Better OLEDs this year.LG G1 vs Sony A90J comparison

I think he should have waited for the C2, if you ask me :rolleyes:
Covid has raised uncertainties. So TVs are fast becoming a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. A 1979 born street friend of mine who congratulated me for me winning 1992 National under 14 chess championship is no more. I was born in May 79 and he in Jan. Just four months older but succumbed to Covid just last week. In 4 days is my birthday but I am not in a mood to even celebrate it. I have played cricket with him in 90s. Can't believe a flu has taken him away last week. His son is just two years older than my children. Let's be glad we wake up each day and enjoy each day as it comes.

Covid has raised uncertainties. So TVs are fast becoming a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. A 1979 born street friend of mine who congratulated me for me winning 1992 National under 14 chess championship is no more. I was born in May 79 and he in Jan. Just four months older but succumbed to Covid just last week. In 4 days is my birthday but I am not in a mood to even celebrate it. I have played cricket with him in 90s. Can't believe a flu has taken him away last week. His son is just two years older than my children. Let's be glad we wake up each day and enjoy each day as it comes.
Facing a similar dilemma - whether to spend 1.5 Lakhs on the Sony X9000h or not. Feels way too much to spend, but not like the wife and I are traveling anywhere, anytime soon. Trying to get approval. Oh and sorry for your loss. It's definitely a scary time right now with too many such sad instances happening to near and dear.

Facing a similar dilemma - whether to spend 1.5 Lakhs on the Sony X9000h or not. Feels way too much to spend, but not like the wife and I are traveling anywhere, anytime soon. Trying to get approval. Oh and sorry for your loss. It's definitely a scary time right now with too many such sad instances happening to near and dear.
1.5 on x90H is too much. Its a pretty mediocre TV. Get CX which is just much better for few thousand more (65 inch).

Maybe wait for diwali then. People got CX for 1.6-1.7 lakhs around that time.
I'd honestly go for a 55 inch rather than x90H. It's night and day difference.
Nothing like an OLED. The FALD TVs will eventually make you realise they are mere LCD TVs. But then what works for OLEDs and what works for FALDs I will detail you here based on my experience...

FALDs compensate the lack of ink blacks they locally dim using arrays of back lighting which makes you notice a haloing effect. They are still grey and not blacks.

But you get to notice some details in shadows which the OLEDs just turn individual pixels off and so to make the transition into OLEDs, you have to mentally prepare for that. But once it sets or sinks in, you will never like LCD displays anymore.
OLED TVs are ideal for HDR movie content like Netflix, Amazon Prime, likewise other HD OTT stuff. But if you are going to watch SDR content, predominantly, it can be avoided. For SDR and 720 hd ready content, the OLED TVs will not upscale it to your liking like FALD picture processors do. It would look a bit dim.
If you are going to watch news channels with static logos and would not vary the content much, LCDs are your best bet. Now VA panels(9000H) give a good contrast but when you flank-watch at extreme angles the colours look washed out. This is where OLEDs score. Bigger the better is a very overrated notion by many. I got sucked into that trap as well. Well, bigger screens are only good when you don't have an alternative to move your couch within the recommended viewing distance. 55" TVs can give the same immersive experience as 65" when you move closer. It is just a matter of simple trigonometric ratios. 55" TV's have better pixel density and so what the previous poster recommended is true. 55" OLED will trump 9000H easily. LG or Sony, go for an OLED and you will never regret. Sometimes in Netflix you can see characters like they are out there in flesh and blood standing before you in OLED which is why it is a cut above a high end LCD TV.

Maybe wait for diwali then. People got CX for 1.6-1.7 lakhs around that time.
I'd honestly go for a 55 inch rather than x90H. It's night and day difference.
Diwali seems sooo far away though. But I do get your point. Anyway it's lockdown time here in Bangalore and Amazon has stopped all but essential deliveries. So have to wait anyway, let's see how the prices move in the next month or 2.
Nothing like an OLED. The FALD TVs will eventually make you realise they are mere LCD TVs. But then what works for OLEDs and what works for FALDs I will detail you here based on my experience...

