100Hz technology

shredder

Can anyone please shed some light on the 100Hz (or higher) technology...
Does it make any real world difference? I have come across an article which actually claims that it causes a "haloing" effect. The same article mentions that
Another lesser problem with 100Hz is that it can make motion appear less natural and more "synthetic" -- as all the natural bumps are removed and computerised. The effect at its worst can make live action look like a Pixar animation.

Its a huge difference if you are watching sports or anything with a lot of motion.

The motion does seem a bit too smooth initially but once you get used to it, you'd not be able to go back to 50Hz.

It introduces artifacts once in a blue moon and if you do encounter that, its best to disable it for that particular movie.

If your question is in reference to 100Hz as applicable in CRT TVs, then the answer is that 100Hz will make the picture look much better and without effecting the picture in any negative way. The PAL standard has a refresh rate of 50Hz, thus to achieve the 100Hz, your TV simply doubles the refresh rate. The very low 50Hz refresh rate of PAL, causes your eyes to percieve a flicker in the picture, which makes the picture less sharp, not to mention the irritation of the flicker itself and the damage it does to your eyes. By doubling the refresh rate to 100Hz, the flicker dissapears, resulting in a much sharper picture. Ofcourse, the absence of the flicker is also much easier on your eyes and thus causes less strain.

This is the biggest headache related with LCD. No matter whether it's 100hz or 200hz, it will never even come close to the motion clarity of Plasmas. And while it does make a difference, it also makes the picture look unrealistic. It would be like watching a documentary while you watch a Blu Ray movie. This is one of the biggest reason why I recommend Plasma instead of LCD, provided the screen size is 50 inches or more.

It introduces artifacts once in a blue moon and if you do encounter that, its best to disable it for that particular movie.

Does this mean that this feature can be turned off on all TVs?

This is the biggest headache related with LCD. No matter whether it's 100hz or 200hz, it will never even come close to the motion clarity of Plasmas. And while it does make a difference, it also makes the picture look unrealistic. It would be like watching a documentary while you watch a Blu Ray movie. This is one of the biggest reason why I recommend Plasma instead of LCD, provided the screen size is 50 inches or more.

While I agree that True Motion makes a movie look like a documentry and indeed makes the picture unrealistic, that alone is no reason to go for Plasmas over LCD (current gen LCDs are as good as Plasma in Motion Clearity with better contrast ratio and ofcourse full HD). Its juat a matter of making sure that your LCD has the option to turn the damm thing off, like mine has. I was very particular in choosing an LCD in this regard and made sure that there is an option to turn off true motion.

I would also agree with @sanjay0864 that 100Hz definately makes much more sense in a CRT the picture is flicker free and pleasing. I have a philips 720p CRT as well that has 100 hz refresh rate and I can vouch it really make it flicker free and less strenuous. Sadly the same can not be said for LCDs.......

Does this mean that this feature can be turned off on all TVs?

Not all LCD and definately not in a CRT........ few models of LG/SONY I came across that did not have the option to turn True Motion off......only Low and High.

Not all LCD and definately not in a CRT........ few models of LG/SONY I came across that did not have the option to turn True Motion off......only Low and High.

Can you tell me if the feature can be turned off in LG 32LH60YR (Jazz Theater)?
Also is it worth shelling out 3000/- more for this 100Hz technology?

100Hzs though is boost to motion picture,if TV processer is not good enough,you can see odd frames.Judder goes,but I have even seen movement not accurate.
But 100Hz is requirement for 3D concept too.

Can you tell me if the feature can be turned off in LG 32LH60YR (Jazz Theater)?
Also is it worth shelling out 3000/- more for this 100Hz technology?

Well I dont remember for this model, I can vouce for LH50, LH40. LH70 all have the option to turn this off. @theironhorse owns this LCD LH60, he should be in a better position to answer this.......

Well AFAIK to date every sony lcds have the option to turn off the 100hz,unlike the LG pseudo 100hz trumotion backlight scanning, sony motionflow and samsung AMP have true 100hz i.e frame insertion.

100hz can also take judder in 24p movies.

Do note even plasma are now coming up with 100hz so i think its there for a reason,many people do like it.

The best 100hz techs are from sony,samsung,philips.

Last edited:
Well AFAIK to date every sony lcds have the option to turn off the 100hz,unlike the LG pseudo 100hz trumotion backlight scanning, sony motionflow and samsung AMP have true 100hz i.e frame insertion.

100hz can also take judder in 24p movies.

Do note even plasma are now coming up with 100hz so i think its there for a reason,many people do like it.

The best 100hz techs are from sony,samsung,philips.

With all due respect SONY is all Hype and less substance :).... 100/200 Hz Motion on SONY looks no good as it looks on Samsung or LG. SONY is no God in technology to bring something out of this world......

Last edited:
With all due respect SONY is all Hype and less substance :).... 100/200 Hz Motion on SONY looks no good as it looks on Samsung or LG. SONY is no God in technology to bring something out weof this world......

Well if you are comparing these 100hz systems,the lg has the worst system they still show a more blurry image then others,as i have said before even a 60hz philips with a similar ips panel as the lg has better motion compared to 100hz lg lcds.

All i saying is the 100hz systems from sony/samsung & philips are better.
Out of these the sony and philips version are also higly praised by professional review.

Frankly when i saw the "hyped"( as said also by Chaos )lg LH90 & SL 90 i was really unimpressed with their motion & overall SD playback.The only advantage they have is the sound quality and the cheaper price tag.

Well if you are comparing these 100hz systems,the lg has the worst system they still show a more blurry image then others,as i have said before even a 60hz philips with a similar ips panel as the lg has better motion compared to 100hz lg lcds.

All i saying is the 100hz systems from sony/samsung & philips are better.
Out of these the sony and philips version are also higly praised by professional review.

Frankly when i saw the "hyped"(as said also by Chaos) lg LH90 & SL 90 i was really unimpressed with their motion & overall SD playback.The only advantage they have is the sound quality and the cheaper price tag.

Best example of sublective viewing experience....... :)

when I was auditioning the LCD, I did this for a week and quite extensively, with a max budget of 1L I could have coosen any sony/mony/panny, did all kinds of, research, played all LCDs with my own BR keeping all settings neutral, then changing the setting, switching the true motion on off.......and most importantly comparing the LCD side by side........and my observation, was clear, LG was at par in PQ with Sony/Samsung, similar was the case with True Motion, what ever technology good or bad different LCD uses for the same "Pracically" all true Motion looked as bad as it lookd on any high end LCD, or maybe very strictly speaking even if there was a different it was very marginal, which can not be passed as a conclusive judgement.

For my review in detail people can checkout here ........

http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/8...o-6200-htib-lg-lh70-47-lcd-pana-bd60-brp.html

Best example of sublective viewing experience....... :)

when I was auditioning the LCD, I did this for a week and quite extensively, with a max budget of 1L I could have coosen any sony/mony/panny, did all kinds of, research, played all LCDs with my own BR keeping all settings neutral, then changing the setting, switching the true motion on off.......and most importantly comparing the LCD side by side........and my observation, was clear, LG was at par in PQ with Sony/Samsung, similar was the case with True Motion, what ever technology good or bad different LCD uses for the same "Pracically" all true Motion looked as bad as it lookd on any high end LCD, or maybe very strictly speaking even if there was a different it was very marginal, which can not be passed as a conclusive judgement.

For my review in detail people can checkout here ........

http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/8...o-6200-htib-lg-lh70-47-lcd-pana-bd60-brp.html
Well i respect your observations. :)

But i still stand by my observation.

Did you check black levels,black details?
Last yr model was having problem with that which made me to go with Philips.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back