Checklist to avoid buying Demo Piece - LCD /Plasma Tv

rpanand, gollum,

you press settings and then the red button and scroll to select the service menu. It will give you the hours used and model/serial number

It does not say anything about working hours...Just gives me information about serial number, technical support, firmware version etc... Is there another way to get this information?

It does not say anything about working hours...Just gives me information about serial number, technical support, firmware version etc... Is there another way to get this information?
What's your TV model? I just checked again and I see the used time under Service Info.

2a7f885d70c3f79f3fb4bafd64dd4318.jpg

What's your TV model? I just checked again and I see the used time under Service Info.

2a7f885d70c3f79f3fb4bafd64dd4318.jpg
My model is 32lb5610 and I am planing to to replace it for 32lb561v ( I think that they are similar except 32lb561 has built in dvbT2 ). I have done what you said I should. I have pressed "settings" and then red button on the bottom left of the remote and I got this.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 196
^ If not yet found... see below

With the TV in standby,
> Press the INFO > MENU > MUTE > POWER buttons quickly on the remote.
> The TV will turn On with the Service Menu.
> Press down arrow till SVC
> Press right arrow to open SVC menu.
> There you'll see the panel used hours
> Press power button to end it.
Do it very carefully !!!

Hope this helps...
worked on my samsung-will it also wk on a new lg led i plan to buy

worked on my samsung-will it also wk on a new lg led i plan to buy

Its different for LG TV.

LG TV with WebOS, do as below.

Press menu, go to setting (top-right corner gear mark) > hit 'General' > hit 'About this TV'. There you will see 'Total Power on Time' in hours.

If the TV is not WebOS, then let me know.

Dear members, as I'm planning to get a sony bravia in the next couple of days - wanted to get this valuable advice. Understand that we can check the usage hours of the LED panels using the service code.
Question is - Is it possible for to reset these counters using the "factory reset" option ? In case of Sony, there counters - namely Total usage in hours , Boot count , LED panel usage hours are displayed on the service screen. Curious to know if all / any of these counters indeed do reset to "Zero" upon performing a factory reset ?

If there's any way I can thank the contributions to this thread, it's probably only by contributing back to it. I did the mistake of not checking this thread thinking that I know how to check the usage hours and so that would be sufficient.

Read on to know my story, which is still not resolved!

I finalized on LG 49LF6300 and checked a few stores. Everywhere I asked for the remote but didn't actually check the usage hours. I finally decided on the price and went to Modern Electronics, Chinchwad.
The reason : 5 years back, I bought a TV, washing machine and a fridge there. I liked the service and so went there and quoted a price. They were ok with that.

It's Gudi Padwa and they said they already have five orders. I said I'm not in a hurry and asked them to let me know when they have the stock delivered.

Surprisingly they call me up the next day in the afternoon to inform that the stock has arrived. It's a Saturday. I reach there at 07:30pm and reiterate that I'll be checking the usage hours. I'm promised that a fresh unit will be sent from the warehouse.
First mistake : I should've gotten cautious and noted down the serial number and usage of the display unit. I did not.

By 10pm the TV is delivered to me.
Second mistake : I should've checked the packing, properly. By properly I mean the bottom of the pack too. More on this will follow.

I was promised that a service engineer visit will be arranged on Sunday. So I didn't open the pack and waited. Finally the SE didn't turn up. So I called them up, said I'll mount it on a stand.
I opened the pack and the panel is clean. No suspicion.
I mounted it and switched it on. The webos welcome screen popped up. No suspicion.
Upon initialization I checked the usage hours. 33 hours For me: BIG suspicion. For wife : She said, they must've tested it and so the usage hours.

WP_20160411_16_57_39_Pro.jpg

Noticed that the borders didn't come with the plastic film. The right side border had some scratches too.

WP_20160411_21_01_51_Pro.jpg

I'm still uneasy. Monday is a holiday for the showroom. So I called up the SA who worked on this deal. No response; left a message. No callback. So I shot an email to their email address with a pic of the usage hours. No response. I began to feel bad. They sounded so genuine and were happy that I'm a loyal customer returning back to them.

I called up LG customer care and asked "shouldn't new TVs come with 0 hours of usage?". They responded with a "YES". I called up again. "Sir, if it's showing 33 hours, then it must've been used. Contact the dealer".

On Tuesday, I called up the SA. He very nicely explained that these are the testing hours at the factory and he has seen OLED TVs with 300hours. If I'm still not happy he said he'll replace it.
That had me thinking : Wife said the same too. Maybe I'm overreacting. But my heart said : Whatever be the case : Why should I get a TV which is used? I paid for a new TV set!!

Then today I got a call from my wife. Accidentally she noticed something and whatsapp'ed me the below images.
Hearing her explain, I had a feeling which I can't explain; Maybe that's called the feeling of being cheated :rolleyes:

We usually do not bother checking the packing at the bottom. If you notice, LG used a tape which had the saw-cut. So all they did was slice it open; take out the TV; do whatever; put it back in and used a normal tape on top of LG's tape. Both are transparent and so they thought no one would notice. Moreover notice that the metal pins on the bottom are removed!!

