2nd Chennai HFV Meet

Hi Guys,

Looking forward to the meet tomorrow.As already two members are bringing CDPs and since my CDP is having some issues i have informed Venkat that i am not bringing my CDP.I will bring my HDD full of HD movies and lots of flac ripped ACDs. If needed they can be used.I was looking forward to hear gannyboy's speakers.Its a pity he is not able attend.If it is needed i am ready to bring the 9.2s.Its upto Bala and Venkat to take the call. See you guys tomorrow.:)

cheers,
sri

All the Best Wishes from us Audiophiles in Delhi/NCR to Chennai Audiophiles for your meet tomorrow.
Hope you listen to lots of music, sample all the goodies on offer, & generally, HAVE A BLAST!!!
We will be with you in Spirit ( as Venkat put it so nicely ) if not in person.
Hope to see pics of the meet & some nice write-ups...

best wishes for a great get-together - and best wishes for a great day of listening!

post pictures of people and equipment - looking for descriptive prose too!

Wow, thats a lot of equipment being demo-ed/auditioned. Nice to see family also being involved in these meets. Take lots of pictures and videos and post pictorial updates.

Have a great day folks !!:)

Kamal, Suri, and Santhosh. From all of us in Chennai, a beeeg Thank You. Actually it has been a long time I have felt so excited about a meeting. More than anything else, I am looking forward to seeing so many people with similar interests.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

The 2nd Chennai meet went on very well today.It was different from the first one in the sense we got to hear lots of music from different sources thro different amplifications.Bala's lyrita's hogged lot of attention and rightly so, cause not many of us are familiar with tube sound.I think either Venkat or Bala will open a separate thread about the meet and let me give my views more elaborately there. I take this opportunity to thank Mr & Mrs Venkat and Bala for all their efforts to make this meet happen.

I have one regret which i am reluctantly want to record here.The morning session was ear marked for audio and the afternoon for videos.After we thought the audio session was over another tube amp which was not at all in the original equation was brought in(i don't even know if it is a member's or not) and most of the members stuck to audio side. And Srinisundar who has volunteered to bring his HD DVD ,BDP and his projector was left high and dry.And i think it was not fair and i apologise to Srinivasan. Guys my humble request is that we should stick to our pre agreed agenda so that no member is unnecessarily put to needles hardship.This is not to blame any one but i felt i should say out what i felt honestly..

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Yes , the meet was a blast.

But thanks Srikar for your words for mentioning me. But it is not like that I felt disappointed or high and dry, but only felt members having spent lot of time they could not get a full glimpse to have a look of the next generation HD.

I am happy to be on witnessing the full glory of tube amp matche with audire and never saw in my life and never heard of such thing, till I entered into this forum. Feel ashamed I am in to advance next generation HD and could not witness it earlier. Thanks to Vortex( Bala) for his patience in playing all the files and to be an event organizer and murali / swami in coordinating and Jeeva for connecting all the equips. Last but first thanks to Venkatcr to organize the meet in the wonderful and calm and comfortable location... Otherwise we could have not enjoyed this.

Thanks again to all visited members and look forward for the next meet:clapping:

Last edited:
The last time I head a tube amp (valves, as we used to call them) was the one in my family 'radiogram' --- even the radios had tubes in those days!

A fascinating day; really enjoyable. Many thanks to those that made it happen :)

Hai all,

It was a wonderful day , all credits to Mr.Venkat and Vortex. Excellent arrangements. The audio session was excellent. I suggest in future we should have exclusive video session showcasing only video eqpts, as time was running out. Many thanks to Mr.swami69 for his photo coverage. Looking forward to the photo posting. Also many thanks to all participants who made it a nice day.

N.Murali

Thanks to all members of the chennai hi fi meet for making it a great success.I am happy to be a part of the meet and enjoyed it thoroughly.Thanks in particular to venkatcr and The vortex for putting in a lot of effort to organise the meet,and others who brought in their AV equipment for audition.

Man, it was a blast! My sincere thanks to Mrs. & Mr. Venkat, for the arrangements, the wonderful venue and not to mention all the toys! I'd also like to thank Bala & his dad (sorry uncle, forgot your name :) ), Swami, Srini, Redd, Capt., and anyone else I might've missed for bringing over your equipment and handling the equipment. More than the gear and the music, I had the pleasure of meeting and enjoying the company of wonderful people (whose names I kept forgetting and mixing up :D ), which alone was worth bunking the office today! :eek:hyeah:

P.S: Cap'n, I think we should ensure that the next meet happens on a non-holiday, what say? :D

Hi

As the song goes "Oru Naal Pothuma" (Is one day enough). Sorry Ram can't help it.

