads and clarify your queries ......... I don't see any valid reason as to why to go thru the same exercise with you yet again when all points have been taken up in so much details earlier ......... can't spoon-feed time and again.

Innindia:
avidyarthy has gone over some of the issues that potential buyers keep in mind in some detail,so going through the thread will be at the very least, enlightening. His key point about sizing is to avoid going for a large unit that runs on and off, but instead to go for a right sized unit.

OK. I originally went by the recommended sizing which the vendors do by rule of thumb and without applying their minds-for my rooms it was 1.5T, but based on avidyarthy's suggestion have decided to try out a 1T for a room that is slightly smaller, and then decide if I need a 1.5T unit or if 1T will work for the4 second bedroom.
Right now the weather here in Bangalore is so good that it is airconditioned!

then go for a 1.5 T. Here I am going for 1.5 T for 14*13*10 ft room on 1st floor (with roof on top) & northern & southern windows (I guess 1.5 will be near optimum).

With a roof on top .... 14 x 13 x 10 room ..... 1.5 TR is the minimum you would require .... no two ways about that. Kolkata gets 40 degC and close to 100 RH during the 'bad' periods. Ghamachi (boils) come out :mad:

For after sales service, no doubt, LG is the best ..... but Hitachi would be better still in product quality. Another VFM make is Electrolux ..... they sell quite a bit in Kolkata.

OK choice ....... with an EER (energy efficiency ratio) of 9 perhaps. Hitachi 1.5 TR machine would be in the 9.75 range ........ translates to lesser power consumption for Hitachi due to better compressor for the same load.

But NOTHING beats LG when it comes to service ........ quite similar case as 'Maruti' example.

guys,

After completing the bedrooms now i'm planning to install Split AC in the living hall.

Details:

Living room = 250 sq ft with an opening to kitchen which is 60 sq ft.

I'm on the 4th floor which is also the top most floor with no roof on top.

1. What size of AC will i need for my above conditions ?

Regards,

Rana

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back