With my hurry decisions...Did I waste my money? or Did I waste the extra speakers?

Re: With my hurry decisions...Did I waste my money? or Did I waste the extra speakers

So far so good.... I got a complete 5.1 HT set up within 80K

As a next step I am just thinking to do the following:
1. Remove the AVR alltogether, and
2. Add a HTPC + DAC(if needed) + an assembled 5.1 amplifier to drive my taga speakers.

One thing I am sure ... I can get a much powerful amp than my current AVR. Complete control on bass and treble.

But as far as overall audio quality, I am not sure if it will be an upgrade or down grade. Because I guess bass and treble is not everythig. Proper sound distribution, frequency corrections etc etc etc are also important for a nice audio.
Any suggestions can help me a lot !!!

Regards,
Naveen

Last edited:
Re: With my hurry decisions...Did I waste my money? or Did I waste the extra speakers

Right now the only thing I feel missing with my AVR is lack of complete control on BASS and TREBLE. I fiddled with all the settings available. But I barely notice any drastic difference in bass and treble.

It may not be right to compare...but even cheap and unbranded amps have the knobs to increase and decrease bass and treble...we can see that treble reduced to almost nill on one end... and on the other end..they can go so sharp that we cant really bear.

I am assuming avr's are built with an intention to sound professional rather than being raw.

Your AVR should have bass & treble settings.. Did you mean to say you tried tweaking the bass/treble settings & still not happy with it ?

Once you get the sub, you can set it to 80/100 Hz crossover for all channels.. This will redirect bass from speakers to subwoofer..

So far so good.... I got a complete 5.1 HT set up within 80K

As a next step I am just thinking to do the following:
1. Remove the AVR alltogether, and
2. Add a HTPC + DAC(if needed) + an assembled 5.1 amplifier to drive my taga speakers.

Why would you remove AVR ?

One thing I am sure ... I can get a much powerful amp than my current AVR. Complete control on bass and treble.

Not sure if your AVR has YPAO calibration.. Probably the speaker's are not level matched ?

Yes...i tried changing my existing bass and treble settings in avr. The difference is so minute on both min and max settings... its hardly noticiable what so ever.

My sub should be ready in the next few days. Only after adding it, and after observing the crossover for a couple of days...i will think if i need any further improvement.

Regarding replacing my avr with 5.1 amp, ... my avr is only 100W all channels put together. My taga set is 600W all speakers put together. (That is speaking as per specs) There is a huge gap there...

i personally sense that highs, mids, and lows seem to be relatively diminished than what taga can acutully deliver. (Referring to taga demo videos available online)

Buying a powerful avr is expensive, and 5.1 amp can be built in budget. And im guessing a htpc with good dac + 5.1 amp can give better audio output than my existing avr without big hole in my pocket....
I didn't take a stand on this...im still thinking.
Regards,
Naveen

Last edited:

Regarding replacing my avr with 5.1 amp, ... my avr is only 100W all channels put together. My taga set is 600W all speakers put together. (That is speaking as per specs) There is a huge gap there...

i personally sense that highs, mids, and lows seem to be diminished than what taga can acutully deliver. (Referring to taga demo videos available online)

Buying a powerful avr is expensive, and 5.1 amp can be built in budget.
Regards,
Naveen

Looks like you have summed up the maximum power handling capability of all the speaker and hence 600W.. You don't need that many watts.. All you might need is 50W of power for each channel from your AVR..

Each of your speakers would need to produce 75 ~ 80 dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level) at listening position, which the Taga 606 SE is capable of..

IMO, you don't need a powerful 5.1 amp..

You will need to tweak (level match speaker, crossover) your system for optimum performance..

Yes...i tried changing my existing bass and treble settings in avr. The difference is so minute on both min and max settings... its hardly noticiable what so ever.

My sub should be ready in the next few days. Only after adding it, and after observing the crossover for a couple of days...i will think if i need any further improvement.

i personally sense that highs, mids, and lows seem to be diminished than what taga can acutully deliver. (Referring to taga demo videos available online)

Buying a powerful avr is expensive, and 5.1 amp can be built in budget. And im guessing a htpc with good dac + 5.1 amp can give better audio output than my existing avr without big hole in my pocket....
Regards,
Naveen
If you are having to tweak your bass and treble settings then there is something wrong with your setup. Try to keep the processing to its minimum.

Once your sub arrives, spend a day in trying to find a perfect spot for it. Then Factory reset your receiver and run auto setup if your receiver supports it. If not, do a single point speaker leveling. As said before, with a sub in place and speakers running small, with no bass requirement, the receiver should be able to drive the speakers slightly better. Assuming you are getting an Active sub.

If the sound is still not good with trusted source content, then think about treating your room a bit. Do not compare the sound to the demos on YouTube. That audio is not true. Trust a blueray for videos and if possible an audio CD / genuine flac for audio.

In my opinion getting rid of the receiver is a great thought only on paper and for someone with deep pockets. Practically and for a simple setup, stick to a receiver for all decoding and processing. You have a good setup, spend some time with it, understanding its working and then making adjustments. Leave artificial processing disabled.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elangoas and MaSh...

Thank you very much for the advise. I will not take any further step without trying every possibility with my current set up. (600W is max power handling for taga as per specs)

From all the previous posts in this group, I understood we never use that much power in reality. I am guessing my AVR is pumping somewhere around 25-35W per channel. I am quite happy with it for sure. Just a little more power can really add a WOW feelling.

I am getting a 12inch sub and a mono amp made by Aniket. With that in place, i am sure my whole setup will be much better. It may completely satisfy me for now.

Regarding replacing avr with an amp... I will not do it without studying thoroughly. I will back off if it is not a good idea. This time I will not hurry.

MaSH

Regarding tweaking bass and treble...

In a movie like spectre, or bourne ultimatum the mid range and all the background score is awesome.

The only thing I feel missing here is... lets say a movie like transformers ... I am not getting sharp sounds like metal pieces colliding or glass shattering into pieces, etc. with the intensity I am expecting.

I agree I am doing a big mistake by not providing a good media source. Before I blame and judge my AVR I should work on a good media player. A htpc or a pi or something like that. I will do this along with a good sub.

If I get a good result with an active sub and good media source, I have to apologize to my AVR for insulting it LOL !!!

Regards,
Naveen

Last edited:

Mate I feel your pain,

Instead of trying to kill your time on fixing this AVR, admit it was a lesson,, try to take it to a smaller room with its speakers OR sell it off and then buy a new one this way you will have enough power for the bigger speakers :)

Bro... :lol:I have to ask my wallet if its ok for this :eek:hyeah:

October 2014:

I started with Yamaha YHT 299 in October 2014----34.5k
Simultanously bought an Optoma Projector---------72.5k
--------

December 2016:
Upgraded the satellite speakers of Yamaha retaining the same AVR of YHT 299 with Taga TAV 506 V.2----21K
Bought Taga Sub SW-10-------24.5K
-------------

March 2017-Till Present
Installed YHT 299 with all satellite speakers at brother's house

Purchased Pioneer VSX 1131----45K
Purchased Taga S-100 Surround---19k
Purchased Taga C-100 Center Channel---14K
Purchased another Taga SW-10--24.5K
Replaced Asus Media Player with Q10 pro--15k
--------------
--------------

Bro, you are not alone in 'wasting' money on AV set up. We are all on the same boat. Still the quest for a bigger, better AV continues...and this 'quest' is the charm:eek:hyeah:

Awesome !!! :yahoo:

I am not rich...but my 55"Tv costs around 90k. It is a big budget for me. But I do not regret it. I like it.
My wife doesnt know im pouring this much money for entertainment.

You know where I really feel I wasted money? I spent nearly 60k to build a wooden tv unit just for show purpose. :mad:

Had I came to this forum earlier... I would have used that money in buying a better audio setup :indifferent14: .... this I regret every day :sad:

Last edited:

October 2014:

I started with Yamaha YHT 299 in October 2014----34.5k
Simultanously bought an Optoma Projector---------72.5k
--------

December 2016:
Upgraded the satellite speakers of Yamaha retaining the same AVR of YHT 299 with Taga TAV 506 V.2----21K
Bought Taga Sub SW-10-------24.5K
-------------

March 2017-Till Present
Installed YHT 299 with all satellite speakers at brother's house

Replaced Asus Media Player with Q10 pro--15k
--------------
--------------

Bro, you are not alone in 'wasting' money on AV set up. We are all on the same boat. Still the quest for a bigger, better AV continues...and this 'quest' is the charm:eek:hyeah:

Preciously why I feel, instead of going for Taga 506.V2, I should upgrade Center and then fronts separately. Have shortlisted Taga 506.V2, Mission LX2c/MX2c, and Mission bookshelf fronts. I feel instead of yet another speaker package, this time I should upgrade in steps.

Upgrading in steps is always good. You will end up with a better set up eventually. But at a higher price than taga package for sure.

In my case I didnt show patience to go step by step. I was llike.... I want to enjoy home theater tomorrow itself!!
But still...I do not regret buying taga. Taga surely justifies its price.

Preciously why I feel, instead of going for Taga 506.V2, I should upgrade Center and then fronts separately. Have shortlisted Taga 506.V2, Mission LX2c/MX2c, and Mission bookshelf fronts. I feel instead of yet another speaker package, this time I should upgrade in steps.
Yes you are right. In my case I did not want miss the floorstanders which are doing pretty decent job in my AV set up. The package 506 V2 is very much VFM. Only center channel is spare now, have used its surround speakers as back surround. This center channel will go to Yamaha set up. So it was a calculated move. Going in steps is advisable. I too purchased all my speakers step by step carefully evaluating sound signatures and looking for possibilities to upgrade wherever required.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

VoW.. A full Taga system 5.2.2..:clapping: How is the performance of center & Surrounds ?

Could you share some pics of your set-up?

hey i tried to attach an image... some how it didnt work out. It is asking for a image url. Im not sure how to get it.... il check

Last edited:

Upgrading in steps is always good. You will end up with a better set up eventually. But at a higher price than taga package for sure.

In my case I didnt show patience to go step by step. I was llike.... I want to enjoy home theater tomorrow itself!!
But still...I do not regret buying taga. Taga surely justifies its price.

Upgradation is life long process, so is the learning.

Most important part of experience in your journey is, now you know WHAT NOT TO BUY ; and what kind of system you should be upgrading next. What is your preferred signature sound etc...

As they say " Experience is never free, You can't get experience without sacrificing something"

Awesome !!! :yahoo:

I am not rich...but my 55"Tv costs around 90k. It is a big budget for me. But I do not regret it. I like it.
My wife doesnt know im pouring this much money for entertainment.

You know where I really feel I wasted money? I spent nearly 60k to build a wooden tv unit just for show purpose. :mad:

Had I came to this forum earlier... I would have used that money in buying a better audio setup :indifferent14: .... this I regret every day :sad:

Nothing Wrong Naveen, We all follow same principle, upgrading the systems for better (audio) quality. I started my journey with the same HT (ht196) an year back and now I landed to Marantz. It become regular practice if you are music lover, forget everything and enjoy your new music system.

Regards

VoW.. A full Taga system 5.2.2..:clapping: How is the performance of center & Surrounds ?

Could you share some pics of your set-up?

Taga Surround S-100 is just terrific in terms of sound clarity and surround effect.

Taga Center C-100 is crisp and clear, that is what meant for...for dialogues handling during the movies. Havent tested with Music so far.

Wish I could attach some pics, seems forum has some quota limitations, saying exceeded quota limit. Dont know why, may be the admins will take care of that.:lol:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back