Xiaomi to launch Mi TV Q1 75" on 23rd March - QLED, 192 Zones, 120Hz

Sub: Defective/Damaged USB port in a out of the box condition TV – MI Q1 75 inch

Sorry for the lengthy explanation but thought of sharing my experience of purchase of this TV from MI. Might be useful for some who are receiving this new TV.

At the outset let me make it clear I like MI phones and have been using these phones for the past 6 years and also have Robot vacuum MOP from MI. No issues in these products. But MI attempting to come up with a disruptive pricing in a niche space of this TV size(75 inch) is a big gamble considering that it is also incidentally ‘ Make in India’ for keeping the price attractive. MI should have been extra careful to ensure quality checks in the whole supply chain. I have experience launching new products from my company in the market and aware of the glaring and sometimes embarrassing mistakes we had done and realized after it were pointed out by customers.

Ordered the TV on MI app on 25th July 2021 and received via Bluedart on the 26th July as posted earlier. Package was in perfect condition and no signs of damage. For some strange reasons which MI should be knowing that the online registration for free installation is not working. The submit button does not activate even after filling all the required data repeatedly. Tried on website – same problem. After several attempts finally could register for installation thru call center and MI still felt there is no problem with the website. Anyway this was not important since the installation is finally going to happen. Strangely the sms confirmation does not reach and understand that it is a problem with some mobile carriers ( mine is Airtel).

Installation persons finally came on 28th after a follow up call to the call center as I do not have any sms or mail confirmation of the installation service.

Package was opened meticulously and then the wall mounting arrangement was fitted on the TV and to the wall and finally just before mounting I had made a check of the HDMI ports direction to plan the HDMI cable routing ( since my dismantled Samsung TV had the ports on the right handside ) as the MI TV had these on the left handside. While taking pictures I had noticed one of the two USB ports pins were damaged and I had brought this to the notice of the young service engineers. They had agreed and were worried if this blame will be put on them for the handling of the unit.

Fortunately I had videographed the unpacking so they ran thru the video and were pretty sure it was handled correctly. Surprisingly there was no visible damage of the plastic around the USB port to indicate physical damage. I requested the service person to make a note in the service form and surprisingly he did not have one. I asked the service how can this defect which has come from factory be registered and tomorrow anyone can blame the customer. I was told that they do not have a physical form and they have only a soft copy which is generated in system. Surprisingly that format has a column for fault & remarks. I requested that they should atleast mention in the fault section or in the remarks that the TV with a damaged USB pin. But to my surprise one of the MI manager which this service person connected informed that the system does not allow this. I was left without any receipt that the TV had been installed nor till date any automated message from MI that your TV has been installed. I ensured to pay the service persons for the cost of the wall mount.

Frustrated immediately made a call to the number mentioned in MI app and registered a damaged product complaint and requested for a replacement of the unit. As per the normal procedure they promised immediate call back within 24hrs by a resolution expert. Knowing that we need to have a complaint number for future reference I asked the call center lady to provide the same as I feared that I may not receive an SMS as mentioned earlier.

Received a call next day and was enquired about the issue and after explanation they promised a resolution within 7 working days ( did not promise anything about replacement- probably they will evaluate and then recommend). Till date waiting patiently and under the hope that MI will replace the TV with a new TV set and does not disappoint a regular customer.

It looked perfectly clear that this motherboard was installed neatly in the factory itself and no one noticed before the unit was packed. I had also checked for the default ‘Quality ok’ sticker but couldn’t find one. If this is true MI might not be doing a thorough check of all the ports during testing before it is packed and despatched. If they could have followed this procedure this damage could have been easily identifiable and could have been rejected by the quality control engineer immediately.

Nevertheless with a hope that this will be replaced I am giving time to MI to replace if not I have to think about the next course of action. Fortunately I have videographed and taken snaps during the installation which will come handy now.

