Yamaha AVR owners thread

Hi MaSh... good to hear from you after a long time !!!! I will try that procedure too. And also I have to figure out the settings in my laptop to make the center channel work.

Hi MaSh... good to hear from you after a long time !!!! I will try that procedure too. And also I have to figure out the settings in my laptop to make the center channel work.
Ha ha yes, not getting enough time to check the threads. To check center, go to your sound settings in windows and run the sound sweep after selecting the right speaker setup. Also, make sure the source you are using is proven. Use a blu-ray disk for all tests.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Hi Friends,
I have a Yamaha 677 AVR from last 2 years connected with Q acoustics 3020 , 3000 centre and Wharf DFS surrounds. I am facing a peculiar issue. My tatsky HD+ is connected directly to Yamaha via hdmi with dolby digital + in the tatasky settings. And the tatasky provides the DD+ bitstream for HD channels.
Now , every few days the DD+ bitstream gets downgraded to PCM even for HD channels on its own. I can hear the sound clearly degraded from before. All I do to rectify this is to remove the hdmi from tatasky , clean the hdmi terminal and insert it back. I only clean the hdmi plug of the cable, by blowing some air forcefully and nothing else, only at the tatasky end & not the AVR end. And the system again starts transmitting DD+ bitstream or my Yamaha starts accepting DD+ , I cant tell.
I do not have a problem doing this minor chore, but would really like to know what is happening to the hdmi terminal. Is there any carbon build up , dust or anything else I would really like to know from respected members of the forum. BTW , I upgraded to DAC HDMI 2.0 and the issue is continuing in this cable also.
Most likely a misfit hdmi connection. Is the HDMI loose?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

My setup is Yamaha RX-V681 paired to Jamo S606 speakers with bi-amp front. Don't have subwoofer. What crossover settings should I set for each channel.

I am using AVR 677 for last 2 years. Last few days there is wierd problem occuring. The display on AVR started displaying some strange characters then its display was off. However everything worked like volume change program change but no display on AVR. Then one day my wife dusted as usual and bingo display on.
Now after few days again display is off and sometimes its on. I ensured all HDMI connections are firm. No definite pattern appears.
From beginning Samsung BDP, HD set top box are connected. No new hardware software recently.
Can dust or loose connection be problem? Our region is near Mumbai city in India and temperature is warm and no AC is used in living room.
OT. Festival of lights i.e. Diwali is being celebrated here.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

My setup is Yamaha RX-V681 paired to Jamo S606 speakers with bi-amp front. Don't have subwoofer. What crossover settings should I set for each channel.

What is your Biamp setup? The receiver will set your fronts to Full Range/Large if Sub is set to No. Rest of the speakers you can start with 80Hz as a ball park crossover and adjust a step higher or lower as per your preference.

I am using AVR 677 for last 2 years. Last few days there is wierd problem occuring. The display on AVR started displaying some strange characters then its display was off. However everything worked like volume change program change but no display on AVR. Then one day my wife dusted as usual and bingo display on.
Now after few days again display is off and sometimes its on. I ensured all HDMI connections are firm. No definite pattern appears.
From beginning Samsung BDP, HD set top box are connected. No new hardware software recently.
Can dust or loose connection be problem? Our region is near Mumbai city in India and temperature is warm and no AC is used in living room.

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere for sure. Check your speaker cables too, to make sure there is no shorting happening anywhere(remove all speaker wires, tighten the strands and connect). Try disconnecting inputs and checking by running each source for an hour or so. Use an ear bud to clean the HDMI cable and the receiver contacts.

MaSh

Last edited:
What is your Biamp setup? The receiver will set your fronts to Full Range/Large if Sub is set to No. Rest of the speakers you can start with 80Hz as a ball park crossover and adjust a step higher or lower as per your preference.

MaSh
Yes. Fronts are set to full range by default. Kept centre at 100Hz and back at 80Hz. Any recos for a subwoofer to go with 681. Am on tight budget.

Yes. Fronts are set to full range by default. Kept centre at 100Hz and back at 80Hz. Any recos for a subwoofer to go with 681. Am on tight budget.

Yes those cross overs sound right for those channels. Just as an experiment, you could try running your center as Large too and see if you like what you hear.