WP_20160413_16_15_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20160413_16_15_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20160413_16_17_34_Pro.jpg

I sent them to the SA, called him up and asked him to explain that. He fumbled; said that maybe they opened it at the factory for testing. I just said that I'm not happy. He said he'll replace it with a fresh unit. But then, "Sir, you shouldn't have wall-mounted it. It's registered with LG in your name. It'll be a problem..blah..blah. I'll still try to replace it for you".

We went to the showroom this evening. Biggest Surprise The demo unit is missing :mad: If only I noted down the serial earlier or If I had opened the pack immediately after the delivery, checked the usage and went to the showroom, it would've been a different story.

All through this episode, what's good to note is the friendly nature of the SA. Not once did he argue or talk rudely. I just said that I want it replaced. I explained how particular I'm about things and how they disappointed me.
He turned towards his Boss and said, "Sir says the unit is used and wants it to be replaced. Do we have stock?". As expected the answer was "No Sir, it'll take one week". I said "You gave me this TV in one day??".

They were very polite. So I said, "I've posted this in the forums, our pune WA groups about how nicely you treated me as a loyal customer. Please do not break it. I'll not use that TV and will keep it disconnected."

The owner said "Sir, be assured. You can watch the TV and we will make all efforts to procure the stock and provide a fresh piece".

I'm not the type who can argue, talk cleverly or intelligently. Maybe that's an inbuilt fault of mine. So I asked them again to get it asap and came back home.

Friends, this is my experience. I thought I should start a new thread, but then posted here as I want people to know how important it is to read this thread and not fall into traps. What I encountered is probably new, a very clever manipulation.

Can you also suggest if I should highlight this to LG. Are there any other channels other than the helpline and email? Should I wait till one week, keeping my faith in the dealer?

Thank you for reading,

Ravi

Please make sure LG knows about this incident. Another way of being safe is to make sure that the dealer has that particular model in stock and once the purchase is made, take the tv with you right away.

Please make sure LG knows about this incident. Another way of being safe is to make sure that the dealer has that particular model in stock and once the purchase is made, take the tv with you right away.

Thanks for the reply. Yeh, I've raised a complaint and also used the escalation form last night. The dealer said he doesn't have it in stock and will order it. He says it'll take one week :(

You have been cheated mate. Only thing you can do is, go to that store with som of your friends/relatives make some noise, let others who come to purchase also notice you. Ask them to return your money. If they insist on giving a fresh piece, dont blankly accept 1 week's time. Ask them for a specific date and time and tell them to give it in written format. Get that done by their manager...not by any sales executive. Make voice..then only you will get a fresh piece.

VIJAY SALES has also sold me a Demo piece inspite of warning him before payment.
He assured ye it will be brand new sealed etc .

Later he says ok best we can do is refund. But the problem is tht model is not available anywhere else

VIJAY SALES has also sold me a Demo piece inspite of warning him before payment.
He assured ye it will be brand new sealed etc .

Later he says ok best we can do is refund. But the problem is tht model is not available anywhere else

If your preferred model is not available, check for the same configuration in other brands. I am sure you will find a matching TV in a different brand. Get back the money and buy another TV. Dont stay cheated.

Thank you for all your support guys. LG called me up and asked me to contact the area sales mgr. He in turn said, since LG's reputation is at stake he'll replace the TV. But then he stopped answering my calls.
Luckily I was in contact with the dealer too. He said that he too got a call from LG and is trying to get a new unit asap.

I do not know what happened, but one day back, the dealer called and asked me to come over to the showroom. An April 16th manufactured TV set was present. He opened it and verified that it's showing zero hours. Most importantly I checked the carton all around and there's only a single tape from the factory. The TV had tape on all the four borders to protect it from scratches (The earlier one didn't have them).

To top it all, new TVs when switched on just display webOS and it stays on processing in the background for some time. If an old TV is just reset, you'll be presented with the webos startup screen directly with that little birdie asking you press "ok" on the remote.

So, I was satisfied and asked him to give the TV, said I'll take it home with me. He can come back later and then take back the old set.

Once again, thank you all for your support.

If there's any way I can thank the contributions to this thread, it's probably only by contributing back to it. I did the mistake of not checking this thread thinking that I know how to check the usage hours and so that would be sufficient.

Read on to know my story, which is still not resolved!

I finalized on LG 49LF6300 and checked a few stores. Everywhere I asked for the remote but didn't actually check the usage hours. I finally decided on the price and went to Modern Electronics, Chinchwad.
The reason : 5 years back, I bought a TV, washing machine and a fridge there. I liked the service and so went there and quoted a price. They were ok with that.

It's Gudi Padwa and they said they already have five orders. I said I'm not in a hurry and asked them to let me know when they have the stock delivered.

