Xiaomi to launch Mi TV Q1 75" on 23rd March - QLED, 192 Zones, 120Hz

Component quality has nothing to do with digital audio or video.
Can you elaborate on this?
Component quality has everything to do with delivery of digital and analog audio and video. A lot of TV's (can't comment on the TV being discussed here) have their internal processing hardware built around Rasberry Pi or similar base boards. We know how well that works!
What you are suggesting also means there is no difference in a product using Nichicon or Keltron cap.

Firestick outputs digital audio, and digital audio should sound the same unless some transcode is happening. There will only be a difference if you play HD audio(like Dolby TrueHD) which firestick can't handle. Everything else will be bitstreamed to the AVR.

Netflix/Prime etc only use Dolby Digital Plus, which will be bitstreamed from firestick. You should check if the settings were correct and it was getting bitstreamed or not.

Netflix has ATMOS content that Firestick 4K doesn't support.

TBH FS4K is more of a makeshift arrangement in the entire chain. MI's apps is way better.. TIDAL on MI provides ATMOS music, while FS 4K doesn't. That's a different that MI's app is unstable and buggy.

Shield Pro 2019 doesn't have gigabit port and HDMI 2.1. Apple TV 4k doesn't have Kodi and is better for people who have invested in Apple ecosystem.

So, the current compromise is to use mix of MI TV apps and FS 4k.

BTW, Tidal and Kodi works very well on TV app.

This is a surprise.
I can understand using a Blu Ray player or PS4 over the TV based App.
Better than a shield is a hard sell for me atleast.
The difference I noticed was not by a huge margin between the shield 2017 and the PS4 or the Bluray player. I have sold both the Bluray player, PS4 and very comfortable with shied pro 2019. Firestick for sure was absolutely horrible among all these devices and doesn’t belong in an avr set up

Can you elaborate on this?
Component quality has everything to do with delivery of digital and analog audio and video. A lot of TV's (can't comment on the TV being discussed here) have their internal processing hardware built around Rasberry Pi or similar base boards. We know how well that works!
What you are suggesting also means there is no difference in a product using Nichicon or Keltron cap.
The Nichicon and Keltron caps deal with Analog part of the audio, not digital. Digital audio shouldn't be processed in the first place, but left untouched till it reaches the DAC. That's why hardware doesn't matter.

As long as the software is fine, all digital audio will be the same, i.e. ones and zeroes that are just passed through.

The difference comes after the DAC is involved, i.e. when the audio becomes analog from digital. So if the TV/AVR/soundbar has a terrible DAC, the audio will be terrible even if you fed it the perfect digital signal.

As far as digital audio is concerned, the only handling is done via software and codec. So if something is going wrong, there's a software/codec/firmware issue.

Netflix has ATMOS content that Firestick 4K doesn't support.

TBH FS4K is more of a makeshift arrangement in the entire chain. MI's apps is way better.. TIDAL on MI provides ATMOS music, while FS 4K doesn't. That's a different that MI's app is unstable and buggy.

Shield Pro 2019 doesn't have gigabit port and HDMI 2.1. Apple TV 4k doesn't have Kodi and is better for people who have invested in Apple ecosystem.

So, the current compromise is to use mix of MI TV apps and FS 4k.

BTW, Tidal and Kodi works very well on TV app.
The problem with firestick is with bugs. Netflix with Atmos used to be supported on Firestick last year, then it got broken and now it doesn't.

The hardware absolutely supports Netflix Atmos. I have Netflix rips which play Atmos on Firestick with Plex.

Also I'm unsure about Apple TV 4k HDMI 2.1 promises. So far it can't output more than 4k 60Hz. But despite that it's currently the best streamer in the market if you're fine without TrueHD Atmos.

The Nichicon and Keltron caps deal with Analog part of the audio, not digital.
That was an example I used. Not necessarily pertaining to Audio. It applies in the digital domain for audio and video as well.

If your power rail is not stable, which is what those caps feed, those digital to analog processors (audio and Video) and not going to function reliably. There is a reason why a chip like Mediatek has its place while you have ST, Analog Devices, etc sitting at the top end of the spectrum. If they were all made equal and made no difference, it would have never made a product any different from the rest. A products performance relies on the configuration and quality of components used. To say component quality makes no difference is incorrect.