FALDs compensate the lack of ink blacks they locally dim using arrays of back lighting which makes you notice a haloing effect. They are still grey and not blacks.

But you get to notice some details in shadows which the OLEDs just turn individual pixels off and so to make the transition into OLEDs, you have to mentally prepare for that. But once it sets or sinks in, you will never like LCD displays anymore.
OLED TVs are ideal for HDR movie content like Netflix, Amazon Prime, likewise other HD OTT stuff. But if you are going to watch SDR content, predominantly, it can be avoided. For SDR and 720 hd ready content, the OLED TVs will not upscale it to your liking like FALD picture processors do. It would look a bit dim.
If you are going to watch news channels with static logos and would not vary the content much, LCDs are your best bet. Now VA panels(9000H) give a good contrast but when you flank-watch at extreme angles the colours look washed out. This is where OLEDs score. Bigger the better is a very overrated notion by many. I got sucked into that trap as well. Well, bigger screens are only good when you don't have an alternative to move your couch within the recommended viewing distance. 55" TVs can give the same immersive experience as 65" when you move closer. It is just a matter of simple trigonometric ratios. 55" TV's have better pixel density and so what the previous poster recommended is true. 55" OLED will trump 9000H easily. LG or Sony, go for an OLED and you will never regret. Sometimes in Netflix you can see characters like they are out there in flesh and blood standing before you in OLED which is why it is a cut above a high end LCD TV.
OK that is some sales pitch! My viewing is 100% OTT, and gaming on PS4/Xbox One on weekends. Hope to get a PS5 at some point when it's not as scarce as vaccine slots for 18+ here so was looking to get a TV with at least 2 120Hz HDMI inputs which is how I had gotten to the Sony and the LG ones. Anyway, maybe I will wait for some more time - my 6+ year old 42 inch LG 3D still works perfectly (as my wife keeps reminding me). Thanks guys!

Diwali seems sooo far away though. But I do get your point. Anyway it's lockdown time here in Bangalore and Amazon has stopped all but essential deliveries. So have to wait anyway, let's see how the prices move in the next month or 2.

OK that is some sales pitch! My viewing is 100% OTT, and gaming on PS4/Xbox One on weekends. Hope to get a PS5 at some point when it's not as scarce as vaccine slots for 18+ here so was looking to get a TV with at least 2 120Hz HDMI inputs which is how I had gotten to the Sony and the LG ones. Anyway, maybe I will wait for some more time - my 6+ year old 42 inch LG 3D still works perfectly (as my wife keeps reminding me). Thanks guys!
My wife is also upset I spent 4 lakhs over two TVs in less than 6 months. She keeps thinking of how beautiful a diamond studded gold neckless would look, locked in a locker instead. I always play a youtube video from those big screens on jewellery content ;) to pacify her!

For gaming, keep in mind that Sony TVs don't support VRR. If you're planning to get Xbox Series S/X or gaming with PC, that's a very important feature to have to reduce tearing. Also if you use eARC for a soundbar/AVR you will only have 1 HDMI 2.1 port left on the Sony.

For gaming, keep in mind that Sony TVs don't support VRR. If you're planning to get Xbox Series S/X or gaming with PC, that's a very important feature to have to reduce tearing. Also if you use eARC for a soundbar/AVR you will only have 1 HDMI 2.1 port left on the Sony.
Oh, I thought Sony added in VRR through an update recently? I have an old Yamaha Home theatre system so I'll probably just use a TOSLINK to it for the audio alone. Home theatre upgrade will have to be at a later time Will keep this aspect in mind for sure.

Oh, I thought Sony added in VRR through an update recently?
No, what they did is promise VRR at a later date. But some(like HDTVTest) are saying that the Mediatek SoC that the 2020/21 Sony TVs are using is broken for proper VRR implementation so it might not be possible at all.

Though if you're getting PS5 it's pointless as the PS5 itself doesn't support VRR. The Series X is a better machine this gen anyway (VRR, 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 v/s 32Gbps on PS5, game pass, faster hardware, better-looking design).

