Yamaha AVR owners thread

Attached is the reply from yamaha where it refuses to accept it as manufacturing defect whereas all the while they have been saying over the phone that their devices dont have leakage current on their devices as do they in this mail too.

Yamaha was being evasive with me when i prodded as to what they want to analyse and finally when i kept asking they said wen they find the issue they will repair it.Thats wen i asked then why they had to send so many mails and waste both our times as in the call and the mail i had made it pretty clear that i dont want repair but refund/replacemnet of a defective unit.

Whats surprising is their repeated insisting that no one yet has reported any residual current implying its not there other than on mine and thats because many users are doing DIY and considering its fine...we can manage when they shoul be ideally escalating this to yamaha and putting them on the dock so that they atleast dont mess up new models for upcoming users.
That's a horrible response from a company which is saying that all the units that come out of a production line is perfect and since there is no complaint from any other units, this unit "also" should be perfect
just shows the state of affairs of consumers in India, brands should own up that there can be issues with their units and replace when fault is found

Attached is the reply from yamaha where it refuses to accept it as manufacturing defect whereas all the while they have been saying over the phone that their devices dont have leakage current on their devices as do they in this mail too.

Yamaha was being evasive with me when i prodded as to what they want to analyse and finally when i kept asking they said wen they find the issue they will repair it.Thats wen i asked then why they had to send so many mails and waste both our times as in the call and the mail i had made it pretty clear that i dont want repair but refund/replacemnet of a defective unit.

Whats surprising is their repeated insisting that no one yet has reported any residual current implying its not there other than on mine and thats because many users are doing DIY and considering its fine...we can manage when they shoul be ideally escalating this to yamaha and putting them on the dock so that they atleast dont mess up new models for upcoming users.

Have you checked the reviews from Amazon for the same unit, maybe someone has mentioned it. If yes, then you can use that as reference to mail them back. Maybe you might have already done this.

Hope you get the resolution soon. I was also looking to purchase the yamaha unit with preouts.. Lets see what happens.

BTW, which service center is this ? Yamaha service is available at Kollam ?

Wow.. read the entire conversation and its unfortunate instead of enjoying the purchase u are having to go through all the problems with no satisfactory resolution from the company yet. I think the company is pretty adamant on giving it to service center and repairing it. With the way it is going it might stretch longer.

Keep us updated please

That's a horrible response from a company which is saying that all the units that come out of a production line is perfect and since there is no complaint from any other units, this unit "also" should be perfect
just shows the state of affairs of consumers in India, brands should own up that there can be issues with their units and replace when fault is found
yes exactly but partially us yamaha users who have this issue are partially responsible.to all that i talked they arent even willing to raise it to yamaha and follow it up.yamaha told me u just have a small set if data.wat baffles me is thats exactly wat am saying.if the number of failures in a small data set is this much think if this is a big one.problem is unless users band up,those who have issues with yamaha,this will continue on upcoming models simply because they are still in denial.And in future too this will keep repeating.i have to anyway again buy a new AVR pretty soon but then i wonder which one?the only reason i went for yamaha was the built and music quality.coz of this i would need to select denon i suppose.

Have you checked the reviews from Amazon for the same unit, maybe someone has mentioned it. If yes, then you can use that as reference to mail them back. Maybe you might have already done this.

Hope you get the resolution soon. I was also looking to purchase the yamaha unit with preouts.. Lets see what happens.

yes its available at kollam.well the reviews were fine.only my review u will see with this issue highlighted.
the irony is those users who told me that they have them just refuse to accept it as an AVR problem and report to yamaha.they are just easily letting yamaha off the hook.and i say this not only of users in india but in US as well.thats how rampant this issue is.
i am not suggesting that yamaha should be having all units without issue but the way they have been dealing with this is what concerns me.A brand international company should not be behaving like a local kirana shop owner.

Last edited:
Wow.. read the entire conversation and its unfortunate instead of enjoying the purchase u are having to go through all the problems with no satisfactory resolution from the company yet. I think the company is pretty adamant on giving it to service center and repairing it. With the way it is going it might stretch longer.

Keep us updated please
i will.i told them am done and since we r still at the dispute i will meet them in court.told them to mail wat they said in the call.they said fine.but in the mail they told me to take it to servcie centre and that they will not open and verify in front of me.i will take it and if they play fair then they can check and i will take it back then and there.now i think i wont even ask for a replacement as i dont trust yamaha as a company any more.i havent seen such pathetic response even from bsnl in kerala

the irony is not just that.the seller who sold me showed the same issue on 3 devices he has.3 diff models.i think if smhow this got out and became shared and popular then yamaha may face a similar fiasco like onkyo did.either they agree that there devices have residual current to which then they may to answer why some dont.and if they say vice versa then they have to accept the huge number of claims that will come their way.
But for that to happen people would have to come forward and i think if atleast yamaha members share it widely which then again gets shared this cud get big and finally smone wil pick this up and that will make yamaha sit up and notice.
This happens because some manager at the top may be arrogant enough to just save the profits or be concerned about how the sale results look and in a whole the company may not be aware of the mess.thats how every issue goes out of hand

well you can purchase.i would say buy from amazon only but only the amazon fulfilled item.no matter if other sellers who are not amazon fulfilled gives u for less dont buy from those.
Now that you know wat to look for you can check and return if you find any issue.Why i say is because at a shop u wont be able to check for long.even if u do theres always a chance u may miss smthmg.just because i happened to have the issue doesnt mean urs will be having the same.i am skeptical because who knows wat other issues they have.denon is not an option considering they dont even have an indian site and two years before i tracked down a service guy in trivandrum chaka if i remeber correctly.ironically he told me bro its better if u buy yamaha after striking a conversation with him.

