15" Sub - experimental build - but with a different design

Time !!!!! That's the one thing I really struggle with. You can see I posted that pic around 3am. :D nearly closing my work for that day at that time.

Great going.. You are building the speakers really faster.. I think you said you will make two sub-woofers.. Are you still making the other one?..
Yes....I'm going to make them.
Two 10" drivers ordered. They may come to me next week.

I want to build one sealed and one ported. Want to compare how they perform. :cool:

Ok....here is the first impression :D
I would say, this attempt is not a success yet.

The bass is there but it's neither loud, nor precise. It is room filling, but it's not tight. It's kind of little boomy. It sounds like a small Sony, creative, kind of sub in 2.1 package, playing at low volume.

I suspect my choice of the driver itself could be wrong for this design. Or.... may be placement in my room, or may be driver break-in is not done yet.

I checked if the driver is moving properly. When I touch it, I can clearly notice, it's moving at its full Xmax.

Just for a check, I connected this to my left channel and played 2.0 stereo. Vocals are coming, but they didn't sound clear. Trebles are literally not present, and also didn't sound loud. (While my right channel DX12 F200 is super loud and crystal clear)

In a worst case, could there be a defect in the driver itself ?? Don't know at this moment.

IL do some more testing. One final check I can do is to mount my existing Ahuja 12" or Iwai 12" and see how it sound. If they work, then my driver is the culprit. But for testing, I have to cut one more baffle with a 12" hole, and mount it in this box.

So that's the status now.... IL keep trying. And let you know guys :D:D

This is how we learn.. keep ur your work.
Ya.... This design is already a tested one, and our yogibear made it a success. So if I do the right things, mine will also be a success eventually. IL keep trying and exploring, let's see ... . :D

Wait wait..... What driver are using in that dipole horn box ???? Treble and vocals ?????

No my friend, that huge box is for bass only and to be fitted with the 15" bass driver and xoed at around 140 Hz to 100 hz and placed in centre of the two side walls first to test. Its a dipole horn loaded sub bass driver design. And you driver specs are perfect for the job. What amp are you using ?

Our locations are far else I would have helped you nail it. Even would have brought my sub bass amps to demo. (Well in that case, I would have gifted you one of the two boxes I have. I also have a TL box good for 8" driver to give away, if anyone interested.)
I will be using it exclusively for subwoofer duty only. From my AVR sub preouts, it goes to my mono amp and then to 15" driver.

I suspected the driver could be faulty. So for testing purpose, I connected it to my left channel.

That's how I placed it currently. Big window is on my left wall. Two big boxes with black cloth wrapped are my Ahuja 12" boxes, currently worling as my left and right.

Pink box on the right is my iwai 12" sub.

And the dipole 15" is the huge box just below the left window. It's as big as my computer table :p

Driver used is AHUJA AS15 X200.

Last edited:
Haven't done as much troubleshoot as needed. IL check everything including cables. And try placement by the middle of the side wall. (Away from wall if needed)

Too early to judge..... allow me to give some trails....

Check crossover settings on your AVR. There is no reason it should not work but you mentioned treble and vocals ?
:D:D sorry for confusing on that...

To check if the driver is working or not.... I just connected this dipole to my front left channel. ONLY TO TESTING...

If my understanding is correct, this driver is made by the company to use in a two way with tweeter. So if it's working properly, it should give minimum guarantee performance in vocals mids atleast. So I wanted to test it....

Check crossover settings on your AVR. There is no reason it should not work but you mentioned treble and vocals ?
With the same settings, my iwai 12" sub is working fine. Anything could be wrong in the whole chain....let me explore...:)

With the same settings, my iwai 12" sub is working fine. Anything could be wrong in the whole chain....let me explore...:)

Just make sure you have left at least 1.5feet from the wall behind, it needs some spacing to perform well. I am not sure about the particular driver but can vouch for the design. Just to give an idea, I had tested mine for a function in an open auditorium, this was giving non fatigue tight bass even at around 50ft distance, that too driving with just a 100w mono against the rated 250W.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back