Confused between Sony HX850 Vs W900A ( 40 inch 3D)

Sonu1

Experts ,

Please help me resolving the confusion bwt Sony HX850 vs W900A ( 40inch model ).

Though I see the W900 has many new features like mirror imaging, Triluminos Display technology and all but I am but I get concerns about few of the below mentioned notes which read in multiple forums and need your help -

1. W900A Black/darkness is not as great as HX850.
2. People has talked about picture leakages at the borders of the W900A.
3. both the tv has X Reality Pro engine but somehow HX850 pictures looks more clear.
4. Monolithic Design of HX850 is far better looking then 40inch W900A.

Can you please help me with your opinion and expert advise to choose the best and take a final call.

hopeful to get best suggestions form this great forum.

Hi,

First i would like to tell you, is to check the availabilty of HX850.
Most stores will not have it in stock now.
Next, if it is available, check if it is a fresh piece (Very doubtful) or a demo/display piece (Most likely).
If you are getting a fresh piece of 40"HX850, Then pls go for it else W900 all the way.
Had it been for a 46", i would have suggested the 46"W950 :)

2. People has talked about picture leakages at the borders of the W900A.
Didn't notice light leakage on the W900A but then as I will keep saying for the rest of this post, I did not do a detailed demo and have the demo area darkened. My HX850 does not leak light but I can see the emitters at the lower corners on completely dark scenes or very high darkness scenes, especially in a COMPLETELY darkened room. Doesn't bother me since I never watch TV in complete darkness.

4. Monolithic Design of HX850 is far better looking then 40inch W900A.
W950 vs HX850 would be an apples to apples comparison looks-wise. The W950 which is this year's incarnation of the HX850 does have a monolithic design. Looks lovely and I liked the single slab of glass front and back design of the W950 vs the HX850 which is not a glass slab from the rear, though it doesn't matter since I've wall mounted my HX850 and hardly look at it's rear end. :)

1. W900A Black/darkness is not as great as HX850.

Black levels on the W950 seemed just as good as the HX850 from last year, but I did not do a detailed demo. Colors seemed too oversaturated, could have been the Sony Center people, again did not have time for a detailed demo like I did last year when I got the HX850.

However, what I really want is the X9004 with it's stunning 4K resolution and noticeable difference in picture quality, brightness and detail. Just did not care for the speakers on it's sides which is a departure from the svelte looks of the W950 series. If it hadn't been for this, you could have had my HX850 if you wanted it, for a price of course, and I would have gone for that X9004. ;)

The HX850's are going to be hard to come by this late, so don't worry about the comparisons. My suggestion, would be for you to arm yourself with a bunch of test videos and demo clips on a pendrive and head off to a Sony Center for an hour or three of testing this years lineup.

Sony's done again this year what it did with the HX850 last year and I am sure you'll find something good in the lineup this year. Another piece of advice, go for the largest screen you can afford keeping in mind your room size. I've already grown accustomed to my 46" TV and now want a 55" or larger.

Experts,

Need help in buying a 50 inch Plasma, Samsung or Panasonic...traveling to Bangkok next week so thinking of pulling a deal in Bangkok itself. Though there are doubts regarding lugging such a big Tv and the custom duty but still think it may be more economical :D

Please help me as I have read Panasonic is more reliable (do not know which has more bells and whistles) but PQ, Full HD (can do away with 3D), inbuilt Wifi, Internet Browser, decent sound and looks are a priority.

Also, please let me know if the warranty would be applicable in India if I buy a Tv from Bangkok and if anyone has been to Bangkok, which is a good place to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Mukul
P.S- I am a newbie and this is my first post :clapping:

Back