Surprisingly they call me up the next day in the afternoon to inform that the stock has arrived. It's a Saturday. I reach there at 07:30pm and reiterate that I'll be checking the usage hours. I'm promised that a fresh unit will be sent from the warehouse.
First mistake : I should've gotten cautious and noted down the serial number and usage of the display unit. I did not.

By 10pm the TV is delivered to me.
Second mistake : I should've checked the packing, properly. By properly I mean the bottom of the pack too. More on this will follow.

I was promised that a service engineer visit will be arranged on Sunday. So I didn't open the pack and waited. Finally the SE didn't turn up. So I called them up, said I'll mount it on a stand.
I opened the pack and the panel is clean. No suspicion.
I mounted it and switched it on. The webos welcome screen popped up. No suspicion.
Upon initialization I checked the usage hours. 33 hours For me: BIG suspicion. For wife : She said, they must've tested it and so the usage hours.

View attachment 20672

Noticed that the borders didn't come with the plastic film. The right side border had some scratches too.

View attachment 20673

I'm still uneasy. Monday is a holiday for the showroom. So I called up the SA who worked on this deal. No response; left a message. No callback. So I shot an email to their email address with a pic of the usage hours. No response. I began to feel bad. They sounded so genuine and were happy that I'm a loyal customer returning back to them.

I called up LG customer care and asked "shouldn't new TVs come with 0 hours of usage?". They responded with a "YES". I called up again. "Sir, if it's showing 33 hours, then it must've been used. Contact the dealer".

On Tuesday, I called up the SA. He very nicely explained that these are the testing hours at the factory and he has seen OLED TVs with 300hours. If I'm still not happy he said he'll replace it.
That had me thinking : Wife said the same too. Maybe I'm overreacting. But my heart said : Whatever be the case : Why should I get a TV which is used? I paid for a new TV set!!

Then today I got a call from my wife. Accidentally she noticed something and whatsapp'ed me the below images.
Hearing her explain, I had a feeling which I can't explain; Maybe that's called the feeling of being cheated :rolleyes:

We usually do not bother checking the packing at the bottom. If you notice, LG used a tape which had the saw-cut. So all they did was slice it open; take out the TV; do whatever; put it back in and used a normal tape on top of LG's tape. Both are transparent and so they thought no one would notice. Moreover notice that the metal pins on the bottom are removed!!

View attachment 20674

View attachment 20675

View attachment 20676

I sent them to the SA, called him up and asked him to explain that. He fumbled; said that maybe they opened it at the factory for testing. I just said that I'm not happy. He said he'll replace it with a fresh unit. But then, "Sir, you shouldn't have wall-mounted it. It's registered with LG in your name. It'll be a problem..blah..blah. I'll still try to replace it for you".

We went to the showroom this evening. Biggest Surprise The demo unit is missing :mad: If only I noted down the serial earlier or If I had opened the pack immediately after the delivery, checked the usage and went to the showroom, it would've been a different story.

All through this episode, what's good to note is the friendly nature of the SA. Not once did he argue or talk rudely. I just said that I want it replaced. I explained how particular I'm about things and how they disappointed me.
He turned towards his Boss and said, "Sir says the unit is used and wants it to be replaced. Do we have stock?". As expected the answer was "No Sir, it'll take one week". I said "You gave me this TV in one day??".

They were very polite. So I said, "I've posted this in the forums, our pune WA groups about how nicely you treated me as a loyal customer. Please do not break it. I'll not use that TV and will keep it disconnected."

The owner said "Sir, be assured. You can watch the TV and we will make all efforts to procure the stock and provide a fresh piece".

I'm not the type who can argue, talk cleverly or intelligently. Maybe that's an inbuilt fault of mine. So I asked them again to get it asap and came back home.

Friends, this is my experience. I thought I should start a new thread, but then posted here as I want people to know how important it is to read this thread and not fall into traps. What I encountered is probably new, a very clever manipulation.

Can you also suggest if I should highlight this to LG. Are there any other channels other than the helpline and email? Should I wait till one week, keeping my faith in the dealer?

Thank you for reading,

Ravi

Hi Ravi,

Just read your story and a similar case happened with me as well. I purchased a LG 4K TV from Vijay Sales, GB Road, Thane. They delivered the unit to me. I hooked it up and everything was setup. I configured WiFi and everything else and just I went to upgrade the TV firmware, I noticed the usage hours to be 300+!! I was shocked!

Another thing that was strange was there was dust at most of the places where the screws are tightened!

I never knew such a feature was available in the modern TVs and by just sheer accident found this out. I then noticed scratches on the TV remote, which confirmed my suspicion. I went to Vijay Sales and threatened them to pull to Consumer court for duping a customer and they promptly replaced the unit!!

Regards,

Pushkaraj

if the display is for like 15 days to a month then its good!! reason beeing the product is seasoned. Whatever heating has to take place is already done!! if any component has to blow up means it will be over within the display period. so once you take it to your home it will certainly have a very good life span.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back