Convert 110 V(US standard) equipment to 220V(Indian standard) without transformer !

Re: Convert 110 V(US standard) equipment to 220V(Indian standard) without transformer

thank u guys for this thread,
i just converted my BIC AMERICA 12" sub 110V TO 220V in 5 minutes.
without any hassles. and now its shaking my floor... ;-)

thanx again.

Re: Convert 110 V(US standard) equipment to 220V(Indian standard) without transformer

Has anybody tried this procedure on Denon avr's? If yes please do share your knowledge.

Thanking in advance.

Has anybody tried this procedure on Denon avr's? If yes please do share your knowledge.

Thanking in advance.

I too have a Denon avr and am using a step down since past 10 years. Tomorrow i will be opening it and check if this minor change in connection is possible.

I too have a Denon avr and am using a step down since past 10 years. Tomorrow i will be opening it and check if this minor change in connection is possible.

Waiting for your findings.

Waiting for your findings.

Hi Friends,

Almost leaning to buy an AVR from US. While researching for the 220V/110V found this thread and also few similar threads which says based on the jumper settings/transformers series/parallel configuration the power source can directly be used in India without the help of a step-down transformer.

has any one tried this with their AVR in India so far? This would give immense confidence for me to buy the AVR here and Planning to spend the money(of step down transformer) on a UPS instead :)

Please share your experience/thoughts/advice

Thanks in advance
Ravi

hi kalpen
how did u manage to do it in the sub???
i have got energy take classic 5.1 with a sub which requires 120v 60 Hz 1.0 a

Hi
These are the pictures from my Yamaha RX-V673. Can it be converted to 220v ?
tpHJ9iL.jpg

HRnTtn7.jpg

70AGjE1.jpg

I6ro4XG.jpg

dvhfB77.jpg

pmDpPb3.jpg

-navin

Last edited:

Can you please send me the service manual of Yamaha RX-V665 ?

There's also the 10Hz difference in the frequency. Might not matter for most devices, but check just in case. Probably the ones with motors and stuff - CDPs, Turn tables etc. ?

Turntables especially those with AC motors will be an issue. Most other equipment convert AC to DC so will not have an issue.

Hi
These are the pictures from my Yamaha RX-V673. Can it be converted to 220v ?
-navin

Sorry I do not believe this power supply can be converted. Most systems that can be converted tend to be 2 ch. audio. Check if the primary of the transformer has 4 terminals. If it does there is a fair chance the 4 terminals represent 2 independent coils that are wired in series for 220/240V countries and in parallel for 110/220V countries.

Oh and guys, it is real embarrassing if you call me Mr. Advani, Navin Sir, and other such fancy names. Plain old 'navin' will do fine. I am just an old man who fools around with audio when he has the time. Thanks.

Last edited:

Originally Posted by prasun.gera View Post
There's also the 10Hz difference in the frequency. Might not matter for most devices, but check just in case. Probably the ones with motors and stuff - CDPs, Turn tables etc. ?

Turntables especially those with AC motors will be an issue. Most other equipment convert AC to DC so will not have an issue.

Even turntables have servo speed controllers - so 50 HZ shouldn't be a problem.
For that matter the so called 50 HZ supply in India is never a constant and usually drops to 47 HZ. So if the turn tables depend on the incoming HZ for speed control there will be a lot of variation.

Even turntables have servo speed controllers - so 50 HZ shouldn't be a problem.

Most turntable do. Some like the VPI Scout do not.

See link.
6moons audio reviews: VPI Scout
"24-pole AC synchro affair from supplier Hurst and couples quite directly to the AC line frequency"

As rare as turntables like the Scout are I did imply (in my previous post) that this applies only to turntables that have AC (Sync) motors like the Amber TT3/TT5, VPI HRX/Scoutmaster/Scout, etc...

Most turntable do. Some like the VPI Scout do not.

See link.
6moons audio reviews: VPI Scout
"24-pole AC synchro affair from supplier Hurst and couples quite directly to the AC line frequency"

As rare as turntables like the Scout are I did imply (in my previous post) that this applies only to turntables that have AC (Sync) motors like the Amber TT3/TT5, VPI HRX/Scoutmaster/Scout, etc...

Thanks Navin - interesting

Hello want to know if you were able to convert Yamaha RX-V665 to use 220V?

Rotel India told me that they would do it for Rs 7000 !!![/QUOTE]

customer friendly indeed :mad: ,,,,,may be they are doing it with audiophile screw drivers with titanium iridium alloy tip:D

Denon india asked me the same amount for my Denon 3312.

hi yogibear,

can you pls share photo of your DIY

Hey, I would like to change the setting too on my Luxman amplifier...please shar epictures and anyone in Delhi you know of who would be able to do it for me...

I did it with my Rotel RMB 1066. The manual somewhere said that an expert/professional should do it without mentioning the actual steps. I just opened it up and the power supply board had two sets of jumpers soldered at 110V. I just moved them to 220V. But after that I also traced the circuit and checked for continuity and open circuits with a multimeter to be just sure.

Before operating it at 220V, I wrote to Rotel UK and waited for their response. Rotel India told me that they would do it for Rs 7000 !!!

A week later Rotel UK replied that I did the right thing and thats all is needed !

Wow ready to rock on 220V and bought from US at a fraction of price !

Can post pics if anybody interested.

Will try the transformer windings idea with a whole lot of other gear which operates at 110V. Great thread ! Thanks so much !!!!!!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back