Wireless router

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

Cost upto about 7000.

Use is only home wifi. Most important requirement is wifi range in the home. With my current router I don’t get wifi signal in the bedroom. So range is primary concern. All the other things are a bonus like usb etc etc.

Any suggestions. Currently using a crappy old Netgear.

Just want to give you a heads up on my situation. I struggled quite bit with one router giving good coverage throughout the required spaces in my house. And I have a pretty good set of routers like Netgear R8000 and Netgear Orbi. Either of them somehow could not provide the bedroom with proper coverage specially with the door closed. So essentially between the two bedrooms and the living room, there's a bit of a dead zone with a single router. So I have this obnoxious solution, where the main Orbi is in the central landing between the bedrooms and the living room and the satellite is in my bedroom leaving the living room a little wanting. In the living room I have a different connection that uses Netgear R8000, which is essentially for wired connection to all my audio visual equipment. So the moral is you might want to ensure that the coverage issue is an old crappy Netgear router and not the walls in your house. So might want to borrow one from someone and test it. Or maybe just get one from Amazon and try it. If it works great otherwise you could always return it. R8000 by the way is a pretty good router.

Cost upto about 7000.

Use is only home wifi. Most important requirement is wifi range in the home. With my current router I don’t get wifi signal in the bedroom. So range is primary concern. All the other things are a bonus like usb etc etc.

Any suggestions. Currently using a crappy old Netgear.

Besides my contacts at Lamington road who would recommend a router which has more antennaes etc....I would look at Tom's Hardware site which recommends and provided realistic reviews around computer hardware.....see this link

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-wifi-routers,review-2498.html

The one for Large Home may work......before purchase, definitely you may find some review videos over Youtube....check

Ok thanks guys my computer guy is getting me a TP-Link router and a extender. If required he will plug it in. Will be done tomorrow. Let’s see how it goes. Thanks.

Great!.....only if it works then purchase it......I use a TP link at home (MTNL line) and it works well....this is at my moms place and I get the signal in the opp bldg. which is minimum 20 feet away ;)

It all depends on where you position the router.......there are ample images of ideal placement available over google images.....

First and foremost try to reposition the router in the centre of the house
That will ensure that signal reaches to its max on each side .
Concrete walls weaken the signal by a lot so even in short of distances in the farthest corner we have connectivity issues

Secondly I would not suggest 5ghz band router. 5gh band has as it is less reach then normal 2.4 GHz network, infact much less signal strength

So what I would recommend is a router with the max amplifier capacity and supporting antennas

I am using the following and I am very much happy with it's performance

Asus N300 RT N14U HP Wireless- 3-in-1 Router/AP/Range Extender (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00KSZYGRU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xVv2AbH3KRVAC

When I purchased a few years back price was RS 7500. It's selling at a.very good price currently

This may sound weird but when I went to Goa in Feb this year to attend my cousins wedding....I put up at a Service apartment which offered free wifi

The router was place inverted on the passage ceiling in the center....the router had 4 antennae whose arms were extended in 4 directions.......all rooms were getting good wifi signal....there were 6 apartments on each floor.....each of these apartments had 2 bedrooms, a hall area...kitchen etc.....wifi signal received ranged between 65% to 100% which was good enough....I checked the signal in all these apartments....

This may sound weird but when I went to Goa in Feb this year to attend my cousins wedding....I put up at a Service apartment which offered free wifi

The router was place inverted on the passage ceiling in the center....the router had 4 antennae whose arms were extended in 4 directions.......all rooms were getting good wifi signal....there were 6 apartments on each floor.....each of these apartments had 2 bedrooms, a hall area...kitchen etc.....wifi signal received ranged between 65% to 100% which was good enough....I checked the signal in all these apartments....

Centre of the area and as top as possible results in most even distribution of signals in typical house like construction

Do not not consider 5ghz. This and 2.4 ghz totally depend on your needs. If you are into downloading stuff, 5ghz is way superior. In fact speeds on 5 are far superior in shorter distances than 2.4 ghz. 2.4 works well and to a degree if you move further away from a the router or a closed door. In fact, in a triple band the 5ghz is even better when you use the third band, which if I remember correctly works on channel 149. There are many articles about this you could read. In fact, one of the criticisms of Orbi is that it uses the faster 5 ghz for backhaul. I would advise you not to get any router that does not have at least dual band.

Dear Celeste,
In Goa I use Tp link and an extender, for 10 of my guest rooms, and it is sufficient. Placing is very important as every building and wall plans are different from each other.
Best regards
Antonio

This is the area of the router. Unfortunately I cannot shift it anywhere else due to the wiring.

Attachments

• IMG-20180420-WA0026.jpg
    IMG-20180420-WA0026.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-20180420-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20180420-WA0025.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-20180420-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20180420-WA0024.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 36
I guess the walls are blocking most of the signals. Well,let's see how it goes.

This is the area of the router. Unfortunately I cannot shift it anywhere else due to the wiring.

Try to place it where the power point is along the corridor. The current positioning is not okay. Also if you can raise it up and stick it to the wall or something else using double sided tape, it would greatly improve the signal strength.

MaSh

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back