View attachment 60367View attachment 60368View attachment 60369

Note of advise for new purchasers :

• Check all the ports and hardware for any signs of damage even after unpacking
  • Ensure the installation service person comes with a hard copy of the service request form and fills it and handsover a copy to
Sub: Defective/Damaged USB port in a out of the box condition TV – MI Q1 75 inch

Sorry for the lengthy explanation but thought of sharing my experience of purchase of this TV from MI. Might be useful for some who are receiving this new TV.

At the outset let me make it clear I like MI phones and have been using these phones for the past 6 years and also have Robot vacuum MOP from MI. No issues in these products. But MI attempting to come up with a disruptive pricing in a niche space of this TV size(75 inch) is a big gamble considering that it is also incidentally ‘ Make in India’ for keeping the price attractive. MI should have been extra careful to ensure quality checks in the whole supply chain. I have experience launching new products from my company in the market and aware of the glaring and sometimes embarrassing mistakes we had done and realized after it were pointed out by customers.

Ordered the TV on MI app on 25th July 2021 and received via Bluedart on the 26th July as posted earlier. Package was in perfect condition and no signs of damage. For some strange reasons which MI should be knowing that the online registration for free installation is not working. The submit button does not activate even after filling all the required data repeatedly. Tried on website – same problem. After several attempts finally could register for installation thru call center and MI still felt there is no problem with the website. Anyway this was not important since the installation is finally going to happen. Strangely the sms confirmation does not reach and understand that it is a problem with some mobile carriers ( mine is Airtel).

Installation persons finally came on 28th after a follow up call to the call center as I do not have any sms or mail confirmation of the installation service.

Package was opened meticulously and then the wall mounting arrangement was fitted on the TV and to the wall and finally just before mounting I had made a check of the HDMI ports direction to plan the HDMI cable routing ( since my dismantled Samsung TV had the ports on the right handside ) as the MI TV had these on the left handside. While taking pictures I had noticed one of the two USB ports pins were damaged and I had brought this to the notice of the young service engineers. They had agreed and were worried if this blame will be put on them for the handling of the unit.

Fortunately I had videographed the unpacking so they ran thru the video and were pretty sure it was handled correctly. Surprisingly there was no visible damage of the plastic around the USB port to indicate physical damage. I requested the service person to make a note in the service form and surprisingly he did not have one. I asked the service how can this defect which has come from factory be registered and tomorrow anyone can blame the customer. I was told that they do not have a physical form and they have only a soft copy which is generated in system. Surprisingly that format has a column for fault & remarks. I requested that they should atleast mention in the fault section or in the remarks that the TV with a damaged USB pin. But to my surprise one of the MI manager which this service person connected informed that the system does not allow this. I was left without any receipt that the TV had been installed nor till date any automated message from MI that your TV has been installed. I ensured to pay the service persons for the cost of the wall mount.

Frustrated immediately made a call to the number mentioned in MI app and registered a damaged product complaint and requested for a replacement of the unit. As per the normal procedure they promised immediate call back within 24hrs by a resolution expert. Knowing that we need to have a complaint number for future reference I asked the call center lady to provide the same as I feared that I may not receive an SMS as mentioned earlier.

Received a call next day and was enquired about the issue and after explanation they promised a resolution within 7 working days ( did not promise anything about replacement- probably they will evaluate and then recommend). Till date waiting patiently and under the hope that MI will replace the TV with a new TV set and does not disappoint a regular customer.

It looked perfectly clear that this motherboard was installed neatly in the factory itself and no one noticed before the unit was packed. I had also checked for the default ‘Quality ok’ sticker but couldn’t find one. If this is true MI might not be doing a thorough check of all the ports during testing before it is packed and despatched. If they could have followed this procedure this damage could have been easily identifiable and could have been rejected by the quality control engineer immediately.

Nevertheless with a hope that this will be replaced I am giving time to MI to replace if not I have to think about the next course of action. Fortunately I have videographed and taken snaps during the installation which will come handy now.

View attachment 60367View attachment 60368View attachment 60369

Note of advise for new purchasers :

• Check all the ports and hardware for any signs of damage even after unpacking
  • Ensure the installation service person comes with a hard copy of the service request form and fills it and handsover a copy to us.
  • As much as possible take snaps of the installation for your record for future reference.
I will post about the response and resolution of MI on this in future posts.