What has been the status of the Mi TV Q1 75" in the last couple of weeks.
I have been holding off on the purchase due to the issues being reported so far.

Has there been any improvement in the software interface?
I don't see them being able to do too much on the hardware front until next year.

I plan to use an Apple TV as the primary source so may not be really affected.

What has been the status of the Mi TV Q1 75" in the last couple of weeks.
I have been holding off on the purchase due to the issues being reported so far.

Has there been any improvement in the software interface?
I don't see them being able to do too much on the hardware front until next year.

I plan to use an Apple TV as the primary source so may not be really affected.

Both from SW and HW front , dont expect much change. You will be better off with a FS or Apple TV in your case. As @neogen mentioned in earlier post...as long you use this TV as dumb display , you should be happy with other aspects specially with the PQ .

That was an example I used. Not necessarily pertaining to Audio. It applies in the digital domain for audio and video as well.

If your power rail is not stable, which is what those caps feed, those digital to analog processors (audio and Video) and not going to function reliably. There is a reason why a chip like Mediatek has its place while you have ST, Analog Devices, etc sitting at the top end of the spectrum. If they were all made equal and made no difference, it would have never made a product any different from the rest. A products performance relies on the configuration and quality of components used. To say component quality makes no difference is incorrect.
Ah, definitely agree with your there. However, if the component quality is bad but all it's doing is passing through digital audio it won't really matter. If the component quality is bad, it might fail in a few months or shut off at times. However, if it's just spitting out digital audio, it won't matter at all for the quality. In my case, the DAC will be on another device altogether, say a Denon x3700H which will have significantly superior power delivery and VRMs. Since the signal was just 0s and 1s in the previous chain, even trash tier components won't impact the quality (this assumes that the digital audio device doesn't have any passthrough bugs, which is not true for firestick 4k)

Again, I'm not at all recommending the firestick 4k for any kind of AV enthusiasts. The purpose of firestick is to be a cheapo alternative if your TV interface and apps are bad quality. The big problem is that it has loads of bugs in Dolby Vision, Automatic framerate/resolution, high-bitrate content, high-res audio, passthrough issues and so on...

Yeah it will. Firestick does not belong in an avr set up. Dynamics in sound stage is very poor in the firestick. When I tested it in my set up I had to use -10 to -15 db to get the same level of volume that I get in a Bluray player or shield or Ps4 at -25db. Even then it felt compressed. I am sorry to say that firestick is garbage in an avr set up.
Why though? Does the firetvstcik4k decode the bitstream, compresses and downgrades it and then re-encodes it? The avr clearly says it is recieving a bit stream(dd+/Atmos) and not a pcm signal.
I am really curious to know what might be causing a lower audio quality if it is supposed to pass through to the avr untouched?

Why though? Does the firetvstcik4k decodes the bitstream, compresses and downgrades it and then re-encodes it? The avr clearly says it is recieving a bit stream(dd+/Atmos) and not a pcm signal.
I am really curious to know what might be causing a lower audio quality if it is supposed to pass through to the avr untouched?
I really didn’t give much thought and just sold it off after testing. It’s just a bad device for avr. It sounds bad and that’s all I needed to know to get rid of it. Others who have tested it in an avr set up also confirmed the same.Seems like it’s even bad for video based on few fm’s comments. I didn’t test video performance.Even an entry level blu ray player that costs 7-8k can bitstream and play atmos but that doesn’t mean it will sound the same as a oppo blu ray player that costs 1lakh. As an enthusiast and hobbyist that’s all one needs to know. If some one really wants to know in depth on the reason they can just research more and get the details which I have 0 interest.

I really didn’t give much thought and just sold it off after testing. It’s just a bad device for avr. It sounds bad and that’s all I needed to know to get rid of it. Others who have tested it in an avr set up also confirmed the same.Seems like it’s even bad for video based on few fm’s comments. I didn’t test video performance.Even an entry level blu ray player that costs 7-8k can bitstream and play atmos but that doesn’t mean it will sound the same as a oppo blu ray player that costs 1lakh. As an enthusiast and hobbyist that’s all one needs to know. If some one really wants to know in depth on the reason they can just research more and get the details which I have 0 interest.
Knowing the underlying process/tech helps in selection of a device that supports or features that process/tech and doesn't cost a bomb out of all the available options to give the best value for money.
Anyways thank you for the response.

