Any single malt afficionados here?

Have a good trip to Goa and picked up the following
1. Ardmore Single Malt - Really well priced and quite good.
2. Woodburn - This is a Goan blended whiskey, which is really smooth and pleasant to drink. Its a small family based distillery which has done a great job and its something we should be proud of.

Can you explain what this is?
Interested to know what this means.

L1 is a type of license for whole sellers/bonded warehouses (somebody can be more specific, I have only half baked knowledge on the matter) and these shops also sell to the public. Basically, that translates into Rs.6500 for a bottle of Lagavulin, 5500 for Ardbeg, 2700 for a Glenmorangie, 2100 for Black Label, 2300 for Bowmore, 3600 for Balvenie, 3700 for both Laphroaig (quarter cask as well as 10 years) and Caol Ila etc. you get the picture. Thanks to L1, I have a terrific bar :D

The Lockdown has taught me many things. One of these is related to this thread

1. Prices of Alcohol are crazily different in different parts of India. For Single malts esp. the price in Delhi and Goa are roughly half of prices in Bangalore. Prices in Chandigarh are 20% cheaper than prices in Delhi. L1 rates are cheaper than even Defence Canteen rates!!!
2. As per IATA rules, 5 litres of Alcohol are allowed in domestic travel per person!!! This translates to around 6 bottles of 750ml.
3. Interstate Road/Train allows for 2 litres of Liquor to be transported
4. Prices of Indian Whiskey like Amrut/Paul Johns are almost the same in Blr or Goa
5. Delhi T3 terminal has a liquor shop in the airport which you can then carry in cabin, else you have to check-in.

Hope this helps.

1. Prices of Alcohol are crazily different in different parts of India. For Single malts esp. the price in Delhi and Goa are roughly half of prices in Bangalore. Prices in Chandigarh are 20% cheaper than prices in Delhi. L1 rates are cheaper than even Defence Canteen rates!!!
2. As per IATA rules, 5 litres of Alcohol are allowed in domestic travel per person!!! This translates to around 6 bottles of 750ml.
4. Prices of Indian Whiskey like Amrut/Paul Johns are almost the same in Blr or Goa
5. Delhi T3 terminal has a liquor shop in the airport which you can then carry in cabin, else you have to check-in.

Hope this helps.
There is ambiguity in point no 3. As with traffic rules, you are at mercy of officer who caught you. I was unable to find any documented proof of this claim. Further some shopkeepers gives you transit licence or similar, but again many police officers don't accept that.

Hope this helps.
....and surprisingly for once the price of Hibiki in Bangalore was less than in Goa by 1K

Hope this helps.

Are you sure about point no.3 , you are not allowed to carry Interstate Road/Train unless its movement into one of the Union Territories. Been numerous times to Goa on road , each time we have been asked to stop and checked for any alcohol bottles. One time we said we purchased permits, that's when he showed the reverse side of the slip (which had the UT names mentioned ) and made us pay another grand as money for pockets (the alcohol in there was just worth 2 grand odd).

Are you sure about point no.3 , you are not allowed to carry Interstate Road/Train unless its movement into one of the Union Territories. Been numerous times to Goa on road , each time we have been asked to stop and checked for any alcohol bottles. One time we said we purchased permits, that's when he showed the reverse side of the slip (which had the UT names mentioned ) and made us pay another grand as money for pockets (the alcohol in there was just worth 2 grand odd).
I checked the excise rules and can confirm it, but each state has different laws as alcohol is a state excise subject. But, its still a PITA and the cops will want to make money out of it. Its sometimes good to have a sacrifice bottle for this :)

Ok, checked again. Goa Excise gives a permit which is allowed for certain states (doesnt include Maharashtra or Karnataka) for upto 2l. For the rest, you are not allowed by road. But at current ticket prices, going to Chandigarh and back pays for itself.

Last edited:
L1 is a type of license for whole sellers/bonded warehouses (somebody can be more specific, I have only half baked knowledge on the matter) and these shops also sell to the public. Basically, that translates into Rs.6500 for a bottle of Lagavulin, 5500 for Ardbeg, 2700 for a Glenmorangie, 2100 for Black Label, 2300 for Bowmore, 3600 for Balvenie, 3700 for both Laphroaig (quarter cask as well as 10 years) and Caol Ila etc. you get the picture. Thanks to L1, I have a terrific bar :D
these are unbelievable prices, is this legal/authentic?
i am in bangalore and pay hefty prices

Though i drink only on social and special occasions, I love my peaty whiskies.. Laphroig, Ardmore and Talisker one of my favourites. Non peaty - Glenmorangie, Glenlivet are up there!

I checked the excise rules and can confirm it, but each state has different laws as alcohol is a state excise subject. But, its still a PITA and the cops will want to make money out of it. Its sometimes good to have a sacrifice bottle for this :)

Ok, checked again. Goa Excise gives a permit which is allowed for certain states (doesnt include Maharashtra or Karnataka) for upto 2l. For the rest, you are not allowed by road. But at current ticket prices, going to Chandigarh and back pays for itself.

Haha true that, sacrifice for the greater cause is always needed :D

these are unbelievable prices, is this legal/authentic?
i am in bangalore and pay hefty prices
I know and i can empathize.

I find it impossible to buy alcohol by the bottle from liquor shops elsewhere in India cuz of the prices that I get my alcohol from in Gurgaon (back home in Assam, a bottle of Lagavulin is approx. 13.5K and Glenmorangie around 6.5K).

While I'm no connoisseur of whiskey to make a definitive statement that the same is authentic since I've been a lifelong beer drinker and I stock the whiskey only for friends who visit, something that I'm afraid they avail a little too often for comfort, the beer that I get from L1 is definitely the real deal. And yes, beer is also available in L1 for incredible prices - a crate of Hoegaarden, Leffe or Corona is usually available for 2400 to 2640, Bira Blonde between 2400 for two crates to 1440 for a crate depending on stock/shop and so and and so forth.

But chandigarh prices are way more expensive than Gurgaon :)

But then again, Gurgaon is not the cheapest place to get alcohol in (or rather 'into') India, provided one is willing to make a bit of an effort.

Something that our friends from Gujarat derive great advantage from! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to ask again, but any thing similar to L1 of gurgaon exist in Mumbai?

I know of wholesalers e.g Shah wines & Peekey wines at Crawford who gives discounts approx 10% on beers and Whisky, nothing close to L1 still

I know and i can empathize.

I find it impossible to buy alcohol by the bottle from liquor shops elsewhere in India cuz of the prices that I get my alcohol from in Gurgaon (back home in Assam, a bottle of Lagavulin is approx. 13.5K and Glenmorangie around 6.5K).

While I'm no connoisseur of whiskey to make a definitive statement that the same is authentic since I've been a lifelong beer drinker and I stock the whiskey only for friends who visit, something that I'm afraid they avail a little too often for comfort, the beer that I get from L1 is definitely the real deal. And yes, beer is also available in L1 for incredible prices - a crate of Hoegaarden, Leffe or Corona is usually available for 2400 to 2640, Bira Blonde between 2400 for two crates to 1440 for a crate depending on stock/shop and so and and so forth.
Is there a way you can confirm (either through your friends or family or if other members here can confirm) if the scotches are authentic, then a visit to delhi makes a lot of sense to pick up stock

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back