If anyone has MI product managers contact numbers particularly for this product please pass on in a PM. That would be great help. Would like to interact personally as I am fed up with the automated responses.
Thanks for sharing this. My tv got delivered just a while ago. While I have installation service scheduled from Jeeves through Flipkart, scheduled another one directly from mi websites without any hassles. Received confirmation sms as well on my airtel number. I will follow your advise and thoroughly check everything.

Thanks for sharing this. My tv got delivered just a while ago. While I have installation service scheduled from Jeeves through Flipkart, scheduled another one directly from mi websites without any hassles. Received confirmation sms as well on my airtel number. I will follow your advise and thoroughly check everything.
My TV was first installed by Flipkart's Jeeves and second time it was installed by MI ( I shifted this tv to new city) I found Jeeves were better. Mi ones actually scratched my side ( silver coating). This is what they did lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_184230.jpg
    IMG_20210730_184230.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
good one :) .....because yours was one of the very first batches , could be those first batches be well under their beta program ....all sw updates goes first, gets tested and then if found ok , gets rolled out to others .
Should I be happy or be afraid? You really made me think twice about updating.

Please only get it done through MI.. :)

I got myself a Nvidia Shield Pro. HDR and DV look much better on Q1 with shield compared to Firestick and native TV apps.
They can look better than native TV apps as android apps don't handle colour space properly sometimes, but both firestick and shield should send the exact same data.

The files are digital and not analog, so as long as both are setting colour space and HDR correctly, the content should look EXACTLY the same as it's the same content passed to the TV.

Even I am thinking of buying Apple TV 4K or nvidia shield pro. Bit confused between them. Where u got shield from and how much it costed you.
Even I am thinking about Shield Pro. Its available on Amazon.com for a $313 including shipping and customs.

My only dilemma is that it is 2019 model..however yet strong.

Apple TV, I am not very clear and convinced..

They can look better than native TV apps as android apps don't handle colour space properly sometimes, but both firestick and shield should send the exact same data.

The files are digital and not analog, so as long as both are setting colour space and HDR correctly, the content should look EXACTLY the same as it's the same content passed to the TV.
Nvidia definitely plays much better than Firestick on my TV. With Firestick, HDR and DV look too dark and colors completely washed out. The whole experience gets ruined and makes me stop watching. I have tried all possible picture settings but PQ more or less stays poor.

I am wondering if the problem is with the MTK platform that majority of budget TVs use. Firestick also seem to use MTK platform. But I could be completely wrong here as I am just speculating based on my experience.

Even I am thinking about Shield Pro. Its available on Amazon.com for a $313 including shipping and customs.

My only dilemma is that it is 2019 model..however yet strong.

Apple TV, I am not very clear and convinced..
Most online reviews say Shield is better in many ways except lack of support for HDMI2.1 and 4k 120Hz. Also Apple TV is better for those already locked into Apple's ecosystem.

Nvidia definitely plays much better than Firestick on my TV. With Firestick, HDR and DV look too dark and colors completely washed out. The whole experience gets ruined and makes me stop watching. I have tried all possible picture settings but PQ more or less stays poor.

I am wondering if the problem is with the MTK platform that majority of budget TVs use. Firestick also seem to use MTK platform. But I could be completely wrong here as I am just speculating based on my experience.
Can you press the info button on the TV to see what the firestick is actually providing to your TV? Is it actually giving HDR at full resolution and BT.2020 colour? If it's not, something wrong with either the firestick or the TV settings.

They should give the exact same output unless you're playing audio, where the Nvidia Shield can playback TrueHD audio which the firestick 4k can't. Also, I hope you're comparing it to the firestick 4k and not the normal firestick.

Exactly my thoughts when I saw some india tech reviewers comparing firetvstcik4k and appletv 4k. They were stupidly saying apple plays the same hdr content better and then telling same Dolby surround sound was better and punchier in the apple tv.

I knew then that they blabber without knowledge.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back