the irony is not just that.the seller who sold me showed the same issue on 3 devices he has.3 diff models.i think if smhow this got out and became shared and popular then yamaha may face a similar fiasco like onkyo did.either they agree that there devices have residual current to which then they may to answer why some dont.and if they say vice versa then they have to accept the huge number of claims that will come their way.
But for that to happen people would have to come forward and i think if atleast yamaha members share it widely which then again gets shared this cud get big and finally smone wil pick this up and that will make yamaha sit up and notice.
This happens because some manager at the top may be arrogant enough to just save the profits or be concerned about how the sale results look and in a whole the company may not be aware of the mess.thats how every issue goes out of hand
This is scary, I just got 685, it is still unboxed.

This is scary, I just got 685, it is still unboxed.
dont worry.this issue isnt specific to yamaha 685 or even to a certain region.so theres always a chance u will get one without any issue.even if u dont see an electric voltage do check very thouroughly for any other issues which i may not have seen.

if u even feel anythngs not as u think it shud be pls raise the flag and post here.remember theres no stupid finding.

check.use tester.check as i have shown.need any help feel free to ask here.we r here to help.is it purchased online.then dont worry.check and if the tester lights up return it.dont even think twice.i still regret not seeing it in my return window

Last edited:
dont worry.this issue isnt specific to yamaha 685 or even to a certain region.so theres always a chance u will get one without any issue.even if u dont see an electric voltage do check very thouroughly for any other issues which i may not have seen.

if u even feel anythngs not as u think it shud be pls raise the flag and post here.remember theres no stupid finding.

check.use tester.check as i have shown.need any help feel free to ask here.we r here to help.is it purchased online.then dont worry.check and if the tester lights up return it.dont even think twice.i still regret not seeing it in my return window
I've purchased from an offline store, the owner of which is a mutual contact from an audiophile friend. He has assured me to help in case of any issues. My house is being painted and would be getting new speakers on Monday, so most probably I would be able to both on Monday but will surely post here irrespective of my observations

I've purchased from an offline store, the owner of which is a mutual contact from an audiophile friend. He has assured me to help in case of any issues. My house is being painted and would be getting new speakers on Monday, so most probably I would be able to both on Monday but will surely post here irrespective of my observations
great.i really hope ur receiver is totally issue free and serves u for years.so wat speakers r u getting?

Thanks bro, I pray the same, I trusted Yamaha over Denon just for after sales service
me too but well this is the real scneario now.thats why i highlighted this so that not only others but i too dont get it in future models

me too but well this is the real scneario now.thats why i highlighted this so that not only others but i too dont get it in future models
so took it to yamaha service centre today.i would want smone form audio forums somebody with a large following to highlight this.

1. the service centre too got the voltage on tester and on an analog multimeter 5V ac.i have the video but dont know if the forum allows to post videos.

2.there is a huge design issue at yamaha.trust me.as a yamaha owner i am saying this.ok hear me out.today they showed me two yamaha avrs at the service centre with a small current on body though they too said it shidnt happen.a guy from head office called.repeatedly says smtimes that it widnt cm and wen i say it is there on quite a few he says its there on almost all devices.thats wen i asked then why not then on similar models say for ambodynwho boight in kolkata.he doesnt possibly have an answer and beating round the bush.to me one thing is crystal clear.yamaha devices for quite sm tome is having this issue.what u get depends entirely on luck and with nowadays everyone using prrominently wireless headphones or airplay or bluetooth we dont notice this.even i widnt have hadnt it been for a niece and later i getting a small shock on connecting ipod.a guy at the service centre branch office kerala suggested see it wont kill u.i asked why shid i spend 60k for getring a shock wen i can bery well get it for free by putting my finger into a live socket!!

so guys i am an inconsequential person but am requesting whoever cares to highlight this in such a huge way that this gets highlighted so that it gets addressed otherwise i have a strong feeling they will label this as an inconsequential issue and brush it under the carpet

Hi need Help!
Iam using yamaha RX-V583 happily for past two years with 5.1 setup and now ordered two Polk RC-60i for adding height setup and iam using Nvidia Shield for streaming via Plex. Previously i used to get dolby atmos and dts , X when i see display option-signal info now it shows only TrueHD and DTS HD MA (not X or atmos) i just started digging up settings as iam getting my height channel speakers.
my speaker setup is in presence.i know yamaha doesnt show atmos in their display of receiver but will be displayed inside options menu and signal info .I am on latest firmware and my doubt is does it plays only atmos when i connect height speakers to receiver??

so guys i am an inconsequential person but am requesting whoever cares to highlight this in such a huge way that this gets highlighted so that it gets addressed otherwise i have a strong feeling they will label this as an inconsequential issue and brush it under the carpet

So what about the yamaha social medium platforms like - Twitter, Insta etc ? Raised the concern there too ?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back