Yamaha AVR owners thread

Suggest you remove all sources connected.....check all speaker wires including the subwoofer cable....

The connect one source at a time and check if the same issue is happening.....

This way you can start troubleshooting and find out the exact cause
Actually tried all of the above before sharing my concern on this forum . Thanks for your opinion.

Try resetting the AVR to factory default as per the instructions given in the Manual. Hope this fixes the issue.
Did the factory reset also. But still same. Finally visited the Yamaha service centre. They will diagnose the problem on Monday , but hinted at the equalizer IC being faulty. But will have to detect he exact problem using their service manuals & will update me on Monday. Thanks

Any V685 owners pls confirm if you can add a 2 Ch External Amp to the Front Preout and let the remaining speakers (rear, center etc..) to be powered by the AVR Amp ? will that work that way ? or the user is restricted to choosing between line level and speaker level output ?
The front panel only has analogue input and no pre-out. If you are referring to the rear two preouts, one functions as Zone 2.
The zone-2 preout will carry the full signal and the other preout will carry minus of the subwoofer signal if you have configured it in your setup.

So if you are looking to power only the front two speakers with a more powerful amp in a 7.1 scenario, then it is not possible as the preouts carry full signal.
The only solution will be to wire the front speaker out connections and run it through a high to low converter and then link it to your external amp.

The front panel only has analogue input and no pre-out. If you are referring to the rear two preouts, one functions as Zone 2.
The zone-2 preout will carry the full signal and the other preout will carry minus of the subwoofer signal if you have configured it in your setup.

So if you are looking to power only the front two speakers with a more powerful amp in a 7.1 scenario, then it is not possible as the preouts carry full signal.
The only solution will be to wire the front speaker out connections and run it through a high to low converter and then link it to your external amp.

No not the Zone two ! They themselves have given a dedicated set of preout for the fronts alone ! Pls see the pic

Attachments

• 21365FDC-AE85-4BDC-A36E-1159B9BB0173.png
    21365FDC-AE85-4BDC-A36E-1159B9BB0173.png
    486 KB · Views: 21
Oops sorry, If it pushes only the front low level signals out, yes it is possible then. Will have to check manual for exactly what is meant by front out.
These Americanos can sometimes write n mean something else.

No not the Zone two ! They themselves have given a dedicated set of preout for the fronts alone ! Pls see the pic

Saw manual.
Yesji...the Yamaha front preout on.the rear is dedicated to output only front out low level signal.
Ofcourse when system is configured in 2-channel mode, the same preout will output the full signal to function as a stereo preamp

My RXV 473 has gone into standby mode. I was away for about 3 months, otherwise it was being used everyday without any problem at all. After coming back when I switched it on it worked fine for about 10 minutes. After that only the red standby indicator is on and starts blinking for a while if 'ON' button is pressed either on main unit or remote. It is passing through signal to TV but not responding to any other command. Can anybody please help?

My RXV 473 has gone into standby mode. I was away for about 3 months, otherwise it was being used everyday without any problem at all. After coming back when I switched it on it worked fine for about 10 minutes. After that only the red standby indicator is on and starts blinking for a while if 'ON' button is pressed either on main unit or remote. It is passing through signal to TV but not responding to any other command. Can anybody please help?

A few things you may try:

1. First of all, please make sure in the remote "Zone Switch" is enabled for the main zone and not accidently pushed towards 'other side' or zone 2.
2. Check Remote batteries, replace the batteries with new one.
3. Factory reset the AVR as per the guidelines given in the manual.

Let us know if it solves your issues.

@pranjandas Thanks for your response.
1. There is no 'Zone' switch, as it is a 5.1 system.
2. Batteries are ok. However, I tried the switches on the front panel also.
3. There is no display at all. Tried power switch while holding the 'straight' button but nothing happened.
Only the red indicator is on. When I press the power button, red indicator flashes a few times and goes back to steady red.
According to the manual, the AVR has gone into 'protection' mode and visiting a service center is advised.
There are three service centers in Kolkata - Pro FX, Sounrex & Bose Electro Accoustics.
Has anybody availed their services? What are the chances of survival- you know what I mean!
Any comments from fellow FMs will be helpfull.

