46inch BRAVIA or SAMSUNG and LED or LCD

haisaikat

Hi,
This is my first post. I am planning to upgrade from my existing 21inch CRT to flat screen LCD. The TV will be for my living room at around 8 to 10 feet viewing distance and will run for mostly 10 to 12 hours per day (majority of which will be post afternoon till 10 at night with only 2 to 3 hours in the morning) daily with a bit more over the weekends with not more than 5 to 6 hours at one single stretch. The TV will be used mostly for viewing TV serials using a DTH and weekend movie viewing from a HD source like DVD or Network Media Player as of now although I am looking for HTiBs (separate post in this forum). The room will be moderately lit during the day and night but will hardly be complete dark.

I am looking for a tv size around 46 inches with a budget around 1 lakh rupees (thanks to EMI options of course) and I hope that for an investment like this the TV will last for at least 10 years.

I have shortlisted

BRAVIA 46EX400 (LCD, 50Hz, no Motionflow) --> Costs around 80K
46EX710 (Edge Lit LED, 100Hz Motionflow, presence sensor) from SONY --> Costs around 99K

and on the SAMSUNG side my list includes

LA46C550(LCD, 50Hz, no motionflow) --> costs around 80K
LA46C650 (LCD,100Hz, Motionflow) --> costs around 1.1 lakh
UA46C6200 (Edge Lit LED, 100Hz, Motionflow) although this is approx 1.21lakh

I have not considered LG or Panasonic in this list since I have heard that SONY and SAMSUNG rules in this area. But do correct me if I am wrong. I was not able to consider plasmas since they demand huge power and during summer my home runs on inverter on some occasions when there is power cut and I do not want to purchase a TV that will be an enemy of the inverter under crisis (power cuts) situations and increase my problems.

Can someone please help me in this regard?

Last edited:
Forget all these models and go for any local dimming LED. Otherwise go for normal CCFL LCD. Why pay a premium for side-lit LED when the advantage over CCFL wrt PQ is almost nil (though it will consume less power)? And with regard to local dimming LED, LG has some really good models. If you can get a local dimming LED with IPS panel then go for it.

I checked LG website and found the following two models namely 47LE5500 and 47LE4600 both seem to be LED with advanced IPS panel and another one 47LD650 which is a non-LED LCD with IPS Panel. But none of them show whether it is a EDGE Lit or Local Dimming set. Are these what you are suggesting? My budget is near around 1lac.

If I'm not mistaken the LE series are local dimming; the SL series are side lit LED. LD series is traditional CCFL LCD. 47LE5500 is listed at more than 1 lakh MRP but MOP should be under 1 lakh.

thanks for this great piece of information. Do you have any idea on Lg after service and if with 10 to 12 hours of daily run under a normal lit room these tvs will last for at least 10 yrs .

thanks for this great piece of information. Do you have any idea on Lg after service and if with 10 to 12 hours of daily run under a normal lit room these tvs will last for at least 10 yrs .

Ha, that's the million dollar question which I guess we will find out only after 10 years, and judging by the pace at which the technology is changing this present tech will probably be obsolete by that time thus necessitating you to buy a new tech based TV by that time. As far as LG service is concerned, many forum members have had happy experiences with LG.... the same cannot be said for Samsung or Sony.

P.S.: If you are willing to sacrifice size for better picture quality then consider the 42" LG LE8500, a local dimming LED. The black levels are really good, and I mean really good = disappear into the darkness, kind of blacks.

I think LE 5500 is a local dimming LED,where as LE 5300 and LE 4600 are not.
LG LED models are absolute VFM,priced alomost on par with LCD models of SAMSUNG and SONY

P.S.: If you are willing to sacrifice size for better picture quality then consider the 42" LG LE8500, a local dimming LED. The black levels are really good, and I mean really good = disappear into the darkness, kind of blacks.

I checked the website and the MRP is 1.54 lakhs. Although dealer will allow discount but the same will be still way over my budget. However I saw that on the LG website this model is rated as FULL LED and the 47LE5500 is listed as LED PLUS. Do you know what is the difference between these two?

Hmm am about to buy an LCD TV here..trying to decide between the Sony Bravia KDL46EX500 or the LG 42 LE5300(could be the LE5500 i forget)

I lova panasonic plasmas..but that 50 inch is a 1000$ while the Sony i can get for 600.

Besides, I might as well get the Panasonic TC P58S2 as it just came on sale for 1100$. Unless the G25 is significantly better for some reason

Don't think i want to spend that much on a fracking TV which is sure to go down in price within a year.

I lova panasonic plasmas..but that 50 inch is a 1000$ while the Sony i can get for 600.

Besides, I might as well get the Panasonic TC P58S2 as it just came on sale for 1100$. Unless the G25 is significantly better for some reason

600$ for 46" ex500 Sony is a good deal.

G25 or v20 or VT25 is much better than S2 in all aspects of picture quality.

Other option you may want to consider is 50" 7 series Samsung plasma.

Right...well i'll look out for a G25 panny plasma on a deal..the Sony was out of stock but i got a raincheck so when it comes back in stock at Frys i can buy it for 600$..also bought a PS3 + 75$ Amazon free credit for 300.