Yes it was enjoyable. More over met some nice and warm forum members with so much taste was amazing.

Yes I think we should have another meet perhaps VIDEO.

Regards
Sub

Video: Panny 32 LCD, PS3, Sony DVP-NS78H, Samsung DVD-P365H, WDTV, Big TV.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V661, Sansui G-5000, Hand Made Towers for stereo, Pioneer Linear Power for HT with Onkyo SL-107 powered sub.

It was a wonderful get-together yesterday in chennai for the Hifi Vision Members. It was great to meet lots of new freinds who had similar interests. The tube amplification from Bala and the Fullrange speakers doing the job were divine. Nice experience.

The comparison between few different sources was interesting and the blind-folded judges' comments after listening to them was very informative. Thanks to all who brought in equipments and who attended in making this meet a good time.

Thanks to Venkat for organising this meet in a lovely venue and some great food for lunch and evening snacks. Very enjoyable.

Some negatives (just for improvement purposes for the next meet as everybody is learning) :
  • More elaborate agenda needs to be derived even to the extent of choosing the songs to be played so that we can stick to a pattern
  • I would also agree that the video session did not get the importance it deserved as it was pushed to the end of the day and some people for sure will be disappointed.

Hope everybody takes it in a right spirit as it is a learning curve and make the next meet more enjoyable.

Thanks to one and all who made this event possible. Awaiting a detailed review from Venkat and the pictures from the meet.

Note : I was hesitant to introduce my "easy to make", DIY fullrange speaker design till yesterday, but after listening to another professionally made full range yesterday and listening to experienced people commenting, i have a benchmark which i can measure mine and confident of opening another thread - watch out !

swami

Hi

........More elaborate agenda needs to be derived even to the extent of choosing the songs to be played so that we can stick to a pattern.....

I totally agree with you swami69 may be we can try and compare .mp3 formats also of the same song just for comparison (how good! or how bad it is) since .mp3 formats have gone to the level of making DTS mp3's we can give it a shot.

Regards

Sub

Video: Panny 32 LCD, PS3, Sony DVP-NS78H, Samsung DVD-P365H, WDTV, Big TV.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V661, Sansui G-5000, Hand Made Towers for stereo, Pioneer Linear Power for HT with Onkyo SL-107 powered sub.

Oh yes, we had a blast, for sure! I am eagerly awaiting Venkat's detailed report on the meet (am sure I am not the only one:)).

Folks - please dont take this as criticism or even as an excuse on the part of the organizers. Please see two posts that I made in this connection (overabundance of equipment and the imperative need to plan out sessions)

http://www.hifivision.com/general-chit-chat/8161-2nd-chennai-hfv-meet-13.html#post109945

http://www.hifivision.com/general-chit-chat/8161-2nd-chennai-hfv-meet-10.html#post107773

We did not really get too much feedback or suggestions unfortunately. So, Venkat did his best to keep things going. And I tried to assist him as did all of you. I agree all the way that we ought to plan out things a little bit more and make the next meet even more enjoyable.

Talking of enjoyment, I had a great day. Grubyhalo, Redd and Srikarkav's son Karthik were most helpful and kind in offering me help with lifting the equipment I had brought (remember, my left hand is still not one hundred percent). I had several bouts of interesting discussions with Grubyhalo, Rajiv, Thad, Murali and others. The blind listening tests were fabulous. But the subjects of these tests must be lauded for their patience while we switched equipment - all the while (hopefully) with kerchiefs tied tightly over their eyes. (Venkat, Grubyhalo and Captain Rajesh were the lucky souls!)

Srinisundar and family were exceptionally patient while the audio crowd had a blast. Thank you sir and do tell Shreya (his daughter) that the next meet will only begin after a blast of her favourite Vettaikaran songs!

Swami was always on the lookout for subjects for photographs and I am sure the photos are another eagerly awaited item. His turntable was a revelation on a few tracks played - little to no popping and crackling on some of the better recordings that members had brought in.

Last but not the least - lets raise one more cheer for Venkat, without whom none of this would have been possible. Psst..psst, Venkat - do you think the club will still let out their premises for another HFV meet even after all the noise we made? :) Of course as Captain Rajesh would be sure to chip in - on a non-dry day :).

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back