Knowing the underlying process/tech helps in selection of a device that supports or features that process/tech and doesn't cost a bomb out of all the available options to give the best value for money.
Anyways thank you for the response.
When I got the firestick I already had a Sony blu ray player and a PS4. So I really didn’t give that much interest in the firestick as I also had the shield shipped and waiting for delivery at that time. If I had any issue in my avr or subwoofer or any of the gears in my chain I would have taken the interest to know the root cause. For me I had the solution already and also knew the FS is a bad device. So not worth the time for some one like me. Most who are in to HT with good avr set up knows this already. There are two set of people in this hobby. One who purchase, enjoy and share their experience and others who don’t own anything, don’t have any experience and just go on and on arguing for the sake of winning an argument. The technical details are nothing which even a 10 year old can just google and type in forum. Just my opinion.

When I got the firestick I already had a Sony blu ray player and a PS4. So I really didn’t give that much interest in the firestick as I also had the shield shipped and waiting for delivery at that time. If I had any issue in my avr or subwoofer or any of the gears in my chain I would have taken the interest to know the root cause. For me I had the solution already and also knew the FS is a bad device. So not worth the time for some one like me. Most who are in to HT with good avr set up knows this already. There are two set of people in this hobby. One who purchase, enjoy and share their experience and others who don’t own anything, don’t have any experience and just go on and on arguing for the sake of winning an argument. The technical details are nothing which even a 10 year old can just google and type in forum. Just my opinion.
A third set who want to go into the minute details like how the same bitstream audio from the same file source can sound different in the same audio setup. It's something I never thought possible and I have been an home theatre enthusiast since 2002 who has had a dedicated marantz home theatre setup in a seperate room since 2009(upgrading to new techs regularly like Dolby Atmos as and when they become available and affordable)and have helped others setup their home theatres according to their budget. Didn't come here to argue, it was just curiosity.

I'll dig it up, googling does give answers to a lot of things. Thanks.

A third set who want to go into the minute details like how the same bitstream audio from the same file source can sound different in the same audio setup. It's something I never thought possible and I have been an home theatre enthusiast since 2002 who has had a dedicated marantz home theatre setup in a seperate room since 2009(upgrading to new techs regularly like Dolby Atmos as and when they become available and affordable)and have helped others setup their home theatres according to their budget. Didn't come here to argue, it was just curiosity.

I'll dig it up, googling does give answers to a lot of things. Thanks.
No no I am not mentioning you or saying you shouldn’t ask why it’s sounding different. That was a generalised comment. It’s a hobby for sure it’s an individual choice if he wants to get in to the minute details. For me I prefer not to especially for a device like fs when I already had 3 better devices. Look at my other threads and the length I have gone to figure out the issues with bass and the measures I have taken to rectify them. Many fms helped me with their real life experience. You definitely don’t fall into the 2nd category and that is why I am even talking with you and explaining my opinions that’s all. I don’t claim that my opinion is the right choice and others should just accept it. Hope things are clear between you and me. Now when you have a shield, PS4, blu ray player and a firestick which sounds bad in your set up why will you waste time digging in to the tech specs? Just get rid of it. That’s my choice. And if you want to dig deep sure go ahead nothing wrong. Personal choice

Last edited:
No no I am not mentioning you or saying you shouldn’t ask why it’s sounding different. That was a generalised comment. It’s a hobby for sure it’s an individual choice if he wants to get in to the minute details. For me I prefer not to especially for a device like fs when I already had 3 better devices. Look at my other threads and the length I have gone to figure out the issues with bass and the measures I have taken to rectify them. Many fms helped me with their real life experience. You definitely don’t fall into the 2nd category and that is why I am even talking with you and explaining my opinions that’s all. I don’t claim that my opinion is the right choice and others should just accept it. Hope things are clear between you and me. Now when you have shield, PS4, blu ray player and a firestick which sounds bad in your set up why will you waste time digging in to the tech specs? Just get rid of it. That’s my take. And if you want to dig deep sure go ahead nothing wrong. Personal choice
Peace bro ✌️. A post in reddit will getme all the answers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back