Moving to my new place on christmas weekend..hoping to have myself setup woth everything by the newyears..else i can wait a while for the TV..

I checked the website and the MRP is 1.54 lakhs. Although dealer will allow discount but the same will be still way over my budget. However I saw that on the LG website this model is rated as FULL LED and the 47LE5500 is listed as LED PLUS. Do you know what is the difference between these two?

FULL LED and LED PLUS??? I think they should be one and the same. Just different terminology to further confuse the consumer. In any event, I don't think you can go wrong with the LE8500 though the 5" screen difference should make a strong case in favour of the 47LE5500 (not that the 47LE5500 is bad in any way, just that the LE8500 is 2 good).

FULL LED and LED PLUS??? I think they should be one and the same. Just different terminology to further confuse the consumer. In any event, I don't think you can go wrong with the LE8500 though the 5" screen difference should make a strong case in favour of the 47LE5500 (not that the 47LE5500 is bad in any way, just that the LE8500 is 2 good).

the LE8500 will push me miles over my budget hence let me then go to an LG store and see the LE5500. However I was wondering that EDGE Lit SONY and SAMSUNGs are in the range 99000 (BRAVIA 46EX710) to 121000 (SAMSUNG UA46C6200) at the entry level and then LG is offering local dimming sets at a price below that (I checked the price over the phone today around 95000) seems unbelievable. Also I think LE5500 is low on features as compared to SONY / SAMSUNG in respect of features like 24P True Cinema of SONY, or Ambient sensor of SONY / SAMSUNG or further presence sensor of SONY. What do you think?

I just checked a couple of other links and finally found that LE5500 is actually the same old edge lit LED with area based local dimming but not a full back lit local dimming LED set. It is also been said in other reviews that the local dimming did not add much advantage over normal edge lit models. However I will still check it out in one of the stores.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-infinia-47le8500/4505-6482_7-33957045.html

the LE8500 will push me miles over my budget hence let me then go to an LG store and see the LE5500. However I was wondering that EDGE Lit SONY and SAMSUNGs are in the range 99000 (BRAVIA 46EX710) to 121000 (SAMSUNG UA46C6200) at the entry level and then LG is offering local dimming sets at a price below that (I checked the price over the phone today around 95000) seems unbelievable. Also I think LE5500 is low on features as compared to SONY / SAMSUNG in respect of features like 24P True Cinema of SONY, or Ambient sensor of SONY / SAMSUNG or further presence sensor of SONY. What do you think?

Presence sensor of SONY? Look sir, this is just a fancy gimmick. I suppose this is a feature that automatically switches off the TV when there is no motion detected in the room after x number of hours. The sleep timer function is just as good and useful. This presence sensor will just give you one major advantage: it will give you bragging rights over your friends. And even then, if you want to show them how it actually works you will have to sit motionless in the room for those number of hours it takes to turn off!!:D
The point I'm trying to make is that it is an unnecessary feature, and definitely should not influence your purchasing decision. As for ambient sensor, if it is the feature that automatically adjusts the backlight setting according to the amount of light in the room, then I think every manufacturer has their own version of it. LG has it under Eco saving. If you set it to AUTO then the backlight will dim or brighten according to the light in the room, though it is always best to set the backlight yourself.
If the LE5500 is an edge lit model, then best to go audition the Sony and Samsung models also and then decide which model is best according to you.
But if you decide on the LE8500, then there is really no competition, bigger screens notwithstanding.

^Well it does have a presence sensor,its not big or expensive feature to implement and some Sony 3d tv automatically adjust the picture setting such as backlight and brightness depending on where the person is in the room,not sure if its present in the HX800.

But coming to performance the HX800 is one of the best tvs sold in indian market,comes with limited localized dimming not a full local dimming tv,but has a panel with natively good blacks ,its has a deep black panel which means despite being glossy has coatings to reduce glare,compared to some rival lcds and sony very own NX range which has a mirror like finish .

But Sony has limited stocks and was mostly not available in most places due to the huge demand of this tv.The addition of freebies like blu ray player, BD movies ,a pair of 3d glasses makes it a rather good deal.

If the LE5500 is an edge lit model, then best to go audition the Sony and Samsung models also and then decide which model is best according to you.
But if you decide on the LE8500, then there is really no competition, bigger screens notwithstanding.

I will surely check that out, seems I need to ask the ezone guys to put all these side by side and then compare otherwise seeing them in different shops will not be a good comparison. Unless I tell them that I will be buying they may not entertain me. Seems deciding and buying has to be done on the same day.

But coming to performance the HX800 is one of the best tvs sold in indian market,comes with limited localized dimming not a full local dimming tv,but has a panel with natively good blacks ,its has a deep black panel which means despite being glossy has coatings to reduce glare,compared to some rival lcds and sony very own NX range which has a mirror like finish .

I saw that the 40 incher HX800 MRP is 1.2 lakhs so way beyond the actual budget and also lesser than 46 inches when I am getting 47 inches edge lit models from LG 47LE5500 in less than 1 lakh with limited local dimming.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back