WiiM PRO

I was wrong.
Just checked with my friends in US who was one of the early buyers of A6. Initially the Apple Music was not available as APK and he had cast it from his phone. After an update, the Apple Music has been added though as I think it does not have an inbuilt Google Playstore.
In that case it is absolutely bitferfect with no casting.

It is not bit-perfect. As of now only the IOS devices do it right. Apple music on android and macbook, macbook pro, macbook mini and apple TV play at a fixed sample rate.

1. Apple TV - 48kHz
  2. Macbook, macbook pro, macbook mini - Whatever sampling rate is set in the audio midi setup app. One can however install a 3rd party lossless switchter app to automatically change the sampling rate (like what IOS devices iphone and ipads do).
  3. Apple music on android. Now this gets every weird. If you play a song that is on dolby atmos, Apple Music uses a fixed sampling rate of 48 kHz. For 192kHz and above, it resamples audio to 384 kHz. For 44.1 kHz CD quality music, the music is resampled to 48 kHz.
Figure 1a and 1B while playing dolby atmos

1a - The media shows dolby atmos in the media being played
1700371608297.png

2a. DAC shows that apple music is playing at 48kHz sampling rate when playing atmos content
1700371744096.png

Figure 2a. Playing Hi-Res Music with sampling rate 192kHz. Apple music shows that it has picked ALAC 24bit @192kHz sampling rate from the apple server

1700371812227.png.

Figure 2b: The DAC shows that apple music is resampling the audio @384 kHz before sending it to the DAC.
1700371973786.png

Now let us pick a song which Apple has a CD quality encoding. It resamples 44.1kHz songs to 48kHz.
Figure 3a: Playing CD quality music
1700372384584.png

Figure 3b: Apple music resamples 44.1 kHz CD quality music to 48 kHz
1700373050662.png
So it is never bit perfect on android. Tested on Android 13 with the latest official apple music app. So far the only app that does it perfectly on android is the USB Audio Pro (paid app). Apple Music is definitely not using the android audio stack, but it isn't doing it right.

@mbhangui what you are seeing is the android resampler at work- converts everything to 48khz. As a result nothing on android is lossless unless run through something like usb audio pro. Devices can avoid this by customising android to bypass the resampler - eversolo and fiio do this for their android installs

@mbhangui what you are seeing is the android resampler at work- converts everything to 48khz. As a result nothing on android is lossless unless run through something like usb audio pro. Devices can avoid this by customising android to bypass the resampler - eversolo and fiio do this for their android installs
The apple music app is not using the android resampler. It has some logic to play at two fixed rates (48 kHz and 384 kHz). Eversolo uses the official android apple music app. Spotify app, amazon music app uses the android resampler and every song plays at 48 kHz.

The apple music app is not using the android resampler. It has some logic to play at two fixed rates (48 kHz and 384 kHz). Eversolo uses the official android apple music app. Spotify app, amazon music app uses the android resampler and every song plays at 48 kHz.
Spotify and Amazon Music don’t have high res. Are you sure the phone isnt resampling higher rates (for eg 192) to 384? I’ve not seen anything about Apple Music on Android bypassing the resampler

It’ll be interesting to do this experiment using an actual Eversolo. If you were in Bangalore, would offer mine. Unfortunately I don’t have a dac which displays sample rate to do the actual experiment on my own

Spotify and Amazon Music don’t have high res. Are you sure the phone isnt resampling higher rates (for eg 192) to 384? I’ve not seen anything about Apple Music on Android bypassing the resampler

It’ll be interesting to do this experiment using an actual Eversolo. If you were in Bangalore, would offer mine. Unfortunately I don’t have a dac which displays sample rate to do the actual experiment on my own
@amrutmhatre90 has done just that. His DAC displays the sampling rate and it is playing at the correct rate.

Android 14 support bit prefect will not require to use usb audio pro. This is based on news, not my personal experience.
Android 14 gains support for lossless audio formats

I have a SnS flex package which allows me to lower down the shipping cost compared to the SnS basic package. One thing I would like to understand is how to remove the invoice methed? Also Amazon has a policy to combine the package of different product into one and ship together in US. I will have to supply the Amazon.com invoice to SnS service, will shipito allow other invoice service if I purchase it from Amazon.com?
Its on Discount now, Just ordered a wiim pro plus for $175, should cost another $100 for shipping and customs approx. (I hope)

Wanted to ask all here..
How would you rate SMSL U1 against wiim pro rather I should say wiim pro plus considering the dac chips are same in smsl and wiim pro plus..

Not considering the wireless connectivity as I have a Google chromecast so for me what matters is the performance of the DAC in this price range..

They took my order but after writing 7-8 emails today they replied they are out of stock in asia warehouse and asked me if i want to get the refund. I said i can wait if you can keep me posted. What should i do.. ask for refund?

Wanted to ask all here..
How would you rate SMSL U1 against wiim pro rather I should say wiim pro plus considering the dac chips are same in smsl and wiim pro plus..

Not considering the wireless connectivity as I have a Google chromecast so for me what matters is the performance of the DAC in this price range..
Anyone..???
I am leaning towards buying the smsl su1 and feed it via chromecast audios digital output..
I am hoping this could work on paper like a wiim pro plus
(please note I only stream my music via apple music premium or Spotify premium or my own flac files over dlna)

Would be grateful for the views
Thanks

Anyone..???
I am leaning towards buying the smsl su1 and feed it via chromecast audios digital output..
I am hoping this could work on paper like a wiim pro plus
(please note I only stream my music via apple music premium or Spotify premium or my own flac files over dlna)

Would be grateful for the views
Thanks
Chromecast audio is inferior to wiim in my opinion. Chromecast also has connection problems at times. But wiim works silky smooth.

Chromecast audio is inferior to wiim in my opinion. Chromecast also has connection problems at times. But wiim works silky smooth.
Well I can say once a while there are connection issues but they are negligible..
If you mean inferior in audio then once smsl su1 will be next in chain it won't matter, I guess,
I just need the chromecast audio for the wifi streaming.. I ll attach it via opyical cable to smsl and hoping this could enhance the audio multifold.. I may be wrong hence asking the learned /experienced guys here

Well I can say once a while there are connection issues but they are negligible..
If you mean inferior in audio then once smsl su1 will be next in chain it won't matter, I guess,
I just need the chromecast audio for the wifi streaming.. I ll attach it via opyical cable to smsl and hoping this could enhance the audio multifold.. I may be wrong hence asking the learned /experienced guys here
I read elsewhere that wiim has better audio quality than Chromecast audio even with external DAC.
Edit: WiiM Mini AirPlay 2 Wireless Hi-Res Audio Streamer Review - There’s A New Sheriff In Town And His Name Is Reggie Hammond • Music For The Masses (audioreviews.org)

They took my order but after writing 7-8 emails today they replied they are out of stock in asia warehouse and asked me if i want to get the refund. I said i can wait if you can keep me posted. What should i do.. ask for refund?
For your own attention & decision sir,

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back