Xiaomi to launch Mi TV Q1 75" on 23rd March - QLED, 192 Zones, 120Hz

Absolutely, I will strongly recommend taking insurance. 3 years @ 8 K is a really good deal. Most of us use insurance as a solution post issue but it should be bought as risk management tool . I have used Extended warranty in the past and very happy. Please go ahead a buy peace of mind for 3 years.
I agree with your point especially for purchasing warranty directly from the manufacturer. However in case of flipkart warranty is it useful? Do they use genuine parts? Do they hire a 3rd party to repair the product? Will we need to pay something in warranty for parts or service? Is it on site or we need to lug the tv to their service center?

Flipkart extended warranty is serviced by Jeeves. Although I haven't used them personally, but I'd advise against it on account of sheer quantum of negative reviews for Jeeves online. Google and see for yourself

Flipkart extended warranty is serviced by Jeeves. Although I haven't used them personally, but I'd advise against it on account of sheer quantum of negative reviews for Jeeves online. Google and see for yourself
I did a Google search and it's full of negative reviews on Jeeves.

It's here! should I open it or wait for the guy from FK to unpack it?

It's going to go on a stand so don't really need any help.

Edit: FK support guys are saying warranty void if you open yourself, wait for our installation person to come. Argh!

Attachments

• PXL_20210508_085146240.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210508_085146240.NIGHT.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
It's here! should I open it or wait for the guy from FK to unpack it?

It's going to go on a stand so don't really need any help.

Edit: FK support guys are saying warranty void if you open yourself, wait for our installation person to come. Argh!
Whoa! That's packed like a tank. Waiting to see post installation pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this from a German review in YouTube and colour gamut coverage seems to be low. He also said the max brightness is only in 600nits range
Edit : Found the article link, read with chrome translate

View attachment 56866

Source :
Watch at 0:38 for brightness, 2:02 for color gamut.
What I can get from the two reviews is:
  • It's contrast ratio is excellent thanks to it's 192 dimming zones which works great and it's has deep inky blacks
  • Color Calibration out of the box is inaccurate and even the various default picture modes can't solve it. So unless you have expensive calibration tools it's hard to get accurate colors from this set.
  • It's plenty bright. The first review you shared showed it's SDR brightness around 600 nits for 100% window which is excellent and it can surely go above 800 nits in HDR for 25% or below window. So nothing to worry here as attested by second review.
  • Color Gamut is confusing or I can say either one of the reviewers messed up big time. Because the first one says it's subpar at 59% DCI-P3 while the second one says it's excellent up with other premium QLED at 97% DCI-P3 coverage.
Thank you for sharing the reviews. It's good that we are getting some reviews and hard numbers which can help in making an informed decision.

I found this from a German review in YouTube and colour gamut coverage seems to be low. He also said the max brightness is only in 600nits range
Edit : Found the article link, read with chrome translate

View attachment 56866

Source :
Watch at 0:38 for brightness, 2:02 for color gamut.
This is very disingenuous. The colour gamut is low because they are using it in PC mode(which means sRGB is going to be displayed) and not HDR mode, so the TV won't show its full colour gamut. The gamut is lower because the white point is incorrect from what I see, with a lot of green bias leading to less red.

No decent panel manufactured in the past 3-4 years would have this bad of colour gamut on full gamut mode, i.e. in HDR displaying BT.2020 colours.

Now coming to brightness, they themselves said they are not measuring HDR brightness, and this is full field brightness and not 10%. 600 nits on SDR over 100% of the screen is extremely bright just so you know. This means that the TV will certainly hit 850-900 nits on a 10% window in HDR.
Here you can see it covers almost 97% DCI-P3, which clearly proves my point to how wrong the testing in the above case was. Testing on PC mode for a TV clearly not meant for it is a recipe for disaster. This will be a horrible TV for connecting to a PC anyway.

BTW, just in case anyone is wondering, this is how the SDR brightness looks for even the brightest TV available right now (QN90A). Even it doesn't cross 700 nits on 100% Window.
1620478577781.png

This is very disingenuous. The colour gamut is low because they are using it in PC mode(which means sRGB is going to be displayed) and not HDR mode, so the TV won't show its full colour gamut. The gamut is lower because the white point is incorrect from what I see, with a lot of green bias leading to less red.