@pranjandas Thanks for your response.
1. There is no 'Zone' switch, as it is a 5.1 system.
2. Batteries are ok. However, I tried the switches on the front panel also.
3. There is no display at all. Tried power switch while holding the 'straight' button but nothing happened.
Only the red indicator is on. When I press the power button, red indicator flashes a few times and goes back to steady red.
According to the manual, the AVR has gone into 'protection' mode and visiting a service center is advised.
There are three service centers in Kolkata - Pro FX, Sounrex & Bose Electro Accoustics.
Has anybody availed their services? What are the chances of survival- you know what I mean!
Any comments from fellow FMs will be helpfull.

Manual says under this circumstances capabilities to turn on the power is disabled after three consecutive activation of protection circuitary. Visit Service Center for repair.

I am looking forward in getting 3077 AVR. Do we have any news about new AVR launches from YAMAHA for entry level models? Auditioned from Sterling music Nungambakkam and it was good other than some distortion at high sub output levels. I think they were paired with 299 or np 40 speaker set.

Yamaha AVRs are being sold by ProFx...they would have the latest models meant for India.....I am doubtful if the 3077 will be with them....you can always check before making the trip to their outlet.

I am getting no sound from my Yamaha Aventage RX A-700. The display shows "Decoder off". With HDMI there is video but no sound whatsoever. Also with passthrough (on standby) audio is coming from TV. I tried resetting the receiver and changing HDMI cables but no success. I purchased this in the US in 2011 and since then it has worked without any issues so far. Can anyone help in solving the issue?

I am getting no sound from my Yamaha Aventage RX A-700. The display shows "Decoder off". With HDMI there is video but no sound whatsoever. Also with passthrough (on standby) audio is coming from TV. I tried resetting the receiver and changing HDMI cables but no success. I purchased this in the US in 2011 and since then it has worked without any issues so far. Can anyone help in solving the issue?

Disconnect all the speakers and sources connected...then connect a single source and a pair of speakers and try....RESET the AVR once everything is disconnected....remove the mains from power socket and hook it back after 15 mins.....

There could possibly be some issue on the processing board....

Have you tried analog source connections to check if the amp section is working?

Do this and let us know.....

Disconnect all the speakers and sources connected...then connect a single source and a pair of speakers and try....RESET the AVR once everything is disconnected....remove the mains from power socket and hook it back after 15 mins.....

There could possibly be some issue on the processing board....

Have you tried analog source connections to check if the amp section is working?

Do this and let us know.....
Followed all the steps you suggested. However no luck and it still displays "Decoder off" with no sound. Unfortunately I do not have an analog cable with me right now. Will try to get one and test out the analog connections. But it seems something may be wrong with the main processing board.

Ok...pls get a cord soon and check.......usually if processing boards get BRICKED....the service center does some FLASHING (reset) and makes it alive.

Check the charges for reviving the avr....else you are better off buying a new one or pre owned one based on your requirements.

Ok...pls get a cord soon and check.......usually if processing boards get BRICKED....the service center does some FLASHING (reset) and makes it alive.

Check the charges for reviving the avr....else you are better off buying a new one or pre owned one based on your requirements.
Checked with an AV cable by connecting directly with Tata Sky STB. Also found the old Yamaha ipod dock and connected an ipod to the receiver. Everything is getting detected but no sound...showing the same "Decoder off". This receiver is located at my Kolkata home and I usually spend 1-2 months in a year over here. So probably will leave it as is for now. Also I have no idea about Yamaha service center in Kolkata and whether they will do service on a US purchased receiver.
However I have the RX-667 (almost the similar model as the RX-A700 and purchased in US around the same time as well) at my Bangalore home where I have a much better setup. This time I actually planned to take the A700 with me to Bangalore since it is a slightly better model, and then later move the RX-667 to Kolkata. Now keeping my fingers crossed that the RX-667 doesn't develop the same issue. If it does, I will probably go for a new receiver with 4K and atmos support. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Last edited:
Back