Yamaha AVR owners thread

efernand1 & kalyan, thanks a lot for the help.

Actually all the cabling and speaker setup remained the same. I just replaced Rxv681 with Yht196 avr.

How ever il try all your suggestions with cables. And I haven't checked the inbuilt subout in the avr. Il connect the passive sub directly and check.

If the cables are fine,.... As you said, the soldering in preout could be the issue. Is it safe to open the avr and see??

efernand1 & kalyan, thanks a lot for the help.

Actually all the cabling and speaker setup remained the same. I just replaced Rxv681 with Yht196 avr.

How ever il try all your suggestions with cables. And I haven't checked the inbuilt subout in the avr. Il connect the passive sub directly and check.

If the cables are fine,.... As you said, the soldering in preout could be the issue. Is it safe to open the avr and see??
Why not.
But you should be having knowledge about what is meant by dry soldering and soldering iron handling experience/basic tools.otherwise it might lead damage to the circuit board.
Dry soldering means it might be difficult to identify the exact place ..some time.
Only DIY guys and technical person can identify the issue while visualising by taking out the board.
May be there could be a crack also on the board (worst case) .
Suggestion given based on ...Assuming you are not experienced electronics person on handling multimeter and soldering iron

Atb

Why not.
But you should be having knowledge about what is meant by dry soldering and soldering iron handling experience/basic tools.otherwise it might lead damage to the circuit board.
Dry soldering means it might be difficult to identify the exact place ..some time.
Only DIY guys and technical person can identify the issue while visualising by taking out the board.
May be there could be a crack also on the board (worst case) .
Suggestion given based on ...Assuming you are not experienced electronics person on handling multimeter and soldering iron

Atb
No....I can use a multimeter and soldering iron....but I'm not much experienced. All i can do is... Just open see if something is loose behind preout port ☺️☺️ il get it fixed by professionals....

By the way...just an off topic... After putting back old avr in my setup.... Now i can clearly see how much of a difference a better Avr can do !!!!!
Now i think I should have got an aventage series ☺️☺️☺️

Connected a passive sub to the built in sub terminals (not preout). And there is no sound from sub while playing stereo songs. SW option in settings is ON.

When I check the test tones in avr settings, the sub gives a very very mild sound. Barely audible when you hear it very closely. In the speaker levels, i reduced the L and R channels volume completely, and increased Sum volume to max. Still the sub is barely audible with test tones.

I have to check with different cables with preout yet.

(Just to add... The original passive sub that came in yht196 package is 50w. The one I'm testing now is 125w. )

Last edited:
Hello all... Thanks a lot for all the help.
The cables are the issue. I kept on changing different cables. And finally everything is working. Both inbuilt sub terminals and preout are working.

Thank you very much for the help ☺️☺️☺️☺️

Hello all... Thanks a lot for all the help.
The cables are the issue. I kept on changing different cables. And finally everything is working. Both inbuilt sub terminals and preout are working.

Thank you very much for the help ☺️☺️☺️☺️
Gud .Now you take your multimeter and check the defective cable end to end (select ohmic mode or buzzer mode).First you remove the cable both end and try to learn .Happy learning.
AtB

FM please share your experiences on switch from Denon/Marantz/Onkyo/Pioneer to Yamaha. This will help to Yamaha potential buyers...

Hello everyone!
My RX V661 is dead, took it to 2 authorised service centres in Mumbai, one could not repair the other is asking some 21K for replacing the DSP board, is it worth putting that kinda money (was purchased 10 years ago for about 30K) or should I go for a new one?
Also any recommendations for competent repair guys in Mumbai?
Thanks!
Hi, are we in the same boat? Look likes. Its so disheartening that we cannot play music anymore. I too went around but seems no one can find any fault? And the service centers are asking high servicings cost on parts and repair. All the same did you manage to repair lately?
Do let me know of any follow ups on you repairing journey. If possible do share your no to me in private message. Thanks from antonio

FM please share your experiences on switch from Denon/Marantz/Onkyo/Pioneer to Yamaha. This will help to Yamaha potential buyers...

Yamaha mostly are on brighter n warm sided avrs......the RXV series is good but the Aventage series is exclusive and luxury types..........

My switch was the other way round.....Yamaha / Pioneer / Onkyo / Denon / Bose Lifestyle / Marantz....

Bottom line it all depends on personal choices, connectivity requirements, features, budget and listening preferences.....I am not brand conscious..as long as there is a system which can cater to my immediate requirements and have the wanted features which delivers excellent playback SQ etc....i am satisfied.....it should be money well spent and enjoyed....

Hi, are we in the same boat? Look likes. Its so disheartening that we cannot play music anymore. I too went around but seems no one can find any fault? And the service centers are asking high servicings cost on parts and repair. All the same did you manage to repair lately?
Do let me know of any follow ups on you repairing journey. If possible do share your no to me in private message. Thanks from antonio

Hi Antonio,

I have got a friend who is based in south Goa,,,,near Margao if you want to get something repaired or service. Likewise there is a contact in Mumbai.....PM me if you need the numbers,,,,

Yamaha is very flat sounding AVR,Sound can be describe as little thinner than Denon or Marantz. Yamaha also can sound more laid back,Rest very enjoyable.
Denon is much warmer compared to Yamaha.Sometime it can sound much softer in vocal area.It has thicker sound than even Marantz.
Marantz to me is between Yamaha and Denon with better vocals. Marantz is musical.
Onkyo is some where little different.Power output of Onkyo is better and sound again warmer and little rolled off high frequencies.Better soundstage.
Pioneer is again balanced sound with little soft approach.
Anthem lis very powerful,but little bright.

Signature of sound can change with different models of same company.Depending on DAC chip,power out etc.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back