15" Sub - experimental build - but with a different design

If you drive high dB PA drivers with good SS amps in case of bass or full range PA drivers with tube, all those hi-fi expensive drivers will run for cover..... May be some select Hi-Fi drivers may outperform them by a small margin but would be 10X pricey than PA drivers. The reason being, these PA drivers are played at just a few watts for home use and are still very loud. The First Watt matters with drivers as well !

Are we talking of home audio over here.
I guess we would be very close to experiencing listening fatigue.
For a small organised home party or celebration it might be a good choice.

If you drive high dB PA drivers with good SS amps in case of bass or full range PA drivers with tube, all those hi-fi expensive drivers will run for cover..... May be some select Hi-Fi drivers may outperform them by a small margin but would be 10X pricey than PA drivers. The reason being, these PA drivers are played at just a few watts for home use and are still very loud. The First Watt matters with drivers as well !

There are much better options than Eminence drivers for OB but are only available on Parts Express or US sites. And sometimes the discounted prices are shocking. Last Christmas, it was under $100 for a Quad of the best OB 18" driver, MJK's favorite one.
I haven't listened, but Drkrack said Ahuja Sk12FRX gave a brilliant performance when it was driven by some high-end dac.

I think we should start up a new thread on diy pro sound audio and loudspeakers. Then we can exchange thoughts in regards to high power , high spl , wider coverage, loud level listening.... high power amps, pro sound processing and electronics ... etc.
We can easily get into topics like mind blowing, earth shaking, chest thumping, blowing off the roof top .... etc.
Like in other forums there is a separate discussion platform on pro audio and pro sound speakers.
I am eagerly waiting from a long time to see this new platform on diy pro sound in this forum.
Since I myself is into fabrication and reconing of high power and extreme high power pro sound Loudspeakers.

Yes, home audio. Listening fatigue ? Hardly, in my own experience. I play them at 0.5 to 2 watts max. Its very good solo, man-cave listening of your favorite tracks......

Altec 416 or 515 would be an ideal choice in this case.
You can get the full out of a fifteen inch driver which is very efficient in terms of sensitivity and output and plays beautiful in lower power levels.
Tonal quality is amazing. I guess many will agree on this. They give the best out of everything in lower power levels .... Both in tube and SS
Room filled big and bright sound.
I think you should give it a try.

Last edited:
Altec 414, is a superb 12 inch driver.
And by the way Beyma is not made by JBL.
Selenium had merged with JBL, and now its ....
JBL-SELENIUM. But the operations at Selenium remains independent. No interference by JBL.

This is a U shaped dipole with the open end facing the listener and a driver that's been turned around. Turn the enclosure around ( 180 degrees) and it's the typical U shaped dipole with the driver reversed. Reversing the driver would change it's HF response but then it's usage is as an LF driver and so will get crossed over before all that matters.
Look it up : http://www.musicanddesign.com/u_frame.html and http://www.musicanddesign.com/A_B_C_Dipole.html

Eminence Alpha 15A - 15" driver has Qts of 1.26 and Xmax 3.8mm. This could be good in my budget.

Costs around 6 to 7k :D
After using this Ahuja for 2 to 3 months, I will try with this ;)

Be careful. The Qts changes when placed in different types of baffles. Have a look at the impedance here: http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/U_and_H_Frames.pdf
You might find that very high Qts actually doesn't sound as good a drivers with less Qts though the bass ( freq) extension might be more. Less Qts gives better control in the bass. There will be a lot written on this. Do a search.

Can you buy Eminence Alpha in India for 6-7K ?

For high Qts drivers for OB bass duty, my own preference is around 0.6 to 0.8 though its based on other's findings who find 1 or above Qts drivers as not good sounding for OB bass. However, you never know until you try yourself and compare.

There is one very interesting factor of Qms for OB bass duty which I have tried hard to research and even discussed on other forums. It might be the key to OB bass nirvana........ (and not alone Qts). I nearly ended up comparing two such pairs of drivers but they were all out of stock and only one driver was available.

https://diyaudiocart.com/Raw-Drivers/Woofer/Eminence-Alpha-15A-15-Driver

The website says "in stock"

Fs 41 Hz and the driver with which every OB build among "Firangis" starts to happen and You were feeling heartbroken with the 2-3K Ahuja driver with 45 Hz Fs ! The Qts on Ahuja is 0.7, right ? It will shine, I believe.

And they have this one too, pretty steep in prices.....

https://diyaudiocart.com/PureAudioProject-OB-A15Neo-15-inch-Audiophile-Grade-Open-Baffle-Woofers

The Ahuja will stand well against this 26ker ! I can bet if its Qts 0.7 if I remember correctly.

Just went back to your post. The Ahuja is 0.54 Qts and it might be better for your build design. No worries. It would sound great. Two of these drivers, coupled with Ahuja full range on each side, on Classic OB baffle, will outperform almost every dam hi-fi setup on earth @monies spent, I am sure.

:D:D:D:D
Want to build dipole asap !!! Waiting for shipment.

Just for clarity..... im using the following
DX12F200 (left and right)
Qts= 0.72
Fs=50

As15X200 (dipole sub)
Qts=0.54
Fs= 45

Qts was good for the first one, but fs is only 50. So i chose the second model for dipole. And that too, this is 15"

Last edited:
finally i got the 15" driver. And tomorrow is a holiday for my office ..... pretty excited to build. :D
Il share the pics soon ....

Finish one first and play it. If you like what you hear, brace it well from inside.
Don't know where to keep it !!! Its a huge box in my small room :D:D
For the time being.... I told my wife ....il provide two racks in between, you can put some articles, or even use it as a shoe rack. :p

(Just to keep her calm temperorily )

Il be glad if you visit my place :)

Il finish 2 pairs of bookshelfs soon.
Then you can come and check all at once ....
Done! will bring a Bottle of Champagne as well, it calls for celebration ! Your trajectory from Pre to Pro in Speaker building is quite phenomenal. More Power to you, Most importantly wish you More Time !

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back