Yamaha AVR owners thread

Hi Everyone,

Recently purchased RX-V685, as this is my first AVR I cannot compare but performance seems to be good as of now.

The initial set bought from dealer have some issue when switching from one HDMI input to another HDMI and it was taking 20-60 seconds to switch between HDMI inputs, specially one which is connected to my DISH TV HD box. I tried different combinations like switching off ARC, HDMI Control and video processing which made some improvement but not as par with expectation. So I thought to give a try with new setup and after complaining they came with a new receiver.

I hooked up and experience was different here, even after turning ON above features (ARC, HDMI Control and Video Processing), it now takes 3-4 seconds (For Dish TV HD) and some time up-to 10 seconds for HTPC & Fire TV to recognize the HDMI input and seems great when compared to previous one.

They replaced mine one with this but later I realized, it is taking much more time to recognize ARC channel from TV which I didn't observe in previous unit. In previous set it was recognizing as soon as I boot up the TV and use the TV app to play anything or even if I select different HDMI input while booting up the TV like Set Top box and then return to TV app to play from USB or YouTube.
But now I need to keep TV on (with its UI in ARC mode) and select "Audio 1" as input and turn off and on AVR to recognize the ARC channel where receiver shows "TV" and then it runs fine till I completely switch off the AVR.
Other observation, if I immediately switch to some other HDMI input while booting up TV and AVR, it does not recognize the ARC until I repeat the above process like keep TV on with its UI with select "Audio 1" as input.

Any comment on above???

I also suspect that dealer has given me old or refurbished receiver which they bring as replacement, as they bright without its original box packing. The machines seems new except the power plug which seems to be of very cheap quality and reason for suspecting this. As far serial number of this seems to be newer from previous one.

Can someone post the images of power plug socket if possible for RX-V685 and any place where I can verify the serial number??? I am attaching the image of Power socket of AVR along with my Yamaha subwoofer ( I remember the previous AVR had same quality of Power plug).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• PowerSocket.jpg
    PowerSocket.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hi, I also bought Yamaha RXV 685 recently. Were you able to get 5.1 through HDMI ARC. I also bought LG OLED C8 and not able to get any sound through ARC, forget about 5.1. Can you pls guide me how did you set this up?

Can you pls guide me how did you set this up?
Make sure you have connected to HDMI (ARC) port on your TV (Not sure of your TV) and Yamaha receiver @ HDMI Out 1 which has ARC capability.
On AVR, Go to Setup Menu >> Video/HDMI >> HDMI Control and set following settings:
HDMI Control : On
TV Audio Input : Audio 1 (This can be changed but kept as it is default and in this case you are using Audio 1 optical then change)
ARC : On
Standby Sync : Auto

That's it on AVR, and you need to output your sound from TV through HDMI (ARC), mine have three option "TV Speakers", HDMI (ARC) and SPDIF so here I choose HDMI (ARC).

Now turn on your AVR and play something from TV app like youtube or something, AVR should detect the ARC and select Audio 1 as input and you will see "TV" shows on front display of AVR. If unable to detect the ARC, change input manually to Audio 1 (or whatever you kept in AVR) and give couple of minutes to detect. Turning off and on after selecting Audio 1 helps to detect ARC settings.

Hi, many thanks for your revert.

My TV is an LG OLED C8, changed from Sony just couple of days back in which I used optical cable for 5.1. Now being a new tv I thought I should try ARC, as in the website LG mentioned that it supports dolby etc through ARC.

So I removed optical, kept audio through ARC in TV and done all the above settings you mentioned in AVR. But there is absolutely no audio output.

Is there is any reason for selecting only Audio 1 above when we have other options like AV1, 2, 3 etc. Kindly help.

I again started facing problem with ARC but now I drilled down to the actual problem.

I have Dish NXT HD box (D5004) and seems like there is some conflict with HDMI control and ARC with this one. ARC and HDMI controls works flawlessly when this box is not powered on or its HDMI is not connected to AVR, however it is not true with vice versa.

Any one here facing the same problem? Thinking to replace or swap the HD STB box with D7004 model.

I mentioned above also, the default ARC audio input is "Audio 1" and can be changed from settings to other inputs like Audio 2, AV1 etc.
I tried as you said but same result again. If not 5.1 atleast I shud be able to listen to PCM, but absolutely no sound. When I select ARC input AVR is recognizing it as TV, but audio is not working.
In AVR where do we define Input for optical cable, any idea?

I tried as you said but same result again. If not 5.1 atleast I shud be able to listen to PCM, but absolutely no sound. When I select ARC input AVR is recognizing it as TV, but audio is not working.
In AVR where do we define Input for optical cable, any idea?
When you say it recognizes as TV, you don't see a audio format like PCM on front panel. For me when it shows TV, it shows PCM or DD according to the source. I think there might be setting in your TV to output the sound via HDMI (ARC) or SPDIF (for me it there, else how would TV knows to output via TV's speaker or HDMI).
When it is recognizing at TV, which means your HDMI control is working fine. You might need to follow below menu to activate ARC (as seen on other LG TV not sure of yours).

MENU >> Click the 3 dot button for all settings >> Sound >> Sound Out >> Select Audio Out (Optical / HDMI ARC) >> Turn On SIMPLINK.

Above should enable the ARC over HDMI and for optical you need to turn on "Digital Sound Out" instead of "SIMPLINK" at last step.

Hope it should fix your things.

I enabled hdmi arc already in TV under audio out and I dont have simplink separately but it says once Arc is enabled simplink is automatically switched on. So tried all this only after enabling arc both in TV n Avr, but couldnt be successful.

I enabled hdmi arc already in TV under audio out and I dont have simplink separately but it says once Arc is enabled simplink is automatically switched on. So tried all this only after enabling arc both in TV n Avr, but couldnt be successful.
What cable are you using between the AVR and the TV. What ports are you connecting them to?
Normally only a single HDMI port supports ARC on TV
For my LG B6 the ARC is supported on HDMI2
So I have connected the AVR out to HDMI2 on TV

Have you plugged in any set top box in one of the HDMI port? Which set top box you are using? If yes, then unplug and try the ARC output again.

In India, most set top boxes are not compatible with CEC control, where it gets conflict with CEC and ARC for TV and Receiver.

Settop box is directly plugged in to avr, only one hdmi goes from tv to avr through arc.
And i dont think cable is an issue as the entire avr is using the same cable to send signals to tv.

hmmm, couldnt understand the link between DTH and ARC but will try this and let you know. Yesterday I connected Optical cable and went ahead with it after getting frustrated with ARC. Thanks a lot for your support. Seems like you are from Hyderabad, where do you stay?

To yamaha rxv685 users-
It will be good if you share sound quality of this model.
When l check specs,it consumes more power(590w) than earlier model(400w or less).
Also it has 4 dac chips, one for 2 ch unlike regularly used as single 8ch BB dac.
Kindly compare its sound quality with other one.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back