How old are your speakers? Do you really feel the need for a Sub? If yes, then look at the popular recommendations from other threads. Subs from BIC, Polk, Taga, etc are quite popular on the forum. I personally use a very simple Pioneer sub and very happy with it.

MaSh

Last edited:
How old are your speakers? Do you really feel the need for a Sub? If yes, then look at the popular recommendations from other threads. Subs from BIC, Polk, Taga, etc are quite popular on the forum. I personally use a very simple Pioneer sub and very happy with it.

MaSh
Speakers are 4 years old. In fairly good shape. Haven't had a sub for a year and a half after my last Jamo sub fried for the second time. Don't need it but it's good to have. Thanks for your reply.

Speakers are 4 years old. In fairly good shape. Haven't had a sub for a year and a half after my last Jamo sub fried for the second time. Don't need it but it's good to have. Thanks for your reply.

I understand what you mean:lol:. Look at the Budget options from Polk and Taga. Keep an eye on Olx too. Unfortunately I have not been keeping track of subs lately so dont have the model numbers at hand of the current models.

MaSh

Hi everyone, i have yamaha v483 and wharfedale 220. Now i am looking to buy wharfedale 240 or elac f6, will yamaha v483 be able to power either of the tower speakers along with rear bookshelf or do i need to upgrade my avr?

Hi everyone, i have yamaha v483 and wharfedale 220. Now i am looking to buy wharfedale 240 or elac f6, will yamaha v483 be able to power either of the tower speakers along with rear bookshelf or do i need to upgrade my avr?
If your receiver has pre out, you could consider the option of adding a dedicated amp just for the fronts.

MaSh

Wharfdale 240 is having 4 ohm impedance. Please check if Yamaha AVR can drive 4 ohms speaker continuously, though I doubt.
Power wise the elac f6 shall be driven, though the full potential shall be extracted with a higher power output rated amp/avr.

Wharfdale 240 is having 4 ohm impedance. Please check if Yamaha AVR can drive 4 ohms speaker continuously, though I doubt.
Power wise the elac f6 shall be driven, though the full potential shall be extracted with a higher power output rated amp/avr.

Thanks i didn't saw power raring 4ohm, yamaha 483 say 90 watt at 6 ohms so i think it wont be able to run 240

Ha ha yes, not getting enough time to check the threads. To check center, go to your sound settings in windows and run the sound sweep after selecting the right speaker setup. Also, make sure the source you are using is proven. Use a blu-ray disk for all tests.

MaSh

Hi MaSh... (just want to share an info...) you remember I was always worried that trebles are not up to the mark, and discussed a lot about adding dac, etc or changing avr etc...

After some trails I found out the media source was not good. And recently I discovered a huge improvement in sound quality after shifting my setup to a smaller children's bedroom from my larger hall. Now I am fully happy with my setup yht196 avr+taga tav606se. :yahoo:

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ing-my-ht-setup-bigger-hall-smaller-room.html

You gave me many suggestions earlier.... just taught of sharing this too...
Thanks a lot for all the guidance you gave ... :)

Hi,

My receiver V581 went to protection mode some time back. The main is not powering on and keeps blinking for 10 times and goes off. Any idea how this can be fixed and what causes this issue?

After reading articles online, it says if there is any external power problem the device self protects from any damage.

How to get it work?

Thanks,
Sriram

Hi,

My receiver V581 went to protection mode some time back. The main is not powering on and keeps blinking for 10 times and goes off. Any idea how this can be fixed and what causes this issue? .

How to get it work?

Thanks,
Sriram

Ohh that's sad. Is there any voltage issue in your flat? Usually if there is high voltage, receiver goes into protection. Also check if any speaker wires are touching the receiver body. Did you add any component recently?

MaSh

Ohh that's sad. Is there any voltage issue in your flat? Usually if there is high voltage, receiver goes into protection. Also check if any speaker wires are touching the receiver body. Did you add any component recently?

MaSh

This causes due to excessive load on the amplifier. Resolve by this simple procedure. Check the speakers and set the maximum value to a lower level for future protection.
RX-V475 Factory Reset - RX-V475 - RX-V - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual
Rgds
Vinod

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back