Yamaha AVR owners thread

How is the Yamaha RX-V685 sound quality in stereo? (2+subwoofer)

I have Wharfedale 225 speakers and 10.3'' Canton 10.3 subwoofer (220-300W).
Had them connected to a) SMSLAD18 amp - sound quality was excellent, but that amp has serious subwoofer LFE problems (non adjustable LFE 200Hz).
b) Switched to Pioneer VSX-832 - great crossover management, but terrible sound quality (flat, muffled, no power)
c) im considering Yamaha RX-V685 or Yamaha R-N803 (stereo receiver with crossover management)
Thanks

Last edited:
How is the Yamaha RX-V685 sound quality in stereo? (2+subwoofer)

I have Wharfedale 225 speakers and 10.3'' Canton 10.3 subwoofer (220-300W).
Had them connected to a) SMSLAD18 amp - sound quality was excellent, but that amp has serious subwoofer LFE problems (non adjustable LFE 200Hz).
b) Switched to Pioneer VSX-832 - great crossover management, but terrible sound quality (flat, muffled, no power)
c) im considering Yamaha RX-V685 or Yamaha R-N803 (stereo receiver with crossover management)
Thanks
I have good experience with Yamaha R-N602. plenty of energy to drive the speakers, good bass and adequate headroom compared to budget Marantz amps. I too have terrible experience with VSX-831for stereo/music.

I have good experience with Yamaha R-N602. plenty of energy to drive the speakers, good bass and adequate headroom compared to budget Marantz amps. I too have terrible experience with VSX-831for stereo/music.
I've researched the problem with Pioneer VSX832 and the measurements show that it outputs only 38W per channel at 4 ohms! Since Wharfedale 225 are 8ohms, the input wattage was probably around 19W! Sound was rather flat, dim, lacked details on lower volume. Dissapointing.

I would take Yamaha R-N803, since it has adjustable crossover frequency, but no HDMI ports (its a stereo receiver). Main priority is Yamaha RX-V685 or V683 - should have plenty of power, adjustable crossover, plenty of inputs, though my main concern is sound quality in stereo/music.

Any FM here with the Yamaha rxa1080 or 2080. Price and Review ?
Planning to upgrade, current AVR yamaha rxa810.

I had a Yamaha RX-A710 which was very well maintained until a voltage spike ruined it recently. It would not boot from then on. I went to the only authorized service center in Bengaluru and he quoted 19K to replace the 'motherboard'. Is it worth going for it and then sell the unit for more than the repair cost?
Any advice is appreciated.

I have Polk RtiA5 as FS and 4 sourround speakers its a Atmos setup. While watching movies it sounds good and crisp. Recently i have started to enjoy High Quality music wav and flac files and i really enjoy them. My AVR is RXV-581 and while listening to HD Audio music i can feel that the FS needs some more power and it would sound good if it gets that extra power.

POLK RtiA5 FS Specifications from it's website.
  • Total Frequency Response30 Hz - 27,000 Hz
  • Nominal Impedance - 8 ohms
  • Sensitivity (1 watt @ 1 meter) - 90 dB
  • Lower and Upper 3dB Limits40 Hz - 26,000 Hz
EXTERNAL AMPLIFIER
  • Recommended Amplifier Power Per Channel 20 watts - 250 watts
Yamaha RX-V 581 Specifications from it's website.
  • --- 80 W per channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09 % THD, 2 ch driven)
  • --- 115 W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1 ch driven)
  • --- 145 W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1ch driven)
Will a Power Amplifier enhance the music and give me a better music experience or it won't or make just less difference ?

I have Polk RtiA5 as FS and 4 sourround speakers its a Atmos setup. While watching movies it sounds good and crisp. Recently i have started to enjoy High Quality music wav and flac files and i really enjoy them. My AVR is RXV-581 and while listening to HD Audio music i can feel that the FS needs some more power and it would sound good if it gets that extra power.

EXTERNAL AMPLIFIER
Will a Power Amplifier enhance the music and give me a better music experience or it won't or make just less difference ?

Hi

As per specs the Yamaha does deliver ample output for the speakers......still if you feel something lacking before investing in a power amp...check if you can manually adjust the levels for the front speakers....if done already and still find them under powered...get a power amp.....Emotiva A300

I had a Yamaha RX-A710 which was very well maintained until a voltage spike ruined it recently. It would not boot from then on. I went to the only authorized service center in Bengaluru and he quoted 19K to replace the 'motherboard'. Is it worth going for it and then sell the unit for more than the repair cost?
Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,

Repairs / Spares for discontinued models will always cost a lot in India...suggest if you have ample budget to purchase a new AVR of specific requirements and connectivity....if on a budget, look at Classifieds on this site or OLX and get a pre owned one.

