will be going in for Lyrita Audio

Hi Dr Bass

I wanted to give SET a honest shot. I always felt transformers made a huge difference to the SET sound. So thought might go the full way and get the nickel output and interstage transformers. Incidentally Audio Note Level 4 and Level 5 amps use nickel output transformers

Prem, if I knew any Tannoy Prestige owner in Mumbai I really would have made an attempt to listen to your amp with a Tannoy, who knows it may well be the one for me as well;).

The amp came in last night. Switched it on today. It sounds very different from the previous Rethm and Lyrita amp i heard on my system. The previous amps sound smeared and artificial compared to this one. With the new amp everything sounds more relaxed, more lifelike. I do not know how else to describe it

hi prem

Did you have to increase the gain on your tt?

Also is the passive volume control in a separate cabinet?

Do post some pics

Yes Rikhav, i had to increase the gain on the turntable. Earlier the gain was at 12 'o' clock. Now its at 3 'o' clock. Earlier with a pre in the chain and at 12 'o' clock setting on the turntable it used to sound loud at amp volume level of about 10 'o' clock. Now without the pre and only the vol control and at 3 'o' clock setting on the turntable, i have to go upto 1 'o' clock level on my amp vol control to match my earlier level.

The vol control is in a separate box. Viren has already posted pictures on this thread

I would not recommend going direct with just a vol control unless you have enough gain from the source. At present i should be operating at about 8 - 9 v output gain. Normally cd players and phono stages give about 2v output gain. Even if your room is small i feel you will need about 4-5v gain. While it does sound very pure without a pre in the chain, the vol control demands that there be sufficient gain in the system

Yes anm, its really nice. Unlike other upgrades i have had in the past, this one is very different. Quantitatively it may not be doing anything different from my previous tube amps but qualitatively it sounds very different. There appears to be more extension, more details, more information but as Viren mentions everything is embedded into the music.

The amp came in last night. Switched it on today. It sounds very different from the previous Rethm and Lyrita amp i heard on my system. The previous amps sound smeared and artificial compared to this one. With the new amp everything sounds more relaxed, more lifelike. I do not know how else to describe it

Hi Prem,
Congrats on your new amp from Virenji and happy to know that you are enjoying them along with the Rethm's. I was wondering when can i come down to your home for an audition probably some time next month end. Was wondering if i can also carry my new TL bookshelf along which will be ready by then for my comparison and improvement in my design.

Cheers,
Hari.

Hi Hari

Sometime mid august would be perfect. The amp would also have broken in by them. I will come to your place and listen to your new speakers. My amp is just a 3 watter and will not drive your speakers.

Hi Prem,
great to know you are enjoying the new amp. Congrats. The opportunity to experiment with different things makes this hobby so interesting.

Thanks.

Thanks Mahiruha. When looking at other vinyl guys, i feel very left out. Unfortunately there is nothing much i can do with my EMT. The need to experiment is always there. Hence i started looking at amps very seriously

@Dr Bass

I seriously doubt a 3 watter will drive the Tannoys. I guess it would need at least a 10 watter SET or a 15-25 watter push pull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prem,I have heard that your audio setup's sound had a really musical, flowing feel to it. With the new amp, that seems to have increased significantly!
Your gut instinct paid off in the end.

And also shows how much potential Virenji's products have!

Prem, congratulations !! Not only because you have a great amp with you but also because you took up an experimental step and it has worked out so well:clapping:. You have the knack of selecting right equipments and making them all work together;)

Hi Dr Bass

I seriously doubt a 3 watter will drive the Tannoys. I guess it would need at least a 10 watter SET or a 15-25 watter push pull.

I too doubt but may be a 10 watt SET around more powerful tubes could be done. Do you know about this transformer called "Silk" from Thailand ? They are supposedly cheaper and yet of very high quality. Not sure if it can match Dave Slagle though.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back