Sony concentrates more on upscaling and picture processing rather than other bells and whistles and they are gradually losing out young demographic customers by not being ahead in AV technology adjuncts such as VRR and stuff. Being segment leaders in brand image so far, they are risking going downhill from here if they do not cater to the needs of the younger generation. LG on the other hand are stabilising/consolidating their upper hand in state of the art technology implementation. Uncle Sam is the clever player by providing old wine in a brand new bottle glittering to almost look gold attracting the wider crowd. I think LG OLEDs are the choices that get the best of both worlds at affordable price tags. Just my opinion.

No, what they did is promise VRR at a later date. But some(like HDTVTest) are saying that the Mediatek SoC that the 2020/21 Sony TVs are using is broken for proper VRR implementation so it might not be possible at all.

Though if you're getting PS5 it's pointless as the PS5 itself doesn't support VRR. The Series X is a better machine this gen anyway (VRR, 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 v/s 32Gbps on PS5, game pass, faster hardware, better-looking design).
Well I will get both the consoles at some point, but at this time both are quite rare and not easy to get a hold of. I became a majorly PS gamer last gen when Xbox really dropped the ball with the Xbox One. Havent switched on my Day 1 Xbox One for almost 2 years now due to how bad the scene was for games, plus more availability of PS4 games on the secondary market in comparison.

Sony concentrates more on upscaling and picture processing rather than other bells and whistles and they are gradually losing out young demographic customers by not being ahead in AV technology adjuncts such as VRR and stuff. Being segment leaders in brand image so far, they are risking going downhill from here if they do not cater to the needs of the younger generation. LG on the other hand are stabilising/consolidating their upper hand in state of the art technology implementation. Uncle Sam is the clever player by providing old wine in a brand new bottle glittering to almost look gold attracting the wider crowd. I think LG OLEDs are the choices that get the best of both worlds at affordable price tags. Just my opinion.
I'm definitely surprised as to how they don't even highlight gaming features on their TVs, or provide a lot of basic gaming features, considering they make one of the bestselling gaming consoles.

Well I will get both the consoles at some point, but at this time both are quite rare and not easy to get a hold of. I became a majorly PS gamer last gen when Xbox really dropped the ball with the Xbox One. Havent switched on my Day 1 Xbox One for almost 2 years now due to how bad the scene was for games, plus more availability of PS4 games on the secondary market in comparison.
Yeah, PS4 really got a leg up last generation but Xbox Series X IMO is the winner this time.

Gamepass and gamepass ultimate make paying massive money for games pointless and give you a huge selection to choose from. On top of it, it's great for indie game devs as well since they get massive exposure boost.

I also like the direction Microsoft is going since a few years. Windows has improved so much that I prefer using it over MacOS now. Sony on the other hand is still stuck in the old ways.

Sony A80J 77 Inch is cheaper than C1 in USA.This is a welcome surprise.I really wish that this trend should continue here in diwali.But given sonys track record I don't have high hope.

Sony A80J 77 Inch is cheaper than C1 in USA.This is a welcome surprise.I really wish that this trend should continue here in diwali.But given sonys track record I don't have high hope.

first 77" won't launch here, second Sony is considered a Premium Brand in India so i wouldn't dream about it being the same price as the 65" C1, catch at least 20-30% more then the C1 price. US Market is different then the Indian Market.

first 77" won't launch here, second Sony is considered a Premium Brand in India so i wouldn't dream about it being the same price as the 65" C1, catch at least 20-30% more then the C1 price. US Market is different then the Indian Market.
I know that's why i said i wish but don't have high hopes.

I know that's why i said i wish but don't have high hopes.
Yup, all we can do is wish really, even in Europe & UK there is no price cut on the 77" A80J & those are important markets for Sony.

We are way way behind all markets when it comes to Premium Tv sales. So we can't expect Sony India to follow the same it does for the US Market. You can wish for this to happen during Diwali but for me i know it will never happen ;)
Just get the C1 if you are looking for an Oled simple.

Cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back