Suggestion saught.
How can the zone 2 speakers be used as presence speakers to enhance vocals in movies played in Dolby PL etc.

In most cases Zone 2 can be used as Front Speakers B or Bi Amp...depending on the model of the AVR. Please check the user manual which will have all the details of what is possible and assignable.

Hi I also need some inputs on the A2080. planning to upgrade from my Denon x2200w

There is a difference in SQ and features....you will need to hear it to believe and decide for yourself. Suggest you audition the same using the same music or movie scene as reference, preferably with the same set of speakers if possible

The first thing is to compare the specs of A810 v/s the model you have in mind. Both being the AVENTAGE series will have almost the same SQ with differences of updated Video / Audio enhancements and calibration setups. There would also be a difference in Output etc.

IMHO, I found the AVENTAGE series quite neutral for music and movies ....50:50 .....being top of the line series of Yamaha AVRs.......

You can check posts by @celester340 who owned the A1070 for sometime. I believe he has a detailed review posted.

Bottomline, if you like the SQ of AVENTAGE series, then only upgrade to the latest model, provided you use all the listed features and there is a significant change to what you have currently available in the A810.

If you want to try something different....see Marantz SR6012/13 or Denon X3500 / X4500

EXTERNAL AMPLIFIER

First of all, 581 does not have pre-out support for connecting power amplifier. Before upgrading to Marantz, I too had 581. It indeed sounds truly amazing for hi-res audio.

I guess it should drive RTi A5 without much effort. Crank up the volume, it should sound good.

Thank you Sir
The first thing is to compare the specs of A810 v/s the model you have in mind. Both being the AVENTAGE series will have almost the same SQ with differences of updated Video / Audio enhancements and calibration setups. There would also be a difference in Output etc.

IMHO, I found the AVENTAGE series quite neutral for music and movies ....50:50 .....being top of the line series of Yamaha AVRs.......

You can check posts by @celester340 who owned the A1070 for sometime. I believe he has a detailed review posted.

Bottomline, if you like the SQ of AVENTAGE series, then only upgrade to the latest model, provided you use all the listed features and there is a significant change to what you have currently available in the A810.

If you want to try something different....see Marantz SR6012/13 or Denon X3500 / X4500

Thank you Sir , i basically was looking for 4K Support and support to newer audio features . I understand the SQ would be similar across Aventage products except for the power output.
Apart from Denon and Marantz , i was also considering Onkyo and Pioneer but i am skeptical regarding the reliability of both (HDMI board failures).
Also some mid range AVRs from Pioneer like LX503 have a global crossover (even my A810) , so was kinda confused.

Thank you Sir

Thank you Sir , i basically was looking for 4K Support and support to newer audio features . I understand the SQ would be similar across Aventage products except for the power output.
Apart from Denon and Marantz , i was also considering Onkyo and Pioneer but i am skeptical regarding the reliability of both (HDMI board failures).
Also some mid range AVRs from Pioneer like LX503 have a global crossover (even my A810) , so was kinda confused.

There are a lot of reasons that cause HDMI board failures....most common is electric current passing through STB ....no AVR brand is future proof...all made in china except some high end ones which are made in japan........audition n decide

Thank you Sir

With electronics you can never know. Some will last long,some will fail and doesnt matter what brand it is.
2080 is a good upgrade from 810. Also you can look at denon 4500 and marantz 7013,6013.

First of all, 581 does not have pre-out support for connecting power amplifier. Before upgrading to Marantz, I too had 581. It indeed sounds truly amazing for hi-res audio.

I guess it should drive RTi A5 without much effort. Crank up the volume, it should sound good.
Thanks mate .. Will stick with the 581 as for now as suggested by you :)

Hi Everyone,

I own a Yamaha RX V685 Receiver. I need to see the Audio/video encoding details in the avr screen instead of viewing in the tv by pressing the settings button.

How do I do that? Kindly help.

Thanks in advance.

Press the info button repeatedly to toggle between the selected input source, sound program (like 7 channel stereo, Dolby Digital etc) and encoding type like PCM. encoding details beyond this can only be seen on the attached display as far as I know.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back