will be going in for Lyrita Audio

Congrats Prem, would like to listen when I am in Mumbai next.

I too have requested Virenji to build a DHT Pre and 2A3 Power Amp for my Altecs.

Also, have you tried the 45 tubes with your system? I really like the sound when I tried them in my system - all round performers the 45s are.

Hi,

I too doubt but may be a 10 watt SET around more powerful tubes could be done. Do you know about this transformer called "Silk" from Thailand ? They are supposedly cheaper and yet of very high quality. Not sure if it can match Dave Slagle though.

Dr.Bass, the Silk transformers are reputedly very good.

If I am not mistaken one of our forum members AKS07(Ashok) the tube guru of our forum has used Silk transformers in one of his DIY amps.You could PM him for his feedback.Ashok has used other Transformers like Lundhal,Hashimoto(in a 300B amp) and some custom made Korean transformers in his amps.He would be the best person to give feed back on the various transformers

You might find this link interesting.

European Triode Festival - ETF2009 Shootout

http://forums.melaudia.net/attachment.php?aid=1228

I would go with the GM70 SET amp for the Tannoy's. I like the sound of the GM 70 over that of the 845.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Dr Bass

Dave Slagle also makes 49% nickel output transformers which can handle 10 watts or above. Maybe you could write to him and check. I also feel the GM 70 will work well. But pl remember that as you go for higher power in SET the tube noise also increases. I have used a Dehavilland 845 SET and its not as quiet as a 2A3 amp.

@santhosh, i have not tried the 45s in my system. Maybe if i can borrow and listen to the 45s will do that. Rajiv might come down to Mumbai one of these days. If he does will ask to him to get a pair if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your acquisition Prem. Hope they serve you well.

as you go for higher power in SET the tube noise also increases. I have used a Dehavilland 845 SET and its not as quiet as a 2A3 amp.

Thank you for the information Prem, that is very interesting. Is this applicable to SET only or for push pull also?

Hi Hari

Sometime mid august would be perfect. The amp would also have broken in by them. I will come to your place and listen to your new speakers. My amp is just a 3 watter and will not drive your speakers.

Thanks for your consideration for auditioning my TL bookshelves. Will let you know once completed for you to plan visit.

No Santhosh, i have not tried the 45s in my system. Maybe if i can borrow and listen to the 45s will do that. Rajiv might come down to Mumbai one of these days. If he does will ask to him to get a pair if possible.

The 45s are quite detailed and very balanced across the frequency spectrum. From what I have heard in 3 different systems, it gives you better extension in HF and LF also compared to the 2A3s. The 2A3s are a different sound - fantastic mids that works great for some genres. I would not give up one for the other. Definitely give it a try, you have the tube expert visiting you :).

Thanks Santhosh. With the nickel output transformer, there is sufficient extension. The nickel output transformers at 3w operate at 5hz to 50 khz at + or - 1 db.

Will try the 45s and let you know.

When i heard the 45s and the 2A3s at Rajivs place, although the 45s had more extension, the 2A3s sounded fuller and more musical.

I always look for a balanced sound. I am ok if the range is only say 60Hz to 15 khz as long the sound is balanced. Many times in trying to get extension, the balance goes. This is specially true for cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Santhosh

When i heard the 45s and the 2A3s at Rajivs place, although the 45s had more extension, the 2A3s sounded fuller and more musical.

I always look for a balanced sound. I am ok if the range is only say 60Hz to 15 khz as long the sound is balanced. Many times in trying to get extension, the balance goes. This is specially true for cables.

Also applies to speakers. Many designers try to have that extended FR for the speakers and end up compromising on the mid-bass and higher-mid frequencies that can ruin the sound from a speaker. I always try and design a speaker which is more balanced in its entire FR rather than have that extended response.

Thanks Santhosh. With the nickel output transformer, there is sufficient extension. The nickel output transformers at 3w operate at 5hz to 50 khz at + or - 1 db.

Will try the 45s and let you know.
I have very little experience with tube-rolling and I'd be very interested in learning how the 45s sound in comparison to the 2A3s with the Dave Slagle Trannies :).

The 2A3s have a certain musicality & lushness to voices that I found very difficult to not like. In my system, I found that the 45s had slightly better detail and control over the LFs resulting in faster decays. Just a preference :).

Prem,

In my listening, the 2A3 sounds fuller and more present than the 45 ST tubes. The hugher the tube envelope, the more enveloping the sound is gonna be, pun intended. The 2A3 also has more midrange but does not seem balanced to my ears. But it does have an undeniable room filling presence and a glorious midrange. The 45 globes are fuller than the 45 ST tubes, far more linear and balanced than the 2A3. Santhosh has heard the 45 globes in his system not the smaller sounding 45 ST. The size of the globe envelope does make it a bit more fuller than the ST. Having a preference for the 45 globes, I still wouldn't dispose of my pair of 2A3s. They're a nice different flavour to have now and then.

Regards

I have spent about 5 hrs with my amp. I can confidently say its the best tube amp i have owned or heard extensively. This includes Dehavilland 845, Cary 211, Audiopax Stereo 88, Rethm Gaanam, Audio Note Meishu, Lyrita Audio Stock Model, Cadence VA 1

My present system configuration is

EMT 938 with 929 arm and TSD 15 cartridge with upgraded original EMT step up transformers
Rethm Saadhana speakers
Lyrita Audio 2A3 power amp upgraded with 80% nickel output and interstage transformers and nickel chokes
Dave Slagle autoformer vol control
Rethm Taalam rack
ASI Liveline powercords
ASI Liveline interconnects
Rethm speaker cables
Dedicated power line using ROMEX cryoed in wall power cable
Maestro wall receptacle

I have spent about 5 hrs with my amp. I can confidently say its the best tube amp i have owned or heard extensively. This includes Dehavilland 845, Cary 211, Audiopax Stereo 88, Rethm Gaanam, Audio Note Meishu, Lyrita Audio Stock Model, Cadence VA 1

thats super heavy compliment!! Thanks for leading the way!

if you dont mind, could you share the digits/$'s invested in this pet project...

Hi Jenson

I am not normally given to hyperbole but i genuinely think this amp is quite outstanding. The amp with the autoformer vol control cost me 2.3 lakhs.

Hi Jenson

I am not normally given to hyperbole but i genuinely think this amp is quite outstanding. The amp with the autoformer vol control cost me 2.3 lakhs.

your posts are as straight forward and unbiased as it's humanly possible. glad to know your project worked your way.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back