Xiaomi to launch Mi TV Q1 75" on 23rd March - QLED, 192 Zones, 120Hz

Can you press the info button on the TV to see what the firestick is actually providing to your TV? Is it actually giving HDR at full resolution and BT.2020 colour? If it's not, something wrong with either the firestick or the TV settings.

They should give the exact same output unless you're playing audio, where the Nvidia Shield can playback TrueHD audio which the firestick 4k can't. Also, I hope you're comparing it to the firestick 4k and not the normal firestick.
I can't find any info button in the TV menu or the remote. Both Firestick and Nvidia are connected to my AVR. Pressing the info button on AVR shows that it is receiving 4k 59Hz signal.

I can't find any info button in the TV menu or the remote. Both Firestick and Nvidia are connected to my AVR. Pressing the info button on AVR shows that it is receiving 4k 59Hz signal.
Long press the MI home button, select picture and see what it shows?

That's not enough information to discern anything, to be honest. If you're seeing different colours from both sets, you need to check if the bit-depth and colour spaces are the same. For an HDR scene, the firestick should be sending BT.2020 colour space to the TV and 10/12-bit colour and so should the Apple TV 4k.

If both are not sending the same information, then there's something wrong with the configuration of the one sending the wrong information.

That's not enough information to discern anything, to be honest. If you're seeing different colours from both sets, you need to check if the bit-depth and colour spaces are the same. For an HDR scene, the firestick should be sending BT.2020 colour space to the TV and 10/12-bit colour and so should the Apple TV 4k.

If both are not sending the same information, then there's something wrong with the configuration of the one sending the wrong information.
Picture setting for both are identical. Both show Dolby Vision Dark.

The difference in PQ is quite drastic for some Netflix shows, it is less but still noticeable for others.

If PQ would be the same across various HW specs then why some companies like Nvidia would even bother using high end processors on thier devices. We could all buy cheap chinese streamers and save money right?. I am not arguing here and am not qualified to say anything on this subject. I am just an end user and curious to know so that I can make a wise decision in future.

Another thing I noticed is that when playing from Firestick, pressing the centre button of the TV's remote does nothing. But with Nvidia it brings up the TV's settings menu including the one for HDMI mode change. Both are connected to the same HDMI port via the AVR.

That menu comes up for Firestick only if CEC is disabled on the TV

Nvidia seem to do something extra on the HDMI interface.

Picture setting for both are identical. Both show Dolby Vision Dark.
I explicitly asked for the colour gamut and bit-depth coming from the device, not the Dolby Vision mode on your TV.
If PQ would be the same across various HW specs then why some companies like Nvidia would even bother using high end processors on thier devices.
  • To support more formats(Dolby Vision profile 7, TrueHD, DTS HDMA),
  • have more features (like upscaling on the shield),
  • more ports and connectivity
  • smoother interface.
  • Gaming (apple arcade, simulators).
The only things that impact PQ is your TV screen and the data in the stream.

It's definitely worth it to get an Apple TV 4k over cheaper sticks as it offers a lot wider feature set. However, PQ is not a reason to choose. This is why no reputed hifi forum even discusses the PQ of a streamer in the review.

If the PQ is different between two streamers, that means one of three things:
  1. One of the streamers doesn't fully support the format (say one streamer is DV while other only does HDR, or one is 4k while other is 1080p).
  2. Something wrong with the settings on your TV/HDMI/streamer.
  3. A bug in the app of one streamer.
A digital stream is just ones and zeroes. Streamers send that ones and zeroes to your TV. Just like digital audio, there's no point in discussing PQ until the conversion from digital to analog happens.
We could all buy cheap chinese streamers and save money right?
Cheap Chinese streamers don't even support as many formats as the firestick. The Mi Box S doesn't support Dolby Vision for example.

I explicitly asked for the colour gamut and bit-depth coming from the device, not the Dolby Vision mode on your TV.

• smoother interface.

It's definitely worth it to get an Apple TV 4k over cheaper sticks as it offers a lot wider feature set. However, PQ is not a reason to choose. This is why no reputed hifi forum even discusses the PQ of a streamer in the review.

1. One of the streamers doesn't fully support the format (say one streamer is DV while other only does HDR, or one is 4k while other is 1080p).
A digital stream is just ones and zeroes. Streamers send that ones and zeroes to your TV. Just like digital audio, there's no point in discussing PQ until the conversion from digital to analog happens.

Cheap Chinese streamers don't even support as many formats as the firestick. The Mi Box S doesn't support Dolby Vision for example.
TV doesn't show color gamut and bit depth of the input stream. But I have tried all possible options under Display menu on the Firestick including Auto mode. It's the 4k version.

TV doesn't show color gamut and bit depth of the input stream. But I have tried all possible options under Display menu on the Firestick including Auto mode. It's the 4k version.
HDR set to Adaptive and resolution forced to 4K. AVR set to passthrough??

You can try the developer menu in firestick 4k.

Go to home, press home + down(not volume down) button for about 10 seconds, then press menu. Now turn on the system X ray and advanced options. Now play something.

It will look something like this (image downscaled massively to fit in the site's ridiculous limits for file sizes). As you can clearly see, firestick 4k is playing this file in Dolby Vision, BT.2020 colour space and outputting to the display at the correct resolution and frame rate.

1627747421582.jpeg

In fact I bought the Firestick first after buying the TV. Buying Nvidia was not even considered. But after looking at the poor PQ I thought Firestick isn't good enough and ended up buying Nvidia.

I always faced poor HDR performance on Firestick with other TVs too. But I never did back to back comparison with Nvidia. So don't know if the problem was with the TV or Firestick.

I do have a 2017 Nvidia connected to a 4k projector and that setup always works well. So I implicitly assumed getting one more Nvidia is the way to go.

Go to home, press home + down(not volume down) button for about 10 seconds, then press menu. Now turn on the system X ray and advanced options. Now play something.

It will look something like this (image downscaled massively to fit in the site's ridiculous limits for file sizes). As you can clearly see, firestick 4k is playing this file in Dolby Vision, BT.2020 colour space and outputting to the display at the correct resolution and frame rate.

View attachment 60448
Couldn't get that working. Will try again

View attachment 60448
never knew abt this menu till today, an alternative way as well

My TV was first installed by Flipkart's Jeeves and second time it was installed by MI ( I shifted this tv to new city) I found Jeeves were better. Mi ones actually scratched my side ( silver coating). This is what they did lol.
How and why would they send you STAFF twice in 2 different cities? Do elaborate.

They can look better than native TV apps as android apps don't handle colour space properly sometimes, but both firestick and shield should send the exact same data.

The files are digital and not analog, so as long as both are setting colour space and HDR correctly, the content should look EXACTLY the same as it's the same content passed to the TV.
I've seen this kinda discrepancy between several diff TVs and sources. wierd.

View attachment 60448
And this I was unfamiliar with :) Saved.

• smoother interface.

Yup, even my Jio Box displays exactly same as native TV app. Zero difference but better motion and upscaling.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back