No decent panel manufactured in the past 3-4 years would have this bad of colour gamut on full gamut mode, i.e. in HDR displaying BT.2020 colours.

Now coming to brightness, they themselves said they are not measuring HDR brightness, and this is full field brightness and not 10%. 600 nits on SDR over 100% of the screen is extremely bright just so you know. This means that the TV will certainly hit 850-900 nits on a 10% window in HDR.

Here you can see it covers almost 97% DCI-P3, which clearly proves my point to how wrong the testing in the above case was. Testing on PC mode for a TV clearly not meant for it is a recipe for disaster. This will be a horrible TV for connecting to a PC anyway.
Yes my bad didn't know it was SDR, MODS please delete my first post. I couldn't understand what was written there so I figured it was about colour gamut, after checking out many other French/German/Italian articles it's not like like what I've said in the first post I made but it's definitely way off in stock, it needs calibration according to the reviews I've checked. It covers 93-94% DCI P3

For brightness it seems to average in 700-800nits which is quite good.

This article covers it more deeply

What I can get from the two reviews is:
  • It's contrast ratio is excellent thanks to it's 192 dimming zones which works great and it's has deep inky blacks
  • Color Calibration out of the box is inaccurate and even the various default picture modes can't solve it. So unless you have expensive calibration tools it's hard to get accurate colors from this set.
  • It's plenty bright. The first review you shared showed it's SDR brightness around 600 nits for 100% window which is excellent and it can surely go above 800 nits in HDR for 25% or below window. So nothing to worry here as attested by second review.
  • Color Gamut is confusing or I can say either one of the reviewers messed up big time. Because the first one says it's subpar at 59% DCI-P3 while the second one says it's excellent up with other premium QLED at 97% DCI-P3 coverage.
Thank you for sharing the reviews. It's good that we are getting some reviews and hard numbers which can help in making an informed decision.
The second article is more in lines with what I've read so far, as for out of the box settings it's definitely way off for SDR and needs calibration. Film mode seems to be the recommended option to have it somewhat better in stock settings. For HDR it's great in stock and covers 94% DCI P3 which is again great. Check the article I've uploaded above for more in depth review.

I think there is confusion about 1000nits brightness as per some posts. Please note that this is the peak(maximum) brightness this tv can get. which will occur on a 10% window in some scenes in HDR.so the tv will not be 1000nits all the time.

Same with contrast it can go up to 10000:1 with local dimming enabled. Same with DCI-P3 95%.you will only see it some scenes in HDR.if the original scene is recorded in those colours.

If you wonder where Xiaomi has cut corners, those are likely in panel uniformity, reflection handling, colour accuracy,color volume,motion and upscaling, gradient handling etc.

But these are acceptable specially considering the price of the tv.

The MI Q1 unit I received has a defect, rather a component is missing :oops:. The base mounting mechanism, the threads where one screws in the M6 screws, was missing altogether.

The installation service from MI is not available at my pincode currently due to lockdown. I tweeted to the MI tv product manager and got a super promt response. Waiting for the service team to get back to me now. hopefully tomorrow.

I agree with your point especially for purchasing warranty directly from the manufacturer. However in case of flipkart warranty is it useful? Do they use genuine parts? Do they hire a 3rd party to repair the product? Will we need to pay something in warranty for parts or service? Is it on site or we need to lug the tv to their service center?
Can't comment on Jeeves as I have not used their services but all the EW use Brand/OEM parts only.

Don't try to play content from the smart TV apps, instead, try streaming devices if not then directly connect PC/Laptop via HDMI and test.

Here is the original YT sample -

TV display sample recording-
I played the video and did not find any issue.Here is the link to the sample recording.Video has been played through Firestick 4k.

One question guys.. how long does this take to boot?
If I'm using fire stick, can we disable all the smart features so that it can boot faster..? Basically can we convert this